You are not logged in.

#1676 2012-08-26 02:10:49

fxh
Big Down Under.

Re: What are you drinking at the moment ?

The Cover Drive Cabernet Sauvignon is $20aud here on discount. I'll try a bottle. What do youse pay for it?

Last edited by fxh (2012-08-26 02:12:44)

#1677 2012-08-26 02:31:58

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^18 Euros for the Merlot. The Cabernet Sauvignon is around 25 Euros when available, the Cover Drive Merlot is a bit heavy for my liking. I wopping 15% too.

A rather nice Bordeaux last night: Chateau Bel-Air, La Chappelle, 2010 vintage. 13.50 and well worth it.

Started-off on the tried and tested favourite of Tony Blair whilst in number 10: a large Canadian Club 12 year old with plenty of ice and then to the wine. And it works a treat. I can recommend this method when you're a bit bored of beer, don't want to hit the whisky and are not a particular wine connoisseur.

It's the Delft beer festival this arvo, but its a serious wash out with heavy rain. Too heavy rain for bike riding too. Better put the kettle on then!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#1678 2012-08-26 02:46:46

fxh
Big Down Under.

15% is pretty standard here for a red.

I can remember when knocking off  a bottle or two of red by yourself was a pleasant experience - at less than  8%. Now its a real challenge. especially next morning.

#1679 2012-08-26 03:06:42

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

Last edited by One For Bop (2012-08-26 03:07:22)

''By hurling yourself into the abyss you discover its a feather bed.”

#1680 2012-08-27 13:49:17

Kingston1an

Manchester ales.  Hydes , Robinson's and some splendid Holts at bargain prices compared to London.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#1681 2012-09-02 00:05:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I use to really like that Banana Bread beer from Wells. Not sickly at all.

Seem to be moving in a wine direction lately, which may not be a good move, as there's too much crap out there that you can buy only to find it's not to your taste, unless you stick with what you know, but then the spirit of adventure is lost. 

Had half a bottle of an Aussie Semillon last night over dinner, a 2008 vintage from Tim Adams grown in the Claire Valley wherever that is in South Australia. It's unusual to be able to source a good Semillon in the Netherlands as its not to the Dutch taste. I like a good semillon as its generally that robust you can sip and savour a couple of glasses or half a bottle and that's satisfying enough.

#1682 2012-09-03 09:15:00

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#1683 2012-09-05 10:27:59

Kingston1an

Gauloise blond Belgian refermented beer (6.3%) from a Chimay glass.

On special offer at Lidl.

Looks like Tesco used to sell it in bigger bottles  http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/

du Bocq
La Gauloise Blonde

ABV 6.3% • Vol 750 ml • bottle • Belgium • Mid-price • Flavour 7.5 • Bottle Conditioned
Other beers from du Bocq
Other beers from Belgium

Having won the 'best import' award in the Tesco beer challenge, this Belgian bottle-conditioned ale was picked up in a branch of the well-known UK supermarket chain. According to the label, the name derives from the female Gauls who harvested the barley to brew beer in Roman times.
It pours a bright, light blond colour, with a fine-bubbled head that sinks quite rapidly, leaving a thin coating. A fairly thick layer of yeast was visible at the bottom of the bottle with a few lumps floating above it - although it was easy to pour clear to begin with, the dregs were inevitably cloudy (and somewhat chewy). Nose is lightly fruity and spicy, wtih notes of lemon, lime, vanilla, coriander and cloves underlain by a herbal hint of hops. On the tongue it is immediately sparkly and lively. Light, zesty citrus fruit and spice notes are again very apparent, with the addition of banana and bubblegum. (Several of these flavours imply a wheat component to this beer, though there is no mention of this on the label or the website.) The lemon notes are particularly highlighted by a slight citrus sourness around the sides of the tongue, although this is balanced somewhat by a touch of sweetish, almost honeyish pale malt. Despite the initial liveliness, the beer is fairly smooth on the palate, with the alcohol content remaining well hidden other than the hint of sweetness and a gentle alcohol heaviness towards the finish. This leads into an aftertaste of vanilla, honey and zesty lemon, with just a hint of coriander.
A quality blond ale, subtle, refreshing and perilously moreish.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2012-09-05 10:33:16)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#1684 2012-09-05 19:14:26

prince nez

Been into the Aussie cool climate wines lately - from Orange and Mudgee in particular. I have to say I think they are generally better value than the Hunter Valley or Coonawarra offerings, as the recognition of the region isn't there with the cool climates, although the quality is (and getting better).

