You are not logged in.

#51 2015-09-11 09:26:01

McGeorge Bundyburger

Re: 'Weird Sounds From The Way Out' Thread

Ad Hom - That Tristan Perich piece is fantastic

ZJ - Love that Liaisons track and the Add N to Z one too, wasn't familiar with it at all (I'm still getting over the video for Metal Fingers in Body)

Acton - regarding the BiS Kaidan - you're clearly a very sick man.

This thread grows more awesome by the minute...

#52 2015-09-11 09:27:07

McGeorge Bundyburger

#53 2015-09-11 09:29:02

McGeorge Bundyburger

#54 2015-09-11 09:31:22

adorable homunculus

This has been a very enjoyable thread - well-deserved thanks to Acton for opening it and to all you gentleman with such excellent taste who have contributed.

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#55 2015-09-11 09:39:18

adorable homunculus

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#56 2015-09-11 09:58:00

Acton_Baby

^ hahaha

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#57 2015-09-11 10:07:20

Acton_Baby

It's Friday, so let's get this thread dancing....

The Aloof - On A Mission
https://youtu.be/DVfY1dS_i3s

The Residents - Kaw-Liga (Prairie Mix)
https://youtu.be/2_PXOAco-x4

and 'cos you've all been so good today, double µ-Ziq
Lunatic Harness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIBEwmyIwLA

Brace Yourself Jason -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_9nB37O_U

Hugh Hefner

#58 2015-09-12 01:00:20

An Unseen Scene

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-09-12 02:11:37)

#59 2015-09-12 02:23:38

Acton_Baby

^ tremendous stuff, looking forward to some of your selections when you're back from China.
I've that John Barleycorn Reborn cd kicking around somewhere it's really good.

Like you I've had my run-ins with the post industrial/wyrd folk right wing brigade, a scary bunch indeed and best avoided.
I worked as a studio engineer for Coil and some of their spin-off projects, when Sleazy and Jhon were based in Chiswick, and as a result got lots of enquiries to work on other similar stuff by bald/shaved head men with some very peculiar interests.

Hugh Hefner

#60 2015-09-12 02:29:47

An Unseen Scene

Blimey, then you know exactly what I mean.  I was aware as I wrote the post that it sounded fantastical, delusional stuff without first hand experience.
What a small world too.

I just realised what you said about Coil too - Coil got an almost 3D hallucinatory sound, often with minimal instrumentation.  Even if I didn't always feel comfortable with the music (which was the point in part) the sound was incredible.    Your work on their music and side artists will have contributed to that.

A few artists have achieved this level of sound immersion - a few come to mind: The Residents, Steve Roach, some Steve Hillage (Rainbow Dome Garden especially), Robert Fripp's soundscapes, Arvo Part, Pauline Oliveros, Gavin Bryars' Titantic album, Constance Demby, Meg Bowles, John Oswald on Grayfolded, Michael Stearns, some ECM like the Peter Eskine 'Star' album, Kevin Braheny, Gil Evans productions for Mles Davis, the Congas amazing reggae album, Sun Ra, the cosmic musique concrete of Parmegianni, Morton Subotnik, the beautiful music for the Tarkosky films by Artemyev, Popul Vuh, some Holger Czukay, Jon Hassel, Laraaji, early Negativaland, Tah Mahal Travellers from Japan, Michel Redolfi especially with his music recorded underwater, Taj Mahal Travellers from Japan, David Tudor 'Rainforest', Intersystems 'Free Psychedelic Poster Inside', Rod Modell & Michael Mantra 'Sonic Continuum', Pete Namlook, Alio Die.   I guess we are approaching the David Toop 'Ocean of Sound' type thinking.    Music can do very strange things to your head.

Really good studio engineering makes a massive contribution, I'm not sure it's appreciated enough, especially now when anybody can do their own music completely

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-09-12 04:11:56)

#61 2015-09-12 03:05:48

Acton_Baby

^ on a brighter note and an even smaller world, I got to know MV and Dean from Tower Recordings quite well, I've slept on Dean's couch more than on a few times over the years.
They were a lovely bunch and still have kept a great ethic and vibe to all their spin-off projects (I'm quite partial to the 'MV and EE with The Bummer Road'  recordings).

Coil's sound was a work of art, simple but very pyscho-acousticaly active -lot's of false/room harmonics creating 'ghost tones' and tons of 'post processing' thro' obscure and homemade fx boxes,
the use of non-musical sounds and using/abusing the sound desk as an instrument at mix down was always fun to watch.
Difficult bastards to work with tho', they were at their peak of their alcohol/psychedelic use at the time.

Last edited by Acton_Baby (2015-09-12 03:09:18)

Hugh Hefner

#62 2015-09-12 03:09:05

ZarJazz

#63 2015-09-12 03:09:39

Acton_Baby

^ oh yeah big_smile

Hugh Hefner

#64 2015-09-12 03:11:59

ZarJazz

Public Image Limited - Death Disco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8v-hxS_PyQ

Always cracked me up that this actually went out on a Thursday night primetime.

