• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

#1201 2013-12-01 10:31:07

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

The_Shooman wrote:

l wonder if FNB has seen these pictures.

No! And don't ever show him!

Style's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving.
My talented White Rabbit resides at www.mogucosplay.com https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mogu-Cosplay/62494764398
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB

#1202 2013-12-01 10:37:46

Roberto Madison

Competitor and childbearing hips as well.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/7698_pigeon_toes.jpg

#1203 2013-12-01 13:32:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

4F Hepcat wrote:

Popeye Doyle wrote:

Goodyear Welt's brave excursion into the world of neo-Mods is one of the best things ever to appear here and he deserves a fucking Pulitzer.

And brave is the right word to describe his foray as point man into this strange and bewildering sub-culture on our behalf, where having biker tattoos and being able to sup twelve pints a night is the ultimate expression of clean living under difficult circumstances.

With the greatest respect to the real culture who's name is so abused.... It's just another (wait for it!) Marketing scam now for most, isn't it ?

#1204 2013-12-01 13:34:25

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Now that has pushed it way over the edge. Geez, these guys just keep coming and coming. l'd just love to know where all these guys come from....i've never seen people like that in my entire life. l am stunned these people actually exist.  yikes

Roberto Madison wrote:

Competitor and childbearing hips as well.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … n_toes.jpg

A very feminine pose. A girly man for sure!

Last edited by The_Shooman (2013-12-01 13:34:45)

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

Cooked food should be made illegal - Dr Jubb (Jubsy)

#1205 2013-12-01 14:37:12

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Taylor McIntyre wrote:

4F Hepcat wrote:

Popeye Doyle wrote:

Goodyear Welt's brave excursion into the world of neo-Mods is one of the best things ever to appear here and he deserves a fucking Pulitzer.

And brave is the right word to describe his foray as point man into this strange and bewildering sub-culture on our behalf, where having biker tattoos and being able to sup twelve pints a night is the ultimate expression of clean living under difficult circumstances.

With the greatest respect to the real culture who's name is so abused.... It's just another (wait for it!) Marketing scam now for most, isn't it ?

Its a strange one, when I was a kid you wore Merc stuff. At the time it was a look you wanted, mod and smart. Of course we were kids and didn't know anything. You kinda start at the bottom and work your way up. Isn't that true of anyone with an interest in clothes? I think you can be mod and smart at any age without looking stupid. You can't wear the same stuff you did at 14, mod or otherwise. I've said it before but, you need to blank anything with the word mod in the company/site name. What I don't get is these guys can't see how bad they look. Its a marketing term but only for idiots, pretty much how it was in the 60s after what? 63/64?

For most? Yeah, for sure. Scooter rallies, "Mod" band gigs, weekenders, deffo. The R&B and soul clubs seem to not have comic mods in them to such a large extent. Mods like myself tend not to worry about what others dress like in clubs. Comic mods like to have dress codes on doors, which in itself is quite a joke. At the end of the day its a mix of not understanding clothing and trying to gain a look from clothes in a uniformed code. It just ends up a car crash. You see it on TI as well, with others heaping praise on the clueless and mundane as well.  Fuck me, I still have nightmares about Noble Surfer's shirt that must have been 4 sizes to big, and that daft Mighty Max who wouldn't have it that trousers, shirts and jumpers look better ironed. Though I see of late he has started ironing his clothes.

Anyway, enough talk of ironing....

On with the show...

http://api.ning.com/files/X378Xfy1meswXZcNhzvJWzCY5mLkErDJ6rl9sa1meld*jrZuviD7PiWQg-WhEfAIsVhhIMY8GYL0vjHkjujzGCS17xnL*22s/Picture3697.jpg

Yep, its Red Steve.

http://api.ning.com/files/X378Xfy1mesDY7CZx2VfV2jUehdFoOYQb-y1xTFtD8VJ8Ekg0h81fhUb282Ll7XO7lALqkILQj5QqkEzjCBKrDb99ihivIpa/Picture3696.jpg

Steve says "Got a couple of positive comments from the lads and lasses who were in the cafe watching the Tour too. The shirt especially, as one fella reckoned it was like the King of the Mountains jersey only in the wrong colour :-)

The Harrington doesn't have the tartan lining, which I know is traditional but can sometimes clash with the shirt. The plain lining on this one is easier to work with".

Top man.

