#1 2013-11-04 05:31:07

Topstitcher

"Dear Jimmy" -

Showbiz

Christian M. Chensvold via eigbox.net 

Oct 28 (7 days ago)

to me

Dear Jimmy:

I saw your recent post on TI and have noticed you've been more active on the Wardrobe lately. Given your recent insight on dandyism (your suggestion that Brummell's innovations were driven by poverty was brilliant, and I'm planning an essay exploiting this very angle), and lack of things to say on Ivy, instead deferring to the perspicacious Steve Hunter, I'm wondering if you too sense that the zeitgeist is headed towards Dandyland, and if you'd like to join me performing a similiar function over there.

As you're well aware, you're the penultimate person of importance when it comes to Ivy on the 'Net (after me), and I'd be very interested in seeing how you think discourse on dandyism could be improved. I've always felt if we can just get people talking we can then weed out the gems from the garbage.

I know this is probably a sore subject, given what I morally owe you for all the traffic you've sent to Ivy Style via the illusion of a web war, but at the same time, well…. we know how you are and the gratification that only the Internet can provide. I know you can't be logging off entirely.

Hearts and minds, etc.,

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... And a jolly good kick up the harris.

#2 2013-11-04 05:34:00

Topstitcher

Re: "Dear Jimmy" -

FrostMellor <frostmellor@gmail.com> 

Oct 29 (6 days ago)

to Christian

I'd love to.

Rules for this time around:

Don't trust me.

Give me no responsibility.

Let me just riff and get Chris Sharp to weed out anything of merit from what I might say.

I think 'Ivy' is dead now for this cycle. There's a bigger discussion to be had which has a certain conception of Dandyism at its heart.

Whatever your conception for what you now have in mind, place me two or three people below you so I don't bother you. Have me report to somebody that will filter my garbage before it gets to you.

Brief them that I'm unreliable and untrustworthy and will drive them to drink but I will provide a volume of text which they must use all their editorial skills to find anything of merit in and discard all the rest.

I'm deep into morphine now and have really interesting synesthetic episodes that I'm trying to cash in on... Maybe there's something usable there. Not sure.

http://www.garmsville.com/post/52551927937/lifes-a-beach-by-jimmy-frost-mellor

I've a novel called 'The Comfort of Strangeness' and a collection of ten vignettes about my time in London based on the structure of Hemmingway's 'A Moveable Feast' called 'In Pieces' which are both currently doing the rounds in London. Primarily I tease publishers with the books, extract money, become impossible to deal with, get written off and then move on to the next publisher. I'm about to be sacked from Hamish Hamilton after being sacked from Faber and am moving on to Bloomsbury next.

All of this you can check. My name is mud, but my incremental notoriety is what I'm aiming to exploit. So far it works as a business plan.

Any use to you ?

x

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... And a jolly good kick up the harris.

#3 2013-11-04 05:35:07

Topstitcher

Oct 29 (6 days ago)

to me

All this is very intriguing, though alas 'tis I who will determine the rules.

#4 2013-11-04 05:38:27

Topstitcher

Oct 29 (6 days ago)

to Christian

Yes, you must.

I suppose what I was offering was input as a contributor to your work. I haven't the time or energy for anything more now and the less you expect from me then the less I'll let you down.

I was just chatting to our mutual contact Stanshall... Maybe he should reconsider your repeated requests that he should consider writing for you. Also I think if you had a pet English 'Ivyist' who isn't a ridiculous 'Mod' writing for you it might be an interesting aspect too. I talk to everybody under endless phony names...

The bigger picture interests me more now than the narrow world of Ivy from a promotional point of view, although I'll never change my style of dress. Ivy has been promoted, time to promote the spirit of style in a greater sense beyond just offering people a shopping list.

Anyway, nice to be in touch as ever. I'll copy you in on an email that will let you know where I'm up to next. It's just context to make sense of my lack of activity these days.

Best -

Jim.

#5 2013-11-04 05:41:05

Topstitcher

#6 2013-11-04 05:42:16

Topstitcher

Oct 29 (6 days ago)

to me

Who'd believe any of that?

#7 2013-11-04 05:44:20

Topstitcher

Oct 30 (5 days ago)

to Christian

Random thought: I know you are a 'Professional Blogger' - Any plans to do something greater ?

You have an established name and reputation now. You are marketable...

Do you really want to stay and sit in a puddle of your own piss until kingdom come ?

Best -

#8 2013-11-04 05:45:43

Topstitcher

... And answer came there none.

... ... ... ... ... ...

wink

#9 2013-11-04 13:25:38

Topstitcher

Dear me, what a lot of hits.

#10 2013-11-04 13:43:52

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

You are always of interest Jim even though you are a crazy mutha.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#11 2013-11-04 15:19:51

formby

Jimmy's starring in his own version of Fight Club.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#12 2013-11-04 17:33:44

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#13 2013-11-04 22:21:21

GIZhou007
Ivy Original.

#14 2013-11-05 00:30:41

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlNrtcPCLw

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#15 2013-11-05 01:16:17

Topstitcher

There was a lovely sea change in the correspondence above...

He wants my input, I agree (as a potentially great stunt) but explain why I won't be offering much, he tries to strike a Lordly pose, I extrapolate further about what I'm up to, he's very keen to dismiss it all (for what could be greater than blogging?), I ask if he's ever going to do anything more than just blog, he goes all quiet.

- But he is a 'Professional Blogger' - Nobody can ever take that away from him.

... I wonder if I could become a 'Professional Alcoholic' ?   There must be many new 'Professions' out there in our brave new world...

#16 2013-11-05 13:20:16

TheExpandingMan

I think Hunter S. Thompson once referred to himself as a 'professional alcoholic', so there is a precedent for that as a career.

#17 2013-11-05 13:24:27

Bop

Judges... GPs.... airline pilots, it's nothing new.

#18 2013-11-05 23:53:43

Topstitcher

I think I'll settle on Professional English Opium Eater then. The fact that I drink a version of the stuff and don't actually chew it is something I'll have to explain away somehow...

Still funny that Chens wants me on board and then got humpty because I seem not to view blogging as the pinnacle of human achievement. Me becoming a Grandfather interests me much more, and fooling around with books. And then there's fanny, smokes and booze...  A busy life...

wink

#19 2013-11-05 23:54:49

Topstitcher

"I blog therefore I spam"

/\   I've just thought of that.   Is it original ?

Board footer