#51 2012-09-17 13:43:07

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

Re: Pics from Ivy Style opening night party

Liam Mac wrote:

steve mcqueen fan wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBlst3T7bY

That's actually a really good cover!

It got alot of air play on FM rock and new wave radio in NY when it came out.

I thought you would comment on their clothes Liam. It got me thinking as to how the "fashion" changes over the years. Look at Billy Joel from the same time period.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzirsNC5S1k

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#52 2012-09-18 08:59:10

harry palmer

MarkCoyle wrote:

From The_Slacker "Comparing those shots with the JS Hollywood book launch, the two different interpretations of the look  become quite apparent. I'll be sticking with Limey-Ivy."

I agree entirely and this is supported by the book.  I guess we bring a different sensibility to it in the UK, less academic and rooted in USA society and more stimulated by aspects of popular culture.  Of course many might quite rightly disagree if their inspiration is different but I can only speak personally and observe similar inclinations here.

There's a whole layer that doesn't connect with me in USA Ivy style which rather than being a 'radical conformist' makes me feel like a 'subversive unconformist'.  I enjoy this aspect and ask myself 'if Ivy Style had remained the preserve of the universities and old money origins would I be interested in it?' and the answer is definitely not.   It's the links through jazz, film, modernism etc that stimulate me as a palette for progression by those who aren't born to it.   I don't pretend any credibility through association with the style or have a desire to brush with those others would have perceived above me in society, I'm happy to make my own way.   

In a small pocket book somehow this came across intuitively in 'The Ivy Look' but the 'Ivy Style' book while excellent is a different ethos, it's the source that Marsh, Gaul, John Simons and our own Jim drew from and which has grown from this central stem into an interesting new branch of its own.   It is a purely stylistic evolution not one that is concerned on the whole with the wider social aspects and this liberates it to become something distinct.   The 'Ivy Style' book is interesting as history not as guide.

This is just one man's opinion, I'm Ron Burgundy.  Stay classy Ivy Stylists

Fantastic post and sums up my thoughts on Ivy in a nutshell!

#53 2012-09-18 10:45:54

MarkCoyle

Been away for a couple of days as busy travelling for work and back out in the morning.   Thanks for the kind words of support Grandma's Pants.  Sending this as a PM seemed a bit mean of me, so I wanted to share our growing relationship with the whole group.  You are more experienced than I and many of us so we appreciate your guidance and knowledge sharing.   Your guidance will be appreciated by others posting up on off-topic subjects such as northern soul and British clothing in the group too although I'm always pleased that you're able to focus your helpful input on my posts as it makes me feel special and very appreciated.  Don't worry about the harsh words, I know you mean them with the dark humour characteristic of this group and have my best interests at heart.   I'm sure over time we'll become chums and you will reciprocate my deepening feelings for you.   All the best as always.   Back soon, I promise.

ps, sorry for editing this a couple of times but the first draft just didn't convey the depth of my thanks for your kind responses to my posts.

Last edited by MarkCoyle (2012-09-18 10:53:56)

#54 2012-09-18 11:08:03

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

You're not Shooey trolling are you?

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#55 2012-09-20 05:35:54

the_slacker

the_slacker wrote:

Comparing those shots with the JS Hollywood book launch, the two different interpretations of the look  become quite apparent. I'll be sticking with Limey-Ivy.

I received my copy of the book today, and visually there's nothing to inform or excite me in the way the Hollywood book does. Perhaps my view will change once I've made the effort to read it, but initial impressions are disappointing.

Saying NO! to Primark

#56 2012-09-20 06:15:26

Yuca

The more I hear about this book, the less chance there is of my buying it.  It deals with designer clothing, takes 3 and a half minutes to read and doesn't look appealing.  Not my idea of 20 well spent.

'some sort of banal legitimacy'

'vintage advertisement, film, or album cover'

#57 2012-09-20 09:08:38

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

And remember, this is the book that places Haircut 100 in a central position to the Ivy canon.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#58 2012-09-20 11:20:55

Yuca

I've already done the 'down to the lake I fear' quip.

And hilarious it was too.

#59 2012-09-20 11:26:52

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

I did get an invite to FIT, it said admit love, plus one.