Walter, the cat with a cat.

http://api.ning.com/files/lyq3EvSDnd0RCj1ecQtX9YOKHEzbdWOU10gHGHEsJLxesJUHoPQMc9Nv5pUU1SoX-CLJqHjlKZuIzvc0NGV2ZA7wbIEeELbT/RayBansAndBlackCats.jpg

Sadly there is some sad news from the Mod world, Rent boy Kevin has been committed.
http://api.ning.com/files/mx*zwIsB58leyEbzcF6VJA7E9KyFekIJvLNWEMNdZKSmEM1mhKu9E*WbMzp42CQjuXATrMDvmXET9KO9YTm5LlJlfqz9WpRz/20130608_123338.jpg

#1206 2013-12-01 14:49:45

chatsworth osborne jr.

Someone needs to get word out that they need to cram their heels back up against the shoe for the 'fit pic' in the same way that they bend their arms to hide the extra length of their sleeves.
You might as well be wearing flip-flops if you have a loafer not making contact with your heel.

#1207 2013-12-01 16:29:56

prince nez

Must be a school teacher.

#1208 2013-12-01 17:52:55

redsoxx

In the battle of the forums Fedora Lounge has won with a quiet but determined manner. FL is now bleeding into all forums and will soon be the dominant "look".

Canadian sophisticate (and possible MOD??) gives our diminutive fedora and top hat wearing usa iitalian law enforcement mascot and all round tough guy, Tibor (Tokyo Interbank Offered Rate), a run for his money. Hats. When all else fails. Wear a hat.

Yesterday's fit; went out to the Vancouver Christmas Markt with the wife.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/7618_500x1000px-ll-c31c69a2_christmasmarkt.jpeg

#1209 2013-12-02 09:03:00

Oldfruit1

I didn't think they could take colour photographs in the 1930s?

fruity

#1210 2013-12-02 10:19:04

Yuca

I think he looks so so rather than terrible. He's certainly not in the league of Alan S and chums (and I've seen worse on FL).

'some sort of banal legitimacy'

'vintage advertisement, film, or album cover'

#1211 2013-12-02 11:14:47

Yuca

Here's one from FL that I'm less impressed with:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1385868_10151940230014330_12482155_n.jpg

The poster is 2nd right.

(I believe he works in a gun shop, so I hope I'm not putting my life at risk.)

Last edited by Yuca (2013-12-02 11:16:34)

'some sort of banal legitimacy'

'vintage advertisement, film, or album cover'

#1212 2013-12-02 11:16:44

doghouse

Because everyone hunts with an AK-47.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#1213 2013-12-02 12:30:37

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Heres Al!

http://api.ning.com/files/pQ8PE*Dabuluf2TYQApcFd47VNnB*43CwmNEPE2nVPinyH2LjRJdWlK038WAlO4O1wl-YPtICTUOZrQ5CP6IuduFPJNZoJqo/Bargains010.jpg
He wore this rig to Newcastle for a day out. I know, in daylight as well.

This prompted Top face, Kai to say..."Relco shirt, is it Alan? Seems a lot of people put them down as a rip off, but I just love their fit and the feel of their fabric (and the price, obviously...) Better than Ben Sherman, in fact".

Big Al replied..."No, it`s a Ben Sherman Kai, bought it in Chester 5 years ago, washes and irons great, still looks as good as the day I bought it".

I can only think the word good was a typo error.

You remember Kai, don't you?

http://api.ning.com/files/-aLFnBFMgsZ1CXUFU2*iVGVTp6N*79eh111LW3rAllUzNiHTlN9U9c918irxdgv6f1JfTsN76Pxfr*cCNAiPJFbKbF36RBEf/P1020593.JPG

Heres a guy I know your gonna love, Chicago's top mod  Lexington Green. The Lex talks the talk..."Chicago Loop, beautiful night, 70F, nice 1.5 mile stroll to my office to get my briefcase and then go home.  The jacket has wider lapels than I'd prefer, but it is a checked 3-button in new condition that I got at a thrift store for $6!!! So, good enough then.  The tie is a little louder than business, but OK at the office, and the jacket is a little more formal than the crowd at the restaurant, so I threaded the needle -- casualize the formal, formalize the casual, that is Ivy and I deem it to be Mod, too!  Blue button down all cotton shirt, not a name brand, but good enough.  Charcoal grey trousers, brown wingtips, complete the ensemble".

