You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-16 09:29:03

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Re: Pics from Ivy Style opening night party

I'll let Mark counter that... but i think you've missed where he's coming from a bit. Not sure he was talking about any UK/US battle... just himself and using UK ivy as a whole to help bolster it.

Mark?

#27 2012-09-16 09:30:40

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

#28 2012-09-16 09:33:15

MarkCoyle

Last edited by MarkCoyle (2012-09-16 09:48:33)

#29 2012-09-16 09:35:15

MarkCoyle

I wasn't creating or stimulating any USA vs UK battle, I hate all that and had a tussle about it here before.   I was contrasting influences, that's all to carry on the seed of a discussion.   I've eventually learned to not take it too seriously, there's no hidden intent in my posts.

{edited for basic spelling changes]

Last edited by MarkCoyle (2012-09-16 09:35:55)

#30 2012-09-16 09:52:35

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#31 2012-09-16 09:58:51

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#32 2012-09-16 10:25:00

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

If I could retain passwords, I would nee have the bother!

No it doesn't represent it at all, only the editorial turf war between Jim, JP and Chenners, are you saying that the only reputable source of Ivy in the Western hemisphere is John Simons? Because that's the only UK supplier of the style I can think of, all that goes on Chen's site doesn't represent the US, yes, you have the New York crowd, and that draws attention, but what about everything else you can still buy in America. All the quality footwear, the shirts still from Mercer and the like. I think it was drawn up as an us vs. them, and I think it's pretty short sighted and needless. Doesn't make you any better dressed, especially if you're wearing Lewin.

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#33 2012-09-16 10:38:08

MarkCoyle

My Grandfather's Pants - you read far, far too much into my posts.  It really isn't an us and them in my view.

Let me use me as an example, I'm not born in the USA, never been to the eight Ivy universities, never visited a USA Ivy original clothing shop, worked there only a few times - so I am bound to have a different cultural experience which Patricia Mears acknowledges herself in the Ivy Style book I am sat reading today.    You can say that this invalidates my interest in Ivy style and that's fine, I really wouldn't care. 

I never said I or anyone was better dressed, or that Simons is the only source.   I don't think you understand my posts at all and it's possibly best if you just ignore them.   In the same way I was explaining that UK cultural experience brings something that creates difference to Ivy style understanding here, so does the USA.   We share an interest and a language but we are different, there is some commonality but our countries are different and must be allowed to be so.

I refer to page 16 of the Ivy Style book that refers back to Boyer's original book "It's postmodern Ivy League.  It's a more conscious thing.  Even the jazz guys wjho played on campuses very consciously copied that look and modified it'.   What I am referring to is that continuum which separated by distance and culture spawns something new.   Not better, just different.  Indeed, isn't that how Ivy Style itself started as a different re-spawning of UK clothing for the USA Ivy university attendees?

I don't know who you are or the preconceptions you are bringing to the interpretations of my posts, but I suggest just ignoring them and saving yourself the time to get irate at my posts.   If you really want to get into it, use your own name and start to explain what you mean because quite honestly your last post made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

#34 2012-09-16 11:06:53

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#35 2012-09-16 11:07:46

MarkCoyle

Reading the Ivy Style book this afternoon it is useful but a dull read and the pictures of decent quality aren't that many.  It's well made but going to be resold once read and some images scanned in.   The section on Edward III is awful and doesn't actually have any pictures of him in Ivy.   Note that film has been deliberately kept out of the book according to the introduction and Steve McQueen is specifically not included (forewarning for advocates).   However Haircut 100 are mentioned and Jack Wills gets a full colour page of photos.   What the book has done wonderfully (and it has been helpful) is make me realise that I really don't care about the history in the early 20th century in detail.   I've read a lot in various books so there is inevitably some repetition and Patricia Mears says it is more an introduction than detailed coverage.   It's just that the enjoyment is in the clothes themselves (as Jim said earlier in his last post which seems on the button).   There are some glaring pictorial omissions, why not show a BB sack no 1 suit or shirt in perfect reproduction for example?   It's mostly sport coats, nothing on suits, trousers and other aspects, very little on ties, nothing on hats, no shoes shown at all other than on a couple of posters.   The book also stops once we get to jazz adoption then there is a gap until we get to revival in 1980, there is nothing on the wider adoption of Ivy in society, it becoming square in the 1960s, the casualisation of Ivy in the 1970s.  There is also nothing at all on coats other than the original polo coat.  A fair proportion of the book covers post-modern prep looks rather than trad Ivy.  As I say it's nice, but I read it in an hour and some is reprints from Boyer's book.

#36 2012-09-16 11:11:36

MarkCoyle

Is that Bop?   My goodness.    Lots to do with family (just back) then work so back in a day or so.  TTFN.

#37 2012-09-16 11:33:04

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Well you obviously do care, if you want to live in a world where no one oppose you, start a blog like Chens, and delete any comments that go against what you are saying.