Last edited by My Grandfather's Pants (2012-09-20 11:27:09)

#60 2012-09-20 12:03:05

Acton_Baby

My Grandfather's Pants wrote:

I did get an invite to FIT, it said admit love, plus one.

So you didn't get to see your favourite shirts

Last edited by Acton_Baby (2012-09-20 12:04:08)

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#61 2012-09-20 12:08:19

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

No, alas not. I heard it was a fantastic day.

(I've never known a band to have so many suitable puns)

#62 2012-09-20 13:31:33

Acton_Baby

Ah MGP your nobody's fool ...

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#63 2012-09-21 01:22:21

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Anybody got any more embarrassing photos of Chenners at the party waiting on tables and looking awkard?

I must say his widow peaks are ravishingly dandyesque. All he needs now is to start slicking back his hair with Brylcream and I think he will have perfected the marriage between online image and that of the boy in real life.

#64 2012-09-25 14:47:13

Bishop of Briggs

4F Hepcat wrote:

And remember, this is the book that places Haircut 100 in a central position to the Ivy canon.

You can't be serious?!

Last edited by Bishop of Briggs (2012-09-25 16:05:18)

Contrary to the lies posted recently, I (along with several other prominent members) have been banned by the Ivy iGent moderators. Those morons have killed FNB as a forum. Move along, there's nothing of interest here any more.

#65 2012-09-25 15:46:24

MarkCoyle

I've sold my copy of the book now so I can't be perfectly accurate, but at the end of a section on modern style, it links the Prep/80s Ivy emergence to Haircut 100 and even Spandau Ballet.  I couldn't believe they were even mentioned in the book.   Mention Spandau Ballet but not Dexys.  But we've done the book a lot now, there's not that much in it.

#66 2012-09-25 16:11:15

Bishop of Briggs

MarkCoyle wrote:

I've sold my copy of the book now so I can't be perfectly accurate, but at the end of a section on modern style, it links the Prep/80s Ivy emergence to Haircut 100 and even Spandau Ballet.  I couldn't believe they were even mentioned in the book.   Mention Spandau Ballet but not Dexys.  But we've done the book a lot now, there's not that much in it.

Were Haircut 100 and Spandau Ballet popular in the US? I would have thought that Preppy students would have gone for The Smiths or more "arty" British bands.

Contrary to the lies posted recently, I (along with several other prominent members) have been banned by the Ivy iGent moderators. Those morons have killed FNB as a forum. Move along, there's nothing of interest here any more.

#67 2012-09-25 23:24:12

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Spandau Ballet fitted in with the New Romantics, they had no style influence from Ivy. The closest to Ivy elements would have been TSC.

#68 2012-09-26 02:22:00

MarkCoyle

I agree entirely which was why I highlighted how incongruous even mentioning them in the book was.

#69 2012-09-26 02:27:00

Yuca

I hope Bananarama were mentioned.

#70 2012-09-26 10:39:30

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/

Click it, view it and see what it does to you. Then take the talking stick and tell the group what you feel.

Just to get a repp..

#71 2012-09-26 11:03:25

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

WARNING. VIDEO CONTAINS MOVING IMAGES OF CHRISTIAN CHENSVOLD.

"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

suits/jackets 36/37S. waist 29-30. shirts 14.5/15 32.

#72 2012-09-26 11:06:09

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Liam Mac wrote:

WARNING. VIDEO CONTAINS MOVING IMAGES OF CHRISTIAN CHENSVOLD.

smile

Just to get a repp..

#73 2012-09-26 11:17:34

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Thank fuck it wasn't in 3D.

I actually think the video of the exhibition does it better justice than the pictures I've seen, I can only say the complete reserve with footage of Chens. Could he try and sound anymore Bostonian? Milieuuuuuuuuuuu, what about Haaaarvaaaaaard? Christ. Give it up.

#74 2012-09-26 11:26:02

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Chens is quite camp isn't he.

Still rock my khakis with a cuff and a crease

#75 2012-09-26 11:29:37

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Armchaired wrote:

Chens is quite camp isn't he.

You've clearly never talked to Jim on the phone! x

Board footer