You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-18 06:36:20

Chris_H
Ivy Original

Lormoc US-made loafers

I wondered if anybody has heard of these loafers, I was in Gordon Scott in Watford yesterday and spotted some US-made loafers called Lormoc. They are certainly new to me.

They are handsewn beef rolls similar to  Weejuns or Sebagos, but with a different cut out on the strap. They have leather soles similar to Bass rather than the oily Sebago ones. £99 a pair in black or antique tan.

It makes a refreshing change to see a new US-made brand, rather than the usual news of another shoe maker going off-shore.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#2 2007-02-18 08:07:55

Tony Ventresca

Re: Lormoc US-made loafers

#3 2007-02-18 12:36:23

Terry Lean

REALLY like those.
They got The Look.

"One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing"

#4 2007-02-18 14:46:37

Tony Ventresca

#5 2007-02-20 12:43:31

Terry Lean

Bump.
I'm looking at these to calm myself down and to encourage healing thoughts of London Ivy...
Olive poplin sack suits,
Blue soft collar OCBDs,
Burgundy silk knit ties,

... I'm going to my 'happy place' now...

t.

"One of these mornings

#6 2007-02-21 03:39:14

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2007-02-21 04:28:47

Terry Lean

Old stock anything is the stuff to buy now ASAP, IMHO.
And the Brooks OCBD while still US made.
When they're gone, they're gone.

"One of these mornings

#8 2007-02-21 14:54:17

Chris_H
Ivy Original

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#9 2007-07-06 16:58:45

Tony Ventresca

#10 2007-07-08 16:28:48

Horace

The Shoemart had some US-made Sebago's on sale about six months ago.  Whether they have any left, I'm not sure.  But it might be worth the call.  I think I'll call them myself, as my Weejuns (resoled about 3 times, heels  countless times) will soon be on their last legs.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#11 2009-02-25 00:30:43

TheWeejun

Just to resurrect this post - I saw John Rushton yesterday and he told me that the Spanish company Lorens (who made the loafer in TVs pic above in Spain) bought the old Sebago factory.

The company is fronted outside Spain by my old friend Doug Pope who for many years helmed the great Tecnic Shoe Company in Rushden, Northants. Tecnic were not well know as a brand but as a maker they made fantastic quality shoes for other brands. For many years I had the best pair of snuff suede playboys made for Clarks Italy (nothing like the UK stores back then that sold shoes only for your strange uncle billy to go trainspotting in).

Doug was also behind the John Spencer brand when it moved to Spain after Tecnic folded. If anyone knows how to produce quality shoes he does and what a fantastic idea to buy the old Sebago place? Like the traditional British makers the American brands happily march into obscurity offshore whilst leaving their real heritage behind them.

No one is suggesting that Sebago, Bass et al could exist only making a few models for us nitpickers and survive, but intelligent brands understand that selling heritage is valuable and filters down. I wouldn't care how many pairs of nasty sticky Dominican made weejuns Bass sold if it meant they offered the Heritage models again (made in US) and like others here on FNB I would pay a real premium for originality.

As it is at least we have Ebay!

BTW, that gorgeous tan colour (similar to the perennial best seller for Sebago in Italy in whisky) is a fantastic colour but Paul at John Rushton said it sold the least.

The Weejun

www.theweejun.com

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#12 2009-02-25 00:40:44

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Many thanks for the information. I'm also enjoying your blog very much.
Best -
Jim.

#13 2009-02-25 07:46:33

Tony Ventresca

#14 2011-09-01 05:46:37

Republican Party Reptile

A bump for this.  Woof drew it to my attention.

#15 2011-09-01 09:25:49

wahoo!

#16 2012-03-08 12:11:18

eris

Having tried them both, the John Spencers are an entirely different beast from the Lormocs in terms of fit and quality. Lormocs are MUCH nicer, the John Spencers don't really differ that much from standard plasticky Weejuns...

Shame the Spencers are more widely available, haven't seen the Lormocs outside John Rushton

#17 2012-03-08 13:02:54

Yuca

The first pair of US/US style loafers I ever bought, 3 years ago I think . . .  They look good and, for whatever reason, I have had a number of compliments on these shoes.  It seems people do notice them.

And yet, in all honesty, I doubt very much I will ever wear mine again.

some sort of banal legitimacy

Board footer