You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-14 11:12:40

Patrick

Ash vs. Evil Dead

“Ash vs. Evil Dead” is a ten-episode television series on Starz. The series stars Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams — heroic slayer of demons, would-be Lothario, and a dab hand with a chain saw.

You need to see it. Here’s why:

1. All ten episodes stay true to the first rule of horror flicks, as codified by Joe Bob Briggs: Anyone can die at any moment. Especially the stupid self-righteous Aussie hiker guy.

2. Lucy Lawless (aka Xena, Warrior Princess) is in this thing, and performs some excellent kung fu. She is also resurrected from a pile of embers, slightly nekkid.

3. Bruce Campbell, as Ash, has a new prosthetic hand that can flip the bird, but still uses the same chainsaw, thus combining modernity with tradition.

4. The genius of the original Evil Dead film in 1981, and the 1987 sequel (the imaginatively titled Evil Dead II) is that in both films Ash takes a group of dopes to the same cabin and they read the same words from the same Book of the Dead — and are then surprised when demon zombies appear.

The Starz series continues this serious, extended meditation on human stupidity.

5. Each episode has at least one completely disgusting scene involving a minimum of one gallon of blood. Also: Demon vomiting, decapitations, antler death, crawling demon hand, head squishing, and a reprise of the old “talking head in a vise” trick from the first flick.

6. The soundtrack includes selections from The Amboy Dukes (featuring Ted Nugent), The Stooges, Alice Cooper, P.J. Harvey, Bootsy Collins, and Grover Washington Jr. doing “Just the Two of Us” during the scene when Ash takes the chainsaw to his evil twin.

7. I’ve heard of shotgunning marijuana before, but not with an actual shotgun.

8. Talking lizards, ayahuasca trips, and a whole lot of Carlos Castaneda weirdness.

9. Ash still drives a 1973 Delta 88.

10. The entire production is completely insane, and most emphatically does not take itself seriously.

Bonus reason: If you have Amazon Prime, you can sign up for a free week of Starz, watch “Ash vs. Evil Dead,” and then cancel.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#2 2016-01-14 12:05:30

McGeorge Bundyburger

Re: Ash vs. Evil Dead

This sounds pretty essential.  I haven't seen it, but it strikes me that you missed out another obvious reason why we need to see it:

11. It stars Bruce Campbell.

#3 2016-01-16 07:26:07

Old Harry

Thanks Patrick, Sounds like fun.

#4 2016-01-18 11:46:12

Acton_Baby

Good call Patrick, it's a lot of fun and filled with some great 'pop culture' references dotted through out.
On a Bruce Campbell tip, it's worth checking out his books 'If Chins Could Kill' and 'Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way'

If anyone in the UK/Europe has problems getting hold of episodes,  drop me a PM and I can try and sort out copies for you.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#5 2016-04-25 13:49:45

The Laird of Enfield

Very true tae the spirit ay the original fillums.

Bruce Campbell is a shinin' example tae eejits everywhaur.

Board footer