You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-19 18:27:35

TheExpandingMan

World War II

#2 2015-02-19 19:32:38

Jeff Reed

Re: World War II

I have the huge John Costello book, The Pacific War: 1941-1945. It's not very portable, so might not be what you are looking for, but it has to be as comprehensive as a single volume, general overview of this vast war that is available.

I'm not much of a twentieth century reader, so that's all I got.

#3 2015-02-19 19:46:09

TheExpandingMan

I'll check it out, Jeff.  Thanks.

Should have know our resident Marine would have something.

#4 2015-02-19 20:01:21

Jeff Reed

I do remember a class on amphibious warfare I attended. We discussed Tarawa at length and the difficulties one might encounter in a landing...difficulties like losing 80% of your first wave. The only question I could think to ask of the instructor when the time came was, "how do I ensure that I end up in wave 10 or later?"

I guess there was also Ronald Spector's book Eagle Against the Sun, which was very popular in its day. Also a hefty book, but looks like it is available on kindle. I did not end up getting that one because the title made me think it did not cover, or covered very lightly, the conflicts in China, Burma, and so on where Americans were not doing the bulk of the fighting and I wanted the entire war. Maybe that book does cover these areas in more detail than I think. I've never read it, but I think it is held in high regard.

Last edited by Jeff Reed (2015-02-19 20:04:10)

#5 2015-02-19 20:34:32

TheExpandingMan

I saw that one on the Amazon website.  The description says it's only sixteen pages?  That must be a mistake.

My grandfather was drafted into the Seabees.  He went through basic training and his class graduated about three days before the US dropped the atomic bomb on Japan.  He mustered out a couple weeks after that without ever seeing any action at all.  He was relieved, not only that he didn't have to try to run a Cat D7 with someone shooting at him, but that the war was finally over. I understand Seabees had a pretty short life expectancy over there.  He was lucky.  He told me he headed for the bus station with his two duffel bags full of the stuff Uncle Sam had issued him.  He was lugging those bags down the sidewalk and he saw people getting onto the bus.  He was afraid he was going to miss the bus so he dropped both bags right there on the sidewalk and hauled ass so he could get a seat.  They folded the flag and fired a salute at his funeral, but I think he would have chuckled a little at that. He confided in me that he was scared as Hell at the thought of going over there, and he wasn't a guy that scared easily.

The little I know about what went on in the Pacific in WWII makes it sound like Hell on earth.  When losing eighty percent of your first wave is considered to be par for the course, you know things aren't looking good at all.

#6 2015-02-19 21:55:44

Jeff Reed

Definitely a mistake. It's a big book. I remember it always being on the shelves at the big bookstores back in the 80s and 90s.

My grandfathers both ended up in Europe. But all of my great uncles were in the Pacific. One was an army medic. No thanks.

My paternal granfather, Mr. Reed came back with what we would call PTSD today. Great guy, but totally shattered by the war. His unit came to the continent in mid-December 1944 and were placed in Patton's army. Totally new to combat, they were thrown in to stop the German attack in the Ardennes, and by all accounts they got messed up pretty bad. They subsequently moved near to Buchenwald shortly after its liberation.

I have a German pistol he brought back, his helmet, and more mundane, his issued sewing kit. Also have a Japanese sword and scabbard with characters engraved on it that one of my great uncles took.

#7 2015-02-19 22:09:27

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

You want this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195067142/militarycom/

#8 2015-02-19 23:37:14

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#9 2015-02-20 08:11:48

Worried Man

19,999 reviews?!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_2_4?k=unbroken+laura+hillenbrand&sprefix=unbr

Not read it, but it's come highly recommended by two good friends.   I hear the movie is bad though.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#10 2015-02-20 16:26:04

TheExpandingMan

#11 2015-02-20 17:06:12

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#12 2015-02-20 17:24:14

TheExpandingMan

Eagle Against the Sun is the front runner for now.  Looks good, comes highly recommended (by you guys and others) and seems like a good primer on the subject.

#13 2015-02-20 18:12:51

doghouse

Not actually about WWII or the Pacific, Margaret McMillan s book on the 1919 Paris peace conference might be my favorite history book ever.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

Board footer