You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-30 00:24:52

Bop

Spread betting or CFD trading?

I'm looking to entertain some dressed up betting on the stock market.

I've a modest investment but I'm unsure of the disadvantages of a CFD over a spread bet. From what I've read the CFD looks like a better option.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

#2 2014-11-30 00:48:18

Bop

Re: Spread betting or CFD trading?

#3 2014-11-30 04:57:49

formby

I have a lot of experience of Computational Fluid Dynamics but can't immediately see how this is connected to investing. smile

If you are thinking about financial CFD's then you are engaging in speculating, which is always risky. And that's the crux here. It depends on your approach to risk.

A wide investment portfolio minimises risk by spreading it out. This would be my preferred strategy for long term saving like pension provision for example.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#4 2014-11-30 06:12:41

doghouse

As formby says risk management comes from diversification. I could give some vague tips, but I would honestly recommend talking with a professional when it comes to risking real money.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#5 2014-11-30 09:48:16

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Although you're asking question about CFDs v Spread Betting bop it looks as if you already know more about it than anyone so far!

I see adverts for spread betting all over the place, I've read a couple of articles to try and find out more but have to confess that I wasn't a great deal wiser, what was obvious was that you have to know quite a bit about the market. You will be betting on the movement of shares and can lose more than your original stake.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#6 2014-11-30 10:00:31

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Pensions outside of those lucky enough to have a final pension scheme are pretty much dead.

You only need to read The Telegraph's regular column where they wheel out celebrities, actors and faded rock stars to know that, at least in the UK, any investment outside of bricks and mortar is a disaster. Everyone complains about losing money, bad advice with the exception every time is the property they purchased, invariably in London.

The only advice I know on this subject: if you can't afford to lose it, don't invest it in the stock market.

My grandfather lost everything at the time of oil crisis back in 1973, on the advice of his Barclay's bank manager he invested his lump-sum and lost everything in about 3 months, except for his monthly pension and he did live until 88, so it was really much of a loss. Well, kind of.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer