You are not logged in.

#26 2012-05-06 13:45:05

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Re: Mr. Jason Jules on The Blank Canvas -

Liam, it's Sergei Sviatchenko. He is an artist who does http://closeupandprivate.com/site/index.php. The site is mostly ivy-inspired fashion shoots with lots of Thom Browne and RL, and Gant Rugger.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lfZqH9J07J0/TOkiSFX1HyI/AAAAAAAAAYs/V7nekOcKdr4/s1600/sergei.jpg

Last edited by The Thin Repp (2012-05-06 14:00:06)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#27 2012-05-06 13:49:13

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

I think, he indeed has his own style. Some of it I like, some I don't. But I always find pics from him inspiring. And I wonder, how this cuff thing has been done.

Wasn't he the one who wrote about an evening where he outed himself to like the "Absolute Beginners" movie? I liked that. No, no, not the movie, god beware, no, not that movie, honestly.

Just to get a repp..

#28 2012-05-06 14:01:19

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Thanks Zach. I think I preferred his style in the first pic. That second shot of SS leaves me cold.

For the record I have a similar thing with JJ. Some shots I love and some do nothing for me. Isn't that always the case though?

It is clear, as others have said, that he knows his onions and that makes him alright in my book.

"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

suits/jackets 36/37S. waist 29-30. shirts 14.5/15 32.

#29 2012-05-06 14:03:08

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

... and I'm about 90% sure he's not Jim, so that's a positive.

"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

#30 2012-05-06 14:06:01

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The Thin Repp wrote:

Liam, it's Sergei Sviatchenko. He is an artist who does http://closeupandprivate.com/site/index.php. The site is mostly ivy-inspired fashion shoots with lots of Thom Browne and RL, and Gant Rugger.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lfZqH9J07J0/T … sergei.jpg

A load of pictures of people whose clothes don't fit them !

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#31 2012-05-06 14:13:20

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

"CLOSE UP AND PRIVATE's etiquette for the modern classicist,
a loosely compiled list of scrupulous style cues for gentlemen

Slim cut suits with short legged trousers go a long way.

Buy a pair of wingtips and loafers.

The Beatles sir, listen to them and do so regularly.

Owning at least 3 oxford shirts has never done a man any harm.

Be a gentleman towards women.

Own several ties n.b. Four-in-hand knots only mix things up with a bow tie.

Watch all movies by Andrei Tarkovsky. Re-watch them.

Always consider a well-fitting navy blazer with gold buttons.

Serge Gainsbourg looked smart in a trench coat and so do you.

Own a classic cashmere v-neck and a round-neck pull-over.

Kaki chino trousers are as essential as they are basic.
Choose your pair meticulously.

Cherish a good relationship with your parents.

Sometimes looking at a nice black and white picture of your grandfather
as a young man wearing his Sunday-suit can learn you more about classic style
than reading 20 fashion magazines.

A watch you do own one do you? - should be flat, vintage, and have a leather band.

Be punctual.

Ray Ban sunglasses matter.

Stay current.

Trust the classics."

Who takes this sort of shit seriously?

#32 2012-05-06 14:20:50

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

woofboxer wrote:

Jimbo wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

I'm not really into venerating anyone over the way they dress, but if anyone does always look spot on when I see him in person or in a photo it's John Gaul and I wish he'd come back here.

He never left.

If that's the case and he's another of those idiots who have multiple identities on this forum, one of the chief reasons why people leave, then he's gone down in my estimation.

Anyway I've just remembered that one of the times I saw him he was wearing jeans with massive turnups, so now he's off my list of style heros too.

Not that that will keep him awake at night.

I think we always have a divide Online betwen the realists and the optimists. The former understand the medium and the later resist the bad news about it until they get their noses rubbed in it & then they exit the arena.

Yes, everybody could be as honest as you. No, not everybody feels the need and, even worse, some realise that to get the best from the Net it must be used on its own terms... Which are the opposite of Netiquette.

Online is just Online.  Not being kept awake at night matters more.

#33 2012-05-06 14:21:14

Chris_H
Ivy Original

He's been here before..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/seaoftunes/cordovan.jpg

The Thin Repp wrote:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lfZqH9J07J0/T … sergei.jpg

#34 2012-05-06 14:27:44

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

I think if people want to go after the net fame game then they have to buckle to their peers, trend and the viewers. This forum is what it should be about warts and all, people communicating and sharing not telling and selling.

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#35 2012-05-06 14:30:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Liam Mac wrote:

... and I'm about 90% sure he's not Jim, so that's a positive.

wink

Jason is charming company and I love both him and his wife dearly.

I have an abiding memory of him coming to see me in Franze and Evans as I sat with my wine killing time for no other reason than just to see how I was doing.

When I was so ill a few weeks back he phoned me up to keep me company & to get me writing again. Pointing me forwards in the direction of still having a life, even if it is now a rather curtailed one.

Quite simply, he is a really nice man.  And I think that niceness comes through in his approach to his clothes - He enjoys every aspect.

#36 2012-05-06 14:33:02

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Oo Bop Sh'bam wrote:

I think if people want to go after the net fame game then they have to buckle to their peers, trend and the viewers. This forum is what it should be about warts and all, people communicating and sharing not telling and selling.

Love that.

Amen.

