You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-25 05:58:40

Meehawl MacMurrachu

Rugged Ivy in the UK....

Purists reach for your buckets.....

https://www.otterwell.co.uk/

Otterwell is a small UK operation doing "rugged Ivy" - I saw this on the proper magazine blog(one of my guilty pleasures). They did some Albam type fisherman cagoules a few years back I remember.

They're doing "Rugged Ivy" shirts now.

Clearly meant to be worn untucked - sort of like a Woolster I guess.

#2 2016-05-25 08:33:57

Kingston1an

Re: Rugged Ivy in the UK....

Steampunk Ivy?

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2016-05-26 03:46:48

Acton_Baby

I got one of their last batch of oxford button downs, was not impressed and sent it straight back.

The quality of the fabric was similar to my Lean Garments shirts ( at a third of the cost ),
the much trumpeted 'Made in USA' construction was average at best with terrible finishing as there were loose threads and buttons abound
and
the sizing/fit was peculiar - narrow shoulders/yoke, full chest with a weird taper to the body, that made you look simultaneously 'squeezed in' and a bit 'blousey'

A shirt for someone that doesn't know any better IMHO.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#4 2016-05-26 10:13:28

AlexO

Hi All,

I’ve noticed a large number of hits from this forum on the Otterwell website so thought I would say hello. I have actually had an account to this forum for a good few years now but never posted or got involved for some reason. My name is Alex Otterwell and the brand is run solely by myself and as stated is not a purist Ivy brand but Ivy certainly is an influence for what I do along with several other styles and subcultures.

Good to hear criticism good and bad and sorry to hear you was unhappy with your shirt Acton_Baby please feel free to send any further feedback as this is the first I have heard.

I actually have a new factory closer to home making the next shirts with a improved fit, new fabrics and a much more competitive price point and dare I say it i the purists might approve wink

Anyway great forum and a great source of interest and inspiration for me.

Best,

Alex

#5 2016-05-26 10:38:49

Acton_Baby

^ AlexO,
Not to have a complete downer
I really liked your ventile parka
and you stock Duckfeet shoes ( the nordic prince of 'lovely-ugly shoes') which has to be commended

wink

Last edited by Acton_Baby (2016-05-26 10:42:09)

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#6 2016-05-26 11:49:01

Tommy

Alex, I'm glad your not offended by Acton (The Real Doctor Denim, Professor of Americana Clothing) whose views I'd largely agree with.

I think it also depend what YOU want from YOUR brand?

Some of the details are some what authentic- you seem to have tried to get them the collars to roll on the Button Downs. Button down penny collars did exist as Hardy and Johnson have proved, though maybe not on many popovers and I'm not a fan to be honest with ya.

They look cool in a Oipolloi semi-obscure brand kind of way, but most people on here are fairly purist. 90% of my clothes reflect my intrest in clothing from mid 1950s- mid/ late 1960s.

The last really cool shirt venture over here was Fitzgerald's Clothiers which sadly seemed to proove difficult to keep going despite fanatical support from many on here and the fact Henry clearly knew how to produce a great shirt, despite his manufacturers not maybe appreciating/ understanding what he was doing. But I guess with yourself this is already more of an an established business. If you wanted to produce a shirt that would sell to both Purists and a wider market- I'm sure we could help you source authentic 60s shirts of a more fitted cut- a Gant Hugger, a Sero... er... Purist, etc. I doubt they would share manufacturing links or design details, but JSA produce a fine Madras and I like their Shirts, even if most I pick up in the sales, they're well designed.

Board footer