#65 2015-09-12 03:15:14

An Unseen Scene

Wow.  That's amazingly close in connection.  There was a beautiful Tower Recordings song that broke down into loads of noise and disturbing processed speech.   Used to freak me out and those new to the music found it actually disturbing.  Not the intent they wanted.   It was a curious time for home grown music.  I recall an artist who started sending me music called 'The Brotherhood of the Occult Sisterhood' who blew my head off with the intensity of their music.  There was also a freeform collective called Davenport who used to do these intense experimental jams as a one off and I tried to get everything they did.  I couldn't believe some of the places they reached, with fleeting moments of beauty before it all fell apart.  Though now I fear with my head in a different place it would be unlistenable.

Musicians who are using stimulants during recording are challenging in my limited experience.  Coil were deliberate/notorious for it of course.   

When I was recording soundscapes/ambient music it was done with real intent around frequencies, processing to create that immersive music and not background chill wallpaper.  One piece I did had motifs of varying short lengths repeated at differing cycles that would lengthen or shorten, it created a very good effect like Eno of never repeating but being familiar enough to drift off while still being conscious of listening.   

After KLF Jimmy Cauty got to some interesting places with sound too, particularly the longform 'Rites of Mu' that circulated but was never issued.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-09-12 06:32:39)

#66 2015-09-12 03:27:12

McGeorge Bundyburger

#67 2015-09-12 03:28:33

An Unseen Scene

Mention of PIL took me to Keith Levene and his work in USA.   

What was that track with the civil emergency-military speech over it about 'Stay indoors' by Keith LeBlanc (another Keith)  .  Chilling and great.      Just found it on this:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminal-City-Ricochet-Various-Artists/dp/B000000F7H/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442049739&sr=1-2&keywords=terminal+soundtrack
It should be on youtube.   Here's the track:  Message From Our Sponsor/Object-Subject

That also takes me back to Tackhead which shared musicians and the Adrian Sherwood sound.   'Mind At The End Of Its Tether'.

Talking of speech on records too - anyone heard 'Christian Zeal and Activity' by John Adams:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zeal_and_Activity
Try it on that Youtube - it always intrigues and unsettles me.

Also the track 'RF' by Scanner (chilling) and the original version of 'Here Comes The Flood' with a scientist talking about global cooling over Frippertronics in an extended opening section.

One of the best soundscape/spoken word releases is the three part 'Solitude' trilogy by Glenn Gould which he doesn't play a note in, but creates these amazing field/word recordings about the nature of solitude.

I mentioned Jimmy Cauty - when he did Black Smoke (go look them up ....oh and FTFFs) there was a truly sad track that combined Silent Night with supposed sound recordings of observers to 9-11.

Levene was connected with Pigface which were connected with Lard and Ministry.   I loved that hard early sound.   Bands like Frontline Assembly.

Then onto early Sub-Pop the psychedelia of Bongwater who I'm sure I heard Bugs Bunny in there somewhere.

So many links can go from one mention of PIL.   Off out now, back later.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-09-12 03:39:40)

#68 2015-09-12 03:41:36

Acton_Baby

Really loving everyones contributions,
perhaps the thread should have been called 'Ocean of Sound' in honour Dave Toop's excellent book and cd.

That early post-punk and early industrial stuff is a very fertile bed, lots of oddness abounds.
Delta 5, Bush Tetras, anything on Hard Wax records, Family Fodder the list is very long.

Like PiL, Throbbing Gristle is another nexus of the strange - Coil, Chris and Cosey, Psychic TV and loads more.

For a field recording, acoustic sound bending ur-text try...
Alvin Luciers - I Am Sitting In A Room

Hugh Hefner

#69 2015-09-12 03:43:31

An Unseen Scene

I am literally going out of the door when you mention Alvin Luciers - now that will make you hallucinate.   So simple, so head messing.   I feel odd remembering it, like drugs but music....well sound not music exactly..

right, this time I'm out of here.  Blimey Alvin Luciers.......

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-09-12 03:44:20)

#70 2015-09-12 03:46:19

Acton_Baby

Hugh Hefner

#71 2015-09-12 05:01:44

ZarJazz

Shockabilly - Day Tripper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdBzRgi0HwY

#72 2015-09-12 05:09:43

ZarJazz

I agree with Unseen, there was a time in the past when most of this music made some sense.
A lot of it is unlistenable through the lense of age and in the cold light of day but a lot of this creative, experimental stuff served as great referencing when I was a musician.
Pure nonsense and hapless happy accidents can lead to amazing sense sometimes.

Ferdinand Richard - Télé, après la météo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtShN98u5k

#73 2015-09-12 05:17:03

ZarJazz

Suicide - Ghost Rider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn7SBQ6X5HU

#74 2015-09-12 06:34:09

An Unseen Scene

Suicide I admired but struggled to settle to as a listener.  What an amazing first album they did.  That live concert with the riot too.  They seemed to live the music.  Makes me think of early Cabaret Voltaire too.

#75 2015-09-12 06:40:32

An Unseen Scene

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-09-12 06:43:32)

Board footer