You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » A short film about Brown University Engineering Students, Early ’60s

#1 2014-04-24 14:08:57

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

A short film about Brown University Engineering Students, Early ’60s

I have just watched this short film about Brown University Engineering Students from the early 60s.
Its been posted on Ivy style and is very much in the vein of the sterling work WM did on the
Ivy tech thread.white socks, high waters, and penny loafers in abundance.

(url=)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcIL_8cEYeM(url/)

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#2 2014-04-24 14:21:43

Worried Man

Re: A short film about Brown University Engineering Students, Early ’60s

Great eye candy there.  An esteemed friend of mine had the good fortune and brains to attend both Tech, for his engineering degree, and Brown, for his PhD.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#3 2014-04-24 18:41:17

captainpreppy

Watched about five minutes of the film. It was interesting that the clothing was really very similar to what we wore at UCLA during the same era, allowing for differences in climate. The professors and teaching assistants were all in coat and tie, if not suit and tie. Most male students wore sports shirts, very commonly plaids, and khakis. Rolled sleeves and visible T-shirt collars were also commonplace. It is also interesting what an absolutely totally male milieu the engineering school was 50-odd years ago. Different times!

#4 2014-04-24 20:01:36

stanshall

the narrator's voice is a flashback to the educational films we watched every Friday afternoon in the elementary school auditorium ....

good clothes throughout, definitely, you just can't beat a Shetland crewneck sweater over an ocbd and a pair of decent chinos and a pair of penny loafers ...

the style was good at Brown in '63

... nice printed shirts in action, some plaid shirts, vertical striped tweed sport coat, white ocbds with the sleeves rolled, some very skinny ties, lots of white socks including the striped tennis crews we like, Ivy haircuts and flattops, white canvas sneakers, short-sleeve button-down shirts, plaid and checked flannel shirts with plain collars, madras shorts, windbreakers, repp ties, co-eds in Fair Isle sweater and Shetland crewneck and pinafores  .....   

and the bonus is that the voices and accents of the engineering professors and student, as well as the narrator, are all really funny ....getting bits of Hanna-Barbera characters, Peabody, National Lampoon Radio Hour, some old Rick Moranis, bit of Harold Ramis, Dr. Strangelove at the end .... excellent!  and the old-school Bruno the Bear mascot with the oversized shades is cool.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#5 2014-04-25 02:27:11

Tomiskinky

Great stuff, lots of great gear on display but also loved the narrative and editing style.

#6 2014-04-25 03:48:00

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I think this is one of the educational films Stan mentioned, early sixties again and the clothes "crazy Man".

The School Dropout - 1960's

(url=)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nE9KMOGbmo(url/)

#7 2014-04-25 07:07:46

Worried Man

Another great find AC.  I could suffer through endless hours of horrible '50s - 60s movies and scare tactic PSAs just for the clothes, hair, cars, and sometimes the houses and furniture.  Like that segment on Dacron I posted that time.  Haha.

Last edited by Worried Man (2014-04-25 07:08:34)

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#8 2014-04-25 13:28:50

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

From the Princeton University Archives

The "Princeton Newsreel 1961" if you bare with it there is some gold.

(url=)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmfnJpd83U(url/)

#9 2014-04-25 13:59:38

Worried Man

^
About 4:23, a thing of beauty!  Too much to see as they come down the steps.  The stuff my ivy dreams are made of.

#10 2014-04-25 14:15:05

Worried Man

I love that kid's chunky mohair cardigan too.  Call me throwback or retro or whatever other disparaging words come to mind, but it just doesn't get any better than this for me... not before, not since.  Love it!  Thanks for posting AC.

#11 2014-04-25 14:56:48

Worried Man

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » A short film about Brown University Engineering Students, Early ’60s

Board footer