Sounds good doesn't it?

http://api.ning.com/files/-aLFnBFMgsa962tcAzSWWmrXtfw7yT2rqkWvMdTe6qjTvdI9tQOir2hBtFVDhYEgUCXv69LBy3go4sQLlwPDQIiDoi8XYGJy/jacket.jpg

He than waffles on about the drinks he'll be having and where, which is so inane I can't even bring myself to copy and paste it. He then talks about his favorite band and posts a Youtube link..."The music on my phone and in my head, the might GREEN, from Chicago, not exactly mod, but they would have fit right in in Swinging London, they are so good they are almost the American Kinks!  Yes, really!  I first saw them in the mid-80s, and they have never ever quite gone away.  God bless them!"

Here is Green, last Saturday at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn, Illinois: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUoB-ej … e=youtu.be

The Kinks????

And all this in a country where he is allowed to carry a gun in his car.

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2013-12-02 12:31:43)

#1214 2013-12-02 13:10:01

Chet

Goodyear welt wrote:

Heres Al!

http://api.ning.com/files/pQ8PE*Dabuluf … ins010.jpg
He wore this rig to Newcastle for a day out. I know, in daylight as well.

This prompted Top face, Kai to say..."Relco shirt, is it Alan? Seems a lot of people put them down as a rip off, but I just love their fit and the feel of their fabric (and the price, obviously...) Better than Ben Sherman, in fact".

Big Al replied..."No, it`s a Ben Sherman Kai, bought it in Chester 5 years ago, washes and irons great, still looks as good as the day I bought it".

I can only think the word good was a typo error.

You remember Kai, don't you?

http://api.ning.com/files/-aLFnBFMgsZ1C … 020593.JPG

Heres a guy I know your gonna love, Chicago's top mod  Lexington Green. The Lex talks the talk..."Chicago Loop, beautiful night, 70F, nice 1.5 mile stroll to my office to get my briefcase and then go home.  The jacket has wider lapels than I'd prefer, but it is a checked 3-button in new condition that I got at a thrift store for $6!!! So, good enough then.  The tie is a little louder than business, but OK at the office, and the jacket is a little more formal than the crowd at the restaurant, so I threaded the needle -- casualize the formal, formalize the casual, that is Ivy and I deem it to be Mod, too!  Blue button down all cotton shirt, not a name brand, but good enough.  Charcoal grey trousers, brown wingtips, complete the ensemble".

Sounds good doesn't it?

http://api.ning.com/files/-aLFnBFMgsa96 … jacket.jpg

He than waffles on about the drinks he'll be having and where, which is so inane I can't even bring myself to copy and paste it. He then talks about his favorite band and posts a Youtube link..."The music on my phone and in my head, the might GREEN, from Chicago, not exactly mod, but they would have fit right in in Swinging London, they are so good they are almost the American Kinks!  Yes, really!  I first saw them in the mid-80s, and they have never ever quite gone away.  God bless them!"

Here is Green, last Saturday at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn, Illinois: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUoB-ej … e=youtu.be

The Kinks????

Top drawer!  I was laughing so much my missus came to see what all the fuss was and ended up in hysterics herself.  "Almost the American Kinks" - the mind truly boggles!

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#1215 2013-12-02 14:05:37

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Yuca wrote:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph … 2155_n.jpg

The poster is 2nd right.

Ahhh, the good ole boys. Thanks for posting, needed to see that to put me in the mood for the day.

Actually, that jacket is a good fit on Kai, it is by far his best effort so far. He has potential if he has a few more lifetimes to practise.

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

#1216 2013-12-02 14:09:05

The_Shooman
A pretty face

l actually don't mind his haircut, it's like Woodsy's (Ronny Woods).

If she dressed abit better and avoided the labcoat and wore a better skirt she would look decent. She has the look and legs for an middle aged bird. Not that l am in love with her or anything, but she has the look to be able to look great if she dressed alittle better.

#1217 2013-12-02 15:13:35

Senorservo2.0

Simon - I've been looking at those forums for ages. I agree with Stan: it's sad to laugh or make fun of these guys. It's just so terrible that so much effort goes into truly bad results such as these.
The old modculture forums had some real faces showing how to do it right. But all the old faces have moved on and there's no one to set a standard or comment with authority.

Last edited by Senorservo2.0 (2013-12-02 15:15:00)

#1218 2013-12-02 15:50:05

prince nez

The_Shooman wrote:

Yuca wrote:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph … 2155_n.jpg

The poster is 2nd right.

Ahhh, the good ole boys. Thanks for posting, needed to see that to put me in the mood for the day.

Actually, that jacket is a good fit on Kai, it is by far his best effort so far. He has potential if he has a few more lifetimes to practise.

