You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-20 16:39:49

Jeff Reed

Ant "problem"

My sister comes over to visit me in my new apartment. She comes out of the bathroom. The following then took place:

Sis: You know you have ants coming in, taking little pieces of your soap, and then marching away with them, right.
Me: Yes, but I'm okay with that.
Sis: They are not going to make you a part of your colony in exchange for you letting them have your soap.
Me: (feeble mumbling, not sure what I was even trying to say)
Sis: I'm going to kill them.

We're not even twins, but she always knows!

#2 2013-07-21 01:50:46

Topstitcher

Re: Ant "problem"

We once had an ant problem out in the country under the patio... They did no harm, but made it unpleasant to sit out there. Our gardener noticed and recommended petrol. "Ants hate petrol". After discussing how long the smell would last for we agreed to let him have a go... Later that week he returned with a can of petrol and a little funnel and poured the petrol in a very measured way into all the little cracks he could see leading down to the ant colony in the sandy foundations of the patio...

Then to our horror he lit a match.

No more ants. Ever.

Country ways, eh ?

Please do not let your sister try this in your new apartment.

Best -

Jim.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... And a jolly good kick up the harris.

#3 2013-07-21 04:47:31

Jeff Reed

Haha...there's nothing in the lease prohibiting this though.

My family had property in NW Alabama. It had huge mounds of fire ants. How I loved to break them open and watch them come spilling out by the thousands. We would also use gasoline and a match to get rid of them. If we were worried about fire spreading, we would drown them.

Once one of our Charlois bulls stepped on a mound. That was some sight to see. A 2,000 lb bull enraged and then taken down by these little ants. Glad I didn't have to go in and help to wash them off the bull. He was a little pissed off.

#4 2013-07-21 07:59:05

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

My experience with ants is that once you get them, they'll return every year no matter what. We had some ants come in from the front door last week and made it to the dining room table. We put the latest poison down and seems to have done the trick, but normally, the ants build an immunity pretty rapidly, so expect them to be regrouping and ready to invade with a super breed of half orc-ant at any moment.....

The petrol sounds just the trick, either that or some agent orange from Silk Road.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2013-07-21 08:03:05

Jeff Reed

Yeah, I'm guessing they will return. I saw a few near my toothbrush this morning. I've heard they like toothpaste as well as soap. I think I'll just import some spiders. I have bigger battles which need my attention.

#6 2013-07-21 08:23:28

adorable homunculus

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#7 2013-07-21 08:42:21

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

When I was in Houston last year, I went to make a cup of tea and out of the cutlery draw jumped out a vicious cockroach straight out of a William Burroughs novel. I had a diet coke instead.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#8 2013-07-21 08:44:01

TheExpandingMan

Plant some peonies.  Ants will walk across burning lava and ignore a jelly doughnut to get to a peony bush.  We have an anthill the size of a basketball in our backyard but we never see an ant in the house because they're all out humping the peonies.

#9 2013-07-21 08:49:28

Jeff Reed

#10 2013-07-21 09:20:28

adorable homunculus

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#11 2013-07-21 11:35:10

Sammy Ambrose

What a great thread. Only on FNB.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#12 2013-07-21 11:40:51

Sammy Ambrose

I have an older sister who still tell stories about when at the age of seven  her habit of taking the top off a fruit tart and inspecting the innards prior to biting in saved her from a mouthful of red ants that had it seems colonized a shop bought tart. Just think about that next time you go to the confectioners.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

Board footer