You are not logged in.

#101 2017-10-02 13:58:44

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Flicking the Bean

mhalat wrote:

Interesting that you mention this sense of sartorial terroire, Berkeley.

One of my dearest friends is from Peterboro, New Hampshire, and one of the reasons I got into Ivy to begin with.... come to think of it, there are two, both centred on the same dude:

1) Despite our both being American, though I've been a Canadian for half my life now, we actually both met in the UK, in graduate school. At the time, I would dress very ruggedly, as suits the Canadian winter in particular. Think vintage wool hunting jackets in Buffalo check, beat-to-shit selvedge denim shirts, red wing work boots, and so on. Our British classmates, especially the Old Etonians and Oxbridgeans didn't really know what to make of me and the fact that I looked a bit like a lumberjack, frankly. Meanwhile, I was fascinated by how the old money in particular dressed in a very utilitarian fashion, in some ways much like myself, but with a lot of the rough edges of 'country' dress sanded off. Maybe you had holes in your cords, but you wore them w/ Church's (back when their shoes were truly something special) and so on. I probably have more British influence in my style of dress than many Canadians, or Ivy purists, as a result, but that experience really stuck with me.

2) To this day, we hang out every few years in NH for a week or two over Christmas, and it never ceases to be a highlight for me. Canada, is wonderful during the winter, don't get me wrong, but there's a certain American old-boy-jackassery that is missing from these parts, or the more civilized parts of the country anyhow. I often miss my drinking buddies down there, to say nothing of spending the afternoons snow kayaking, and doing other things that we really shouldn't be. Anyhow, I have a good deal of affinity for New England, its lifestyle, and its natural beauty. I sometimes wonder if part of how I dress is an expression of this affinity.

Thanks for getting me thinking.

After my freshman year of college, which I did at a super hippie school in Massachusetts, I went home to Maine to figure out what the heck I wanted to do. For Thanksgiving, I went up to the Dover-Foxcroft area of Maine to spend the weekend at a really good high school friend's cabin... We made bacon and burgers in the same pan and then my friend said if it snowed he'd jump in the pond behind the cabin. Sure enough, it snowed the next morning. There were actually turkeys walking around in the snow, it was like Norman Rockwell. Max runs out and jumps in the pond and then gets back inside next to the woodstove. That (and a lot more) is LL Bean to me.

That's why, yeah, I know that clothes made in China or wherever can be just as high quality. But I want clothes that are associated with something more than the brand. That's the allure of a lot of the clothes we love here at TI - clothes that speak to more than the label or the brand, but to functionality, or their Aran/Arran provenance wink

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#102 2017-10-22 22:04:09

stanshall

couple of months ago I ordered a small roll of Carhartt brown duck fabric, factory seconds, for repairs to one of my old Bean duffles, and a couple of weeks ago the stuff arrived, I brought the material and duffle bag to my regular alterations tailor, told him to patch the holes with rectangular patchwork the way he thought best, and dude nailed it.

so that was a good move, and there's some more material left for other repairs if necessary.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#103 2017-10-22 23:53:44

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ Its very satisfying to repair loved items like that and get a new lease of life out of them. Well played Stan!

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#104 2017-10-26 09:41:10

stanshall

/\  thanks Woof, every once in a while one of my grand schemes works out the way I intended ....

currently I have a pair of 30+-year-old Andover Shop worsted trousers at the tailor's being tweaked here and there .....

they're faves and I'm extending their life in spite of a do not resuscitate order

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#105 2017-11-27 10:24:06

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

https://s8.postimg.org/ug0e0jt9x/8952_E520-204_B-406_D-_B4_EE-4908090494_A0.jpg

A grey, rainy afternoon led to an ironing fest at Woof Towers today and a review of the shirt collection. Featuring in it are these four LL Beaners. I have two or three other shirting product from the Bean clothier, but these tattershall