#1 2014-11-12 02:22:47

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Telemarketers - tactics

#2 2014-11-12 10:27:34

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Telemarketers - tactics

I have said 'okay can you hold the line a minute?' Then just put the phone down and leave them waiting until they realise you aren't coming back and just hang up.

Then I got to thinking thats a pretty mean trick as they are just trying to make a living like everyone else, in fact I feel sorry for anyone who has to resort to that for a job. So now I just interupt and say 'I'm sorry I don't take unsolicited calls' and hang up straight away. They are a bloody nuisance though.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2014-11-12 10:47:22

Dudley Clarke

I don't have an earthling landline - just stick to the intergalactic communications system is my advice Shooey but then you won't be able to laugh your tits (or anything else) off!

I came up to see her sometimes.

#4 2014-11-12 11:55:20

Bop

I just take them up on all their offers.

#5 2014-11-12 12:09:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It's a dirty job and sadly, someone is doing it, so I pity them and so long as it is not the hard sell and they seem quite affable, I politely turn them away. Of course, the exception are the call centers somewhere in the far east inviting me for "investment opportunities for select persons". The other are those slimy Brits who telephone me to transfer Brit pensions overseas or into offshore investment funds were if I die, my wife and kids will get sweet F.A. They use a certain routine: posh voice and if that fails, the trusty Northerner who likes fitball.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#6 2014-11-12 15:48:21

fxh
Big Down Under.

I don't get many now - but I always ask "What are you selling?" if they say "Nothing" I say "If you are honest with me I'll listen to your spiel, but if you say you aren't selling but then are I'll hang up" - if they persist in saying they have a  offer for me but aren't selling then I get the radio on a documentary or talk program and put the phone down near it. Often they are still there 10 minutes alter confused by the talk.

#7 2014-11-12 16:18:54

doghouse

No landline here.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#8 2014-11-12 16:34:57

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#9 2014-11-12 17:10:24

fxh
Big Down Under.

#10 2014-11-12 17:11:27

DAO

Have fun with this!

http://egbg.home.xs4all.nl/counterscript.html

Or;

"I really appreciate your effort and the good work you are doing, so I don't want to waste any more of your time because I am not intersted."

Last edited by DAO (2014-11-12 17:13:03)

#11 2014-11-12 17:12:15

formby

No landline, just ignore any numbers I don't recognise on my mobile phone. If its important they'll leave a message.

Simples...

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#12 2014-11-12 17:29:20

The_Shooman
A pretty face

There are more telemarketing calls than ever now, mainly from o/s.  I think it is getting so bad that it is going to end up killing off the business of telemarketing because people are becoming increasingly fed up with it. I could handle the odd call, but not 2 or 3 per night.

The door knocking has now stopped. Nothing was worse than people knocking on your door wanting to sell you a power or phone plan. No-one likes that, and now the companies have gotten the message, BUT most of the work has gone o/s so there are no local door knockers they can pay slave labour rates to. All these companies doing unsoliticed calls etc are representing scumbag companies that will screw the public if they can.

I remember changing my car insurance because it is getting to expensive after many years with them. I told them to give me a better deal, but they refused. For a few years later they would ring me asking how they could get me back as a customer. I gave them full opportunity at the time to keep me, but they never gived a stuff and weren't prepared to bargain. These companies are just b*llsh*t.

#13 2014-11-22 04:21:47

chuck power

The problem is definitely getting worse - being a shift worker, I'm generally around in the day time and get around 4/5 calls most days. Ninety percent of the time, they hang up or don't bother responding when I pick the phone up. On the few occassions when I do get a response, they ask for my other half (the landline is in her name) - I'm tempted to say 'Speaking !' - if they say, 'but you sound like a man?'- I shall reply 'you cheeky ba****d !!!'.

Ever since, I changed my mobile to Orange - have been beseiged by ambulance chasing wankers offering to sort out compo for my 'recent accident' - which they strangely enough have absolutely no details of. The last few weeks however, its been companies wishing to pursue a hearing loss claim as I used to work in 'industry' ..... my details having been sold on by my 'friends' - when I tell them I'm not interested, they ask if I've got any friends whose details I'd like to sell - I explain that if I did, I would'nt be much of a friend either. Depressing sad

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

Board footer