You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

#1 2014-08-12 09:41:40

Worried Man

Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

I love coffee and Mrs. WM sent me this link this morning.  A look at coffee bar culture in London in the late '50s. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nsRHHcq1P8

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#2 2014-08-12 09:43:28

CaptainMaddox

Re: Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

pearoast.

Last edited by CaptainMaddox (2014-08-12 09:43:43)

#3 2014-08-12 09:57:30

Worried Man

Is that a type of coffee?  Or are you saying this is a repost?

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2014-08-12 10:05:58

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#5 2014-08-12 10:16:41

Worried Man

Diners and coffee shops were popular gathering places for the US Beat culture too.  Sipping some coffee while listening to some Blue Note jazz, now that is my kind of way to spend some time.

#6 2014-08-12 10:31:45

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#7 2014-08-12 10:52:49

Worried Man

#8 2014-08-12 10:55:33

doghouse

I read a good (and depressing) article not too long ago about the disappearing American diner not too long ago, I'll have to look for it.

Huge cultural icon that will be lost.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#9 2014-08-12 11:01:00

Worried Man

#10 2014-08-12 11:10:41

oxford cloth button down

I am a fan of diners myself. In general, the food is cheap, the food is real, and the atmosphere is always homey. Even in the middle of America the diner is dying. There used to be 3-4 in my city. Now there is only 1. However, there are plenty near me in even smaller towns.

There is an Airstream type diner not too far. I will take pics the next time that I am out that way. The builing that is generally behind me in most of my  pics had a great diner up until a few years ago. I miss it the most.

That place looks great WM.

Last edited by oxford cloth button down (2014-08-12 11:13:13)

#11 2014-08-12 11:15:43

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Peter Cook

#12 2014-08-12 12:01:26

Worried Man

^
Well, this one is particularly Southern, and pastrami doesn't feature.  There are some good delis around that serve up the pastrami.  Here's a link to the Silver Skillet's full menu. 
http://www.thesilverskillet.com/menu.asp

#13 2014-08-12 12:12:18

Worried Man

#14 2014-08-12 12:15:32

stanshall

ILOG, pastrami is not a diner staple, never was ... however, corned beef hash used to be a feature of most diner menus ....

great shot of the Silver Skillet menu WM ...  that's the lunch section of the menu .... it all looks pretty spectacular ... I'm into the country ham and the biscuits for breakfast, and the pork chops, yam souffle, collard greens, rice & gravy, and mac & cheese for lunch .......

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#15 2014-08-12 12:21:08

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#16 2014-08-12 12:23:20

doghouse

http://www.citylab.com/design/2013/05/quest-save-new-york-citys-old-school-diners/5622/

http://coatesvilletimes.com/?p=1495

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#17 2014-08-12 12:31:01

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Peter Cook

#18 2014-08-12 13:00:49

Oliver

American diners were typically pre-war pre-fab buildings made by specific Dining Car Companies like Worcester, Kullman, Sterling (streamliners), etc; hence the designation. They were mainly scattered around the Northeast and Midwest and I don't think any remaining diners exist outside of these regions. That Guy Fieri idiot has his diners and drive-ins show but I don't think he's ever visited a single diner or drive-in on an episode. Lots of people misuse the term and call any hashouse that slings burgers over formica countertops and terrazzo floors a diner, but there are sadly very few real diners left in America.

#19 2014-08-12 13:07:47

Worried Man

^
That guy bugs the heck outta me.  The so-called "diners" he visits are exactly the kind I'm talking about.  An $18 hamburger marinated in bourbon and smothered in some kind of caramelized onions served with a side of fancy tortilla chips isn't going to be anywhere on the menu in a real greasy spoon.

#20 2014-08-12 13:10:09

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

An interesting page about them -

http://dahoglund.hubpages.com/hub/Diner-An-American-Iconic-Restaurant

Peter Cook

#21 2014-08-12 13:12:06

Worried Man

The long-forgotten lunch counter could also be lumped into this topic.  They were pretty much a diner counter stuffed inside a department store like Woolworths, or better yet, the local pharmacy.  They usually served typical diner fare, but maybe a little heavier on the sandwich selection.  These have also gone the way of the diner, but can still sometimes be found in small American towns.

#22 2014-08-12 13:16:56

doghouse

My Grandma use to be a waitress at a counter here.

#23 2014-08-12 13:26:12

Oliver

#24 2014-08-12 13:28:13

Worried Man

#25 2014-08-12 13:29:21

Worried Man

I'm sure most Southern diner owners would scoff at the thought of offering pastrami on the menu.  Sort of like asking a Northern deli owner why grits aren't on the menu.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

Board footer