You are not logged in.

#326 2010-11-27 01:09:45

Maximilien de Robespierre

Re: What are you drinking at the moment ?

Last edited by Maximilien de Robespierre (2010-11-27 02:04:57)

#327 2010-11-27 01:49:04

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Some interesting beer and whisky discussion. There's a lot of new micro-breweries in the Benelux that are brewing in the English style with plenty of hops. They've started to cotton on to the fact that overly cane sugared ales i.e. Dubbels and the like are in the most part inferior to beer brewed with hops as a preservative. I will be auditioning some IPA's a little bit later, if I can give the missus the slip.

I was in Mumbai two weeks ago and the duty free was overly stocked with Johnnie Walker with Gold at USD$37 and Blue at USD$80 per 750ml bottle, needless to say I returned with lap top bag full of contraband. At those prices I can forgive the caramel added, the chillfiltering and the blend status.

Edgar Allan Poe was no stranger to beer, at least when not imbibing Kendal black drop:
'Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain —
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.'

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#328 2010-11-27 02:18:25

#329 2010-11-27 02:20:08

meister

My 21 year old son says the new trick in Sydney is to get a bottle of vodka and then stick a few of your favority lollies ...marshmallows ..rasberry snakes...whatever. Then place infused vodka bottle in the top deck of the dish washer. Leave for full cycle. Then remove at end of cycle...freeze and pour you favourite flavoured vodka....

There you go Gen Y does it again.

Last edited by meister (2010-11-27 02:20:43)

#330 2010-11-27 02:27:35

Last edited by Maximilien de Robespierre (2010-11-27 02:31:53)

#331 2010-11-29 00:31:54

Helly0Broser

In this forum is it so that when you have something to drink or if u r drinking something then only have discussion here!

#332 2010-11-29 00:56:35

Last edited by Maximilien de Robespierre (2010-11-29 00:56:49)

#333 2010-11-29 04:17:04

Kingstonian

At the weekend, mostly Sambrooks Wandle http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/beers.html
It is a good strength for a session beer and since Youngs left Wandsworth it is the best choice local beer.

The Bricklayers in Putney used to server the full Timothy Taylor range but had problems with decent supplies. http://www.bricklayers-arms.co.uk/

The landlady even offered to collect the beer direct from the brewery, but the brewers were not interested in a flagship pub down South. So now she has a range of beers. Hophead Dark Star is a good one. She also had Burton Bridge Bitter on. I stick to Sambrooks mostly. It is useful to be able to shout the name over customers heads when there is a crowd in and you cannot see the pump clips.

I collected a new car from Burton on Trent a few years ago. It was painful to see a Coors logo above a town that was once the epicentre of British brewing.

Last edited by Kingstonian (2010-11-29 04:17:47)

#334 2010-11-29 10:51:22

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Years ago I executed an audit on Bass Brewery in Burton. It was basically no different to being on a chemical plant and there was very little evidence of the brewers art.  In the canning plant, I found out that all the major brewers actually can different brand beers from week to week.  One week they're breweing Stella Artois the next its Carling Black Label.  And the scale of the production was industrial on a grand scale.  Completely souless.

Made the mistake of purchasing some barley wines and double IPA's at the weekend, nothing less than 8.3%. These kind of ales can only be used as a night cap, you can't really turn them into session ales and get a real good beer buzz. This is the microbrewery:
http://www.emelisse.nl/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=139

Also just put an order in for this fine Trappist ale, brewed in the English style and extremely quaffable, will be the ale of choice in the Hepcat household over Christmas. And with the good monks brewing it and saying a prayer over each case, the hangovers will be non-existent:
http://www.latrappe.nl/I'm being a wanker at the moasp?m=P111

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2010-11-29 11:06:18)

#335 2010-11-29 11:08:56

Kingstonian

The White Horse, Parsons Green, or Sloaney Pony as it is also called, had an Old Ales festival at the weekend
http://www.whitehorsesw6.com/about.php

I declined the offer to attend. I can only drink one of those beers and last year there was no alternative on offer and it  was too crowded as well. Even the Youngs pub on the other side of the green has gone downhill into gastropub territory.

Got a Duvel from Tesco though which is not too bad for an 8.5% beer.

#336 2010-11-29 11:43:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

One of my first trips as an international business traveller was with my old boss to Belgium, he liked to sup his ales and whilst waiting for the rest of us to meet him in the hotel bar started to get lashed into the Duval thinking it was around 3.6%.