The jacket is probably the least worst thing about his outfit, though the pockets disturb me. Patch pockets with a flap.. might look ok on a tweed hunting jacket but not that Peter Sellars costume coat.

Everything from the waist down and the neck up is a PTSD-inducing blur to me.

EDIT: Shooey you need to take him under your guidance so he can achieve those extra 20 or 30 lifetimes to get it right ;-)

Last edited by prince nez (2013-12-02 15:50:59)

#1219 2013-12-02 19:47:19

Patrick

Goodyear welt wrote:

Very unlikely if he's in Chicago.

#1220 2013-12-02 20:12:00

Gunter Walzit

Senorservo2.0 wrote:

Simon - I've been looking at those forums for ages. I agree with Stan: it's sad to laugh or make fun of these guys. It's just so terrible that so much effort goes into truly bad results such as these.
The old modculture forums had some real faces showing how to do it right. But all the old faces have moved on and there's no one to set a standard or comment with authority.

I think this post is good. In life we all have journeys. We all have own idea. Why laugh at others? Maybe they laugh at you too or other laugh at you?

#1221 2013-12-02 21:54:15

Senorservo2.0

While I don't want to laugh at these guys. Simon does have a good point in that they are fooling themselves and their forum "group think" is not conducive to make them improve their style. When the faces posted on the old forum they didn't hold anything back and a lot of folks improved their dress from the criticism.

I agree that we all have different journeys. However, is not polite or good manners to ignore a train crash and telling these guys that they look good is a lot more cruel than pointing out the mistakes in fit, quality and general principles of dress.

It's what we call in America a 'circle jerk' - a mutual admiration society with a huge blind spot.

In the end Simon is doing these folks a good service. If they want to continue to dress and post pictures of themselves on the internet, and dress the way they do now, that's fine. It's their lives and as you say their journey but we can't all be expected to sit back and say those are good efforts.

That would actually be cruel.

Last edited by Senorservo2.0 (2013-12-02 22:04:09)

#1222 2013-12-02 21:58:58

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Well, if they ain't laughing at each other...

I agree with you about the old MC forum, Jose...some dressers on there back in the day. We'll have to agree to disagree about taking the mick outta these cats though. Its pure gold.

#1223 2013-12-02 22:20:15

Senorservo2.0

^^
Like I said in my second response, Simon you are doing them a favor.

If I was looking bad, I much rather have someone tell me about it than be 'polite' and not tell me that my fly is open. It may be harsh to hear the truth but it can also set you free. Or they can carry on, it's their lives. But at least they've been told...

What I hate about the new mod forums is how the Comedy Mods have completly taken over. Some of the best dressed men I have ever known started out as mods and developed really cool modernist styles of dress.

The comedy mods give modernist a bad name. I'm not a mod, by default I've always been inspired by preepy, Ivy Classic American dress or whatever you wanna call it. It's the style in the USA and what's always been available to me from my father, friends, school and shops.

But  I do have a huge appreciation for Mod done right. It's a very British style that takes elements from America and Europe to do something smart, original and sharp. Very hard to get it right but I really dig when I see someone pull of the 'Look'.

Last edited by Senorservo2.0 (2013-12-02 22:52:49)

#1224 2013-12-03 01:21:24

Gunter Walzit

Senorservo2.0 wrote:

While I don't want to laugh at these guys. Simon does have a good point in that they are fooling themselves and their forum "group think" is not conducive to make them improve their style. When the faces posted on the old forum they didn't hold anything back and a lot of folks improved their dress from the criticism.

I agree that we all have different journeys. However, is not polite or good manners to ignore a train crash and telling these guys that they look good is a lot more cruel than pointing out the mistakes in fit, quality and general principles of dress.

It's what we call in America a 'circle jerk' - a mutual admiration society with a huge blind spot.

In the end Simon is doing these folks a good service. If they want to continue to dress and post pictures of themselves on the internet, and dress the way they do now, that's fine. It's their lives and as you say their journey but we can't all be expected to sit back and say those are good efforts.

That would actually be cruel.

Getting your point, but also you have 'mutual admiration society with a huge blind spot' on here no? Talking here about the Talk Ivy sector. Not much criticism there. Instead there's lot of 'digging it man' praise. Sheesh man though! It's only clothing!

#1225 2013-12-03 01:33:11

Bop

I think what you might be missing is the spectrum that you get on Ivy Style say Patrick and Ox one end and Black Cat Bones or someone like that on the other. People might have huge hangs ups about other peoples take on the style but at the end of the day we get on with accepting most differences

"One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak."

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

Board footer