Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#27 2017-09-27 19:10:14

mhalat

Re: What books are you reading at the moment

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

mhalat wrote:

Charles Portis - True Grit
Deleuze & Guattari - A Thousand Plateaus (You can take the grad student out of school, etc etc)

I think next up I want to read Year of the Machete, an oral history of the Rwandan genocide. I used to read a lot of African literature in High School, as the dry and pitch black African sense of humour really appeals to me. It tends to go from 0-100 and back very quickly, something that endeared me to a lot of West African folks when I lived in London.

Did you finish True Grit? What did you think?

Currently:
Jacques Tati: His Life & Art, by David Bellos
Ultimate Glory, by David Gessner (almost finished with this)
I began a marathon re-read of Douglas Adams with HGTTG
Working my way through the Epic reissues of Moebius and through Usagi Yojimbo

Imminently:
The Sculptor's Daughter, by Tove Jansson
4 3 2 1, by Paul Auster

True Grit was really great, and makes me want to read more of his contemporary writing. I enjoyed that the book was narrated by a young girl, which gives the proceedings an interesting twist from the typical Western yarn. But more than that, it's FUNNY, laugh-out-loud funny. People are largely absurd heaps of contradictions, and do spend a good deal of our lives trying to justify this fact to ourselves, often behaving ridiculously in the process. Sometimes, we can be heroic, or abysmally evil too. Portis captures all of that, with a particular eye for the specific contradictions that make Americans, well, themselves.

#28 2017-12-06 02:22:25

BarryB12

I liked that Murder in Miami, its great collection to read.

#29 2017-12-06 11:21:12

Berkeley_Breathes

I just finished The Scarab Murder Case, a Philo Vance mystery by SS Van Dine... Ol' Philo is kind of the red-headed stepchild of detectives these days despite being very popular in the 1920s... He's pretty tiresome and Van Dine has many irritating tics as a writer... But lordy I couldn't put the damn thing down, and the plot was actually very surprising and well-crafted without resorting to Agatha Christie tricks (where the whole thing is solved with secret info the reader has never been privy to).

I'm also reading The Dark Frontier by Eric Ambler, his first novel - kind of John le Carre meets The Prisoner of Zelda, so far... Lots of fun.

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Board footer