#337 2010-11-29 12:44:02

Grossgrain Silk

Bandol - La Bastide Blanche 1997. Still slightly tough but opens out after an hour or so and is pretty lifted, with great underlying minerality. Bring on the sausage.

#338 2010-11-29 21:41:45

#339 2010-11-30 04:32:11

Avgvstvs

Last edited by Avgvstvs (2010-11-30 04:38:50)

#340 2010-12-01 13:12:36

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Black Sheep wonderfully effervescent and alive on draft, dull and lifeless in a bottle.

Currently getting lashed into Johnnie Walker Blue Label: one seriously over priced blend.  The JW Gold is a much finer representation of the blenders art.

#341 2010-12-05 02:39:31

I've knocked down an entire 3/4 liter of Black Bottle tonight, and I polished off the same of 12 year-old Jameson's last night.  The thing I've learned about good whiskey is that it seldom leaves you - or at least me - hungover, unless one goes completely overboard.  One cheap bottle of red wine, and I feel like Lucky Jim, waking up with mouth like a latrine; but good whiskey just leaves one a little fuzzy in the morning.  Ambrosia, it is.

#342 2010-12-05 03:05:30

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Indeed Maximilien, good whisky will seldom, if ever leave you hung over, unless you mix it with other inferior alcohols. There are some notable exceptions: JW Red for instance.

Cheap wine will get you every time, I don't know whether its the sulphates or whatever, but I can drink a bottle of wine and be seriously hungover the whole of the following day. There's a lot of information out there that informs us that modern mass produced wine has no health benefits whatsoever. And notably, all the healthy octogenarians in my family have all drunk whisky and many a daily dram.

My grandfather who died aged 88 of asbestosis (so all being equal he could have lived a lot longer) swore that you couldn't get drunk on wine. He didn't rate its taste or effects at all. He was a Laphroaig man. I remember one Sunday afternoon arriving at my grandparents house and my grandfather who was in his early eighties at the time, must have had a notion to get drunk and was steadily working his way through eight cans of Tennants Extra Strong beer, somewhere in the range of 10% proof.  It takes a man to do that, and whisky will give you the constitution requried for such activities in your old age.

Whisky is full of antioxidants that mop up free radicals in food and has inspired a great many works of literature. A great Scottish, Irish and Welsh export.

#343 2010-12-05 03:27:37

#344 2010-12-09 12:44:20

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

After a day like mine, only a superlative whisky will do; a Provenance single barrel bottling of 10 year old Glengoyne - Autum distillation.

This is what a good Highland whisky is all about: un-chillfiltered, fresh with malty sweet and heather and a whiff of plaids and sword play.  After several glasses, one can almost glimpse Brigadoon.

#345 2010-12-09 17:36:44

Grossgrain Silk

Linkwood 15 yr old - Gordon & Macphail bottling. Sweet and long.

#346 2010-12-09 20:05:30

Admiral Cod

Dewar's, and Southern-Anglo-Celtic rock.

"You will find that men of style and their adherents are considered either political enemies of the people or reckless, gluttoness consumers while most live in squalor" - FNB

#347 2010-12-11 07:20:06

The_Shooman
A pretty face

l've been making some interesting drinks during the week and i'm feelin' really good. Been sprouting lots of seeds and making `green drinks'.

*  organic alfalfa juice
*  weed juice
*  flower juice (squeezed from yellow dandelion)
*  organic buckwheat juice
*  organic fenugreek + mung bean juice
*  organic fermented wheat water made from 2 day old sprouts (a brilliant tarty drink that is amazing and contains more acidopholous/bifidus than animal yoghurt)

l'm real enjoying these awesome drinks. l might even polish off a big plate of alfalfa before bed (my favourite food). Nothing nicer than a big plate of salad greens, but never should vegetables be used; sprouts, seeds, and grasses are always best.

When you start doing the fun stuff like this, you only start needing 2 hours sleep a night. l used to get by on 90 minutes a night with the occasional need for a 3 hour night rest. Life become less stressful because you have alot more time to do things, mornings will never be rushed again. lt's really great.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2010-12-11 08:23:43)

#348 2010-12-11 07:21:39

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#349 2010-12-11 07:25:51

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#350 2010-12-21 13:27:25

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Hazelburn from the Springbank distillery.

Board footer