You are not logged in.

#26 2014-05-14 02:03:54

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: University is an Unwise Investment...

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#27 2014-05-16 08:26:06

Butters

This is a bit of a downer, but I thought of this thread when I read it:  http://www.bbc.com/news/education-25559089

#28 2014-05-16 08:52:23

Worried Man

^
And this feeling of hopelessness is to blame for a lot of the completely senseless crime being perpetrated by youth.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#29 2014-05-17 01:14:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I noticed The Telegraph ran a piece yesterday advising that 1 in 5 university students would become millionaires, but of course, what that means in London is an old Victorian terrace house that a docker would originally have lived in. And what about the financial viability of the other 4?

Certainly, there are other viable models, other than the university one. As an example, Roy Chadwick, chief designer at Avro of the Lancaster and other aeroplanes, studied at night school at Manchester College, whilst working as a draughstman. This model, albeit over the horizon of living memory now, was common in the first half of the 20th century. The mixture of earning a wage, gaining the necessary vocational and theoretical training and knowledge, appears to me a viable and more rewarding alternative than arriving at the age of 21 or 22 with very little transferable knowledge to the work place. Other than the very common quality and aptitude of "having demonstrated an ability to learn." Really, how rare!

#30 2014-05-17 06:46:03

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#31 2014-05-25 16:10:14

CaptainMaddox

#32 2014-05-25 16:11:41

CaptainMaddox

#33 2014-05-27 05:26:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#34 2014-05-27 06:46:10

CaptainMaddox

#35 2014-05-28 00:51:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#36 2014-05-29 16:04:23

stanshall

this recent article is on topic and concludes college is worth it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/upshot/is-college-worth-it-clearly-new-data-say.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#37 2014-05-29 17:20:59

Worried Man

One thing I always wonder about these statistics, is when they say "person with a 4-year college degree", are they also lumping in people that have Master's degrees and PhDs, or people that stopped their educations after getting only a bachelor's degree?

#38 2014-05-29 17:37:47

The_Shooman
A pretty face

University is for rabbits. I have taken around 20 years to recover from my dumbing down from such dreaded halls of satanic indocrination. Why satanic? ...because it puts one in the illusion of manmade systems and thinking.

If you want to become a donkey....go to university.
If you want to be smart....start thinking for yourself.

They have made it so it is hard to get a job without higher education, so now we have Master and Ph D's people everywhere. But where are these degrees getting people?...it gets most of them mediocre jobs. In my view, all this extra education is a distraction to get people studying for longer for no reason....they are learning lots if useless information. 

They dumb down the lawyers with rubbish, dumb down the medical profession with pheudoscience funded by chemical companies and big pharma, they dumb down the economists, the dumb down historians with `their' indocrinating views, and now l discover that the useful accounting degrees are now based on bull because of the taxation factor. Show me proof our tax dollars go into the country like claimed.

I would have a better conversation with a smart uneducated man than most educated men any day.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2014-05-29 17:48:49)

#39 2014-05-29 17:46:28

Worried Man

Yeah, but if you didn't go to university to learn to think, you wouldn't be able to think for yourself.  So in that regard, a formal education is necessary.*

*bad Worried Man joke.

#40 2014-05-29 17:58:00

The_Shooman
A pretty face

That's the thing, we don't think for ourselves in Bachelor degrees, we are told how to think by `them'. They reward mindless folks with high marks when they parrot learn `their' indocrination, but punish people with low marks who can actually think for themselves. Higher education is a money making scam for the most part.

Imagine if l wrote an essay about macro economics exposing all their theories with real world evidence and started calling the system they teach rubbish. I don't think they would like that.

Imagine if l studied law and exposed the Judges and Politicians as being imposters because they had no royal assent and authority to make any decisions in Oz. They would fail me quick. See...they want to push the illusion over us and dumb down the lawyers so they have power over us.

The system do not want average folks getting knowledgable and knowing what is going on because that is power. Keep the public in the dark and feed them bull through higher education.

#41 2014-05-29 18:05:46

Worried Man

So my exceedingly high marks (gloat) in college are indicative of me being a rabbit?  Damn Shooey.  You really know how to hurt a guy.

#42 2014-05-30 16:02:06

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#43 2014-05-30 23:46:00

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Or perhaps we should all go down the rabbit-hole and into an alternative reality?

Board footer