If I'm not making any sense to you it was because I was referring to what Woofy had written in that last post. So let me just take the time to go through what I mean clearly, because then at least you know what my issue is.

Chens was the one to draw the assumption people that didn't have right to the clothes shouldn't wear or have proper knowledge of them, that's because that was the only angle he had over people like Jim, or anyone that commented on his blatant short-comings on the subject. His argument, I know better I'm a US citizen. Bollocks, that's not how knowledge works.

It didn't matter that he himself had been about as close to attending an Ivy League university as you or I have. I believe he also liked that angle, because if you look at his other activities, he is very interest in the monied people and climbing the ladder, no better way in, than to write about the things, these people want to do and own. So don't worry about your education, that's not an issue. With anyone outside of Chens, and his neurosis.

The UK cultural difference to Ivy is again editorial, you've been sucked in by The Ivy Look, and things on here, and actually this is probably something I have been guilty of too, Jim is very clever framing things in people's minds without the realising. But he is a guerilla marketer by his own admission.

I think we've finally got to a point know where people have forgotten a lot of the editorial in TIL, and we can now enjoy a wider range of clothes, without people waving it about like a rule book, in HWATIL the clothes were taken in a broader context, and we maybe saw a move away from the primer that was TIL.

So when you talk about the cultural differences, it is really not that different, the only thing being, people with long enough memories in America, might associate the values of Ivy League education and the clothes if they saw someone wearing them today, whilst in the UK someone unversed in Ivy, as a tailored look might just think, that person is dressed smart.

So really what I'm saying is there are no real cultural differences other than what certain bloggers and authors, and other people have played on, to create their own identify, and get some kind of notoriety from. And you've been sucked into that, and you playing up the preciousness of the position UK Ivy has over the US, where I'm sure everyone in the US was equally taken primarily taken by jazz, films, actors etc. From the 20's onwards.

There is no new Ivy, I promise you now as cool as Jason Jules might look to some, that look will be as played out as any other trend, and what get's left is the idea of classic proportions, and details standing the test of time, not trend, or an individuals take on it. This isn't a fluid, thing that's transgressing, this is almost set in stone by the designs of the period, in a way its classicism with clothes. That doesn't matter where you are on the planet, or what school you went to.

So that is my problem there is a spectre of what you were talking about that doesn't really exsit, Ivy is being re-marketed by some absolute bus-boys in New York and it's all being lorded up for a brief time, and when that's gone we can all still carry on, not as UK or US, but people into, classic Brooks, Ivy and natural shoulders.

So if you talk about TM Lewin being a good BD I won't ignore it, or if you praise anything else or say, a patch pocket is Ivy detailing, on a Marks and Spencers jacket which is clearly a take on Italian light tailoring, then again, I'm probably going to take issue with it, because to my knowledge, and till I'm stood corrected by someone that knows more than me, that's the way these things go.

#38 2012-09-16 11:39:26

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#39 2012-09-16 11:58:57

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#40 2012-09-16 12:10:53

MarkCoyle

Briefly

Haircut100 - It was to do with style and taking elements from the past.  I guess with them, shetlands.

As for New Ivy  - I think I was pretty clear in rejecting it.   The analysis is all getting too deep for me.   I'll think it over but I've never met nor spoken to anyone of the people mentioned off this forum.  It's enjoyable to discuss but really doesn't matter all that much to me.   I'm not part of a clique or a shared mindset.

My Grandfather's Pants - you accused me of being precious, jeez man read your own post back.

#41 2012-09-16 12:16:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#42 2012-09-16 12:20:49

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Ok in very basic terms then Mark, I don't think you have much of a clue as to what you are talking about.

#43 2012-09-16 12:48:17

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

#44 2012-09-16 13:47:50

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

I'm not saying anything along those lines, I'm saying a while back Mark made a reasoning that he was seeing lots of Ivy detailing and one of the place was M&S, all I'm saying is they are not Ivy details, or more to the fact, M&S have been doing those things for ages, especially on the Italian range light weight summer jackets. I'm not saying you can't wear what you want from where you want, but trying to pass of Italian style jackets at M&S as suddenly having Ivy details, or saying the TM Lewin button downs are a worthwhile purchase, is clueless, madness and all the above. I'm not just picking on the guy, he makes his bed by saying these things. And then when he gets picked up on them he goes into wet wipe mode. If I started wearing those western detail Pendletons, and saying they were boardshirts, you'd have me up. It's the same type of thing.

#45 2012-09-17 04:56:24

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#46 2012-09-17 06:38:08

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JancGJxujk

#47 2012-09-17 06:46:41

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBlst3T7bY

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#48 2012-09-17 07:09:50

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

#49 2012-09-17 13:02:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

That reminded of Weird Al Yankovic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

#50 2012-09-17 13:03:57