#37 2012-05-06 14:46:00

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Aye, Jim, he does seem like a nice guy and that's about all I hope for from a person. It generally means that what they have to say is worth hearing, even if it doesn't sit exactly right with your view of things. It's why I like your writing and why I love OCBD's blog. It's why I value the posters who i value here. All good eggs.

#38 2012-05-06 15:10:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Jimbo wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

Jimbo wrote:

He never left.

If that's the case and he's another of those idiots who have multiple identities on this forum, one of the chief reasons why people leave, then he's gone down in my estimation.

Anyway I've just remembered that one of the times I saw him he was wearing jeans with massive turnups, so now he's off my list of style heros too.

Not that that will keep him awake at night.

I think we always have a divide Online betwen the realists and the optimists. The former understand the medium and the later resist the bad news about it until they get their noses rubbed in it & then they exit the arena.

Yes, everybody could be as honest as you. No, not everybody feels the need and, even worse, some realise that to get the best from the Net it must be used on its own terms... Which are the opposite of Netiquette.

Online is just Online.  Not being kept awake at night matters more.

I've met plenty of people in person who pretend to be someone else on the internet, but for far more sinister reasons than just messing about on a clothes forum.  But thanks for the advice.

John Simons

#39 2012-05-06 15:14:06

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

I thought you were happily married Woof?! You shouldn't be meeting up with strangers on the internet.

''By hurling yourself into the abyss you discover its a feather bed.

#40 2012-05-06 15:26:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

One For Bop wrote:

I thought you were happily married Woof?! You shouldn't be meeting up with strangers on the internet.

Ha ha! Now what make of T shirt is your avatar guy wearing?

John Simons

#41 2012-05-06 15:39:27

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Andy - I wouldn't patronise you for the world. If it looked like I did then I'm very sorry.

Best -

#42 2012-05-06 15:52:17

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Jimbo wrote:

Andy - I wouldn't patronise you for the world. If it looked like I did then I'm very sorry.

Best -

No offence taken matey!

John Simons

#43 2012-05-07 00:22:40

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I'm very pro-Jules and not only because he has studied Jack Kerouac and his piece on the reaction of the London luvvies to his views of 'Absolute Beginners' is a blog entry classic. Few in the internet unreality have any kind of self-deprecating angle or humour, which in Jules case is refreshing and cuts through competing ego bullshit.

He is his own man, who as Zach has rightly pointed out mixes elements of Ivy, street, work wear and the modern. It's the street angle to his style that grates with a few here, I suspect.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#44 2012-05-07 02:05:10

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I guess again it's that Chiltern Street / Shorditch High Street divide. Jason goes everywhere, but I think his spiritual home remains Out East. I was the same in the days when I actually left the house - But my spiritual home remains Up West.
Dean from Present is Out East too... John Gall is Up West...  Etc.

#45 2012-05-07 02:59:24

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

For me I think the purist approach is the best. I'll but my hands up now and say the approach of overly meditated and worked-out outfits in Ivy doesn't really seem to capture the spirit of it. I'm not saying things shouldn't co-ordinate or be interesting, but it should be in the most subtle of ways with giving the impression of minimum effort. People like Heikki, and Danielle have hit this nail often, and I still think Heikki probably is the best example of men's style on the internet. My problem with people playing up to today's tastes are just shooting themselves in the foot in the long run, anything that looks to much of now will quickly look shit.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv74/heikkik/omatkuvat/_MG_0594.jpg?t=1255439054

This man will succeed over any blog-whore or west-end darling, I'm sure he probably doesn't care, but I need an example to show people what I think is the true direction of timeless men's style.

And here is that pic of D again...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg16/scaled.php?server=16&filename=picture004jcq.jpg&res=landing

Last edited by One For Bop (2012-05-07 03:03:22)

#46 2012-05-07 03:35:01

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Check Alex Roest also -

#47 2012-05-07 03:41:33

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv74/heikkik/omatkuvat/alex3.jpg

Thanks Jim, I think I missed his posts.

Ok might have been better with a crew to give a curve against the sharp lines of the lapel, but still lovely colours. Like I said, Andy is/was right, I was wrong I don't think Ivy suits the world of peacocky blogs. It's not for the person who wants to leap out off the page. You do that with Ivy ie colours and it becomes quickly preppy.

Also I think these rules are important to maintain the style it is like a prefix of the design, ok people will want to play their own thing, and that is cool, but the human body hasn't changed shape and our temperaments are still similar. Ivy does the job if you're willing to pay its wage. THis point of view comes from me trying so hard to break the rules. I think many of them are therefore a reason you just have to admit to yourself you don't know better.

Last edited by One For Bop (2012-05-07 03:46:26)

#48 2012-05-07 03:46:03

Kingston1an

Does anybody remember that white stuff you used to get get to make dirty plimsolls white again?

Reminds me of school. Failure to have clean plimsolls meant you risked a beating from the P.E. teacher.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#49 2012-05-07 04:01:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

'Blanko' or something?   God how I remember it !

Nice smell. And it worked !

#50 2012-05-07 04:10:27

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Hm. Scroll it down quickly -are you sure, that these are three different guys? Dark tweed/wool coats, BDs, sweaters..muted colours. Don't ge me wrong, I like it just like you, but I also see whay someone who is more playful wants to try out things.

Maybe, if we see it as a spectre with JJ on one end and the muted look on the other?

Last edited by Axelist (2012-05-07 04:17:53)

Just to get a repp..

Board footer