One day their wines might be up there with McLaren Vale and Margaret River.

#1685 2012-09-06 14:14:33

Kingston1an

Thatcher's Gold Somerset cider 4.8%

#1686 2012-09-06 14:24:16

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

How is it Kingy? Any nastiness in the mix? That bloody glucose syrup nonsense!

#1687 2012-09-06 14:34:32

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

#1688 2012-09-06 15:52:15

Kingston1an

Last edited by Kingston1an (2012-09-06 15:52:55)

#1689 2012-09-06 16:31:22

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

Get some of that old Rosie, and block out some days on the diary.

#1690 2012-09-07 00:38:48

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I don't like the look of that perry.

I opened another bottle of the Bel Air Bordeaux last night and I have to say it was pretty crap. This is often my experience with wine, you have a good bottle, then stock-up on the same wine and vintage and the next bottle you open its just not the same and is not as good.

#1691 2012-09-23 05:07:55

Kingston1an

Sambrook's beers from the brewery in Battersea. A splendid afternoon drinking their ales on site and being guided through the brewing process. There was a barbecue in the September sunshine and a band playing from the back of a brewery truck.

Wandle is one of my regular session beers. Good to see a young British company established in Battersea.
http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/

Sad to see that Prices Patent Candles no longer operates from their premises in nearby York Road. I remember going round there during the late 70s/80s when it was still going. They did well during the three day week days of the Heath government with tales of spivs turning up at the front door  and offering to buy stock.

Then on to The Sultan in South Wimbledon who were having a beerfest. Not many ales on, but we met friends and caught up the football scores. Sultan is a Hopback pub. Hopback would be a good model for Sambrooks to follow.  http://www.hopback.co.uk/about-us.html

Then home to watch Match of the Day and admire Lawrenson's shirt.

#1692 2012-09-25 22:32:28

Chévere

Glenmorangie 18 yo with steak

Last edited by Chévere (2012-09-25 22:32:48)

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#1693 2012-09-26 03:29:55

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#1694 2012-09-28 21:23:37

John Rotten

Balvenie 15 year old neat.

Next up, George T Stagg Kentucky Bourbon with ice..

#1695 2012-09-29 01:35:30

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#1696 2012-09-29 04:08:40

Kingston1an

Green hop beers from Kent at the Bricklayers Arms in Putney. Essentially fresh young hops are used in the brew.

http://www.bricklayers-arms.co.uk/kent-beer-festival-2012/

Still feeling the effects of the day before. Back this afternoon after Fulham v Man City.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2012-09-29 04:09:02)

#1697 2012-09-29 16:19:02

Bishop of Briggs

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#1698 2012-10-04 20:59:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It's definitely not an English cultural thing: steak with whisky. It's always been more of an after dinner thing, but I do like a whisky in the cocktail hour before the meal and wine.

Had a strange medically themed week, starting last Saturday when the missus bought the eldest the Dutch version of the game "Operation" where you our the surgeon and remove items from the patient's body and his red noise lights up and buzzes should you touch the sides in your delicate removal. The theme continued on Monday and Tuesday as ITV 3 have started to rerun the old James Bolan hospital comedy Only When I Laugh. In the middle of the night I started to come down with a pain similar to too much acid in the stomach and by morning the ambulance was taking me to the hospital to have brush with Chevere's noble profession with acute appendicitus. It's an ungainly, embarrassing and humbling experience to be transported in an emergency by two ambulancemen from your house when all the neighbours are getting into their cars to go to work. One has to say, couldn't fault the medical profession at Delft hospital, attentive nurses and doctors, plenty of pre-op medication keeping me in a state of bewildered contentment before the operation. Absolutely first rate performance, and now I feel as a fit as a fiddle with only mild pain when I walk about and will be back in work on Monday. Modernity, not all bad is it?

To celebrate my new found health and return from the hospital, I opened a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label that a friend had bought for me for taking them to the North Sea Jazz Festival over the summer. It has to be said that everything about the bottle wreaks of class: that blue emerald city colour and gold blue label and writing declaring the rare and vintage age of the blend, reinforced with red unique number of the individual bottle. Shame it all goes down hill from then on in, this is not as good as the Blue that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago. The taste and after glow lingers note and for the price there's so many other better single malts to be had and indeed several blends. Still, as I've said before, you know if someone gives you a bottle of the JW Blue they respect and like you. So no complaints there.

#1699 2012-10-05 01:49:32

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

ooh nasty hep, hope you're back on track!

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#1700 2012-10-05 02:05:00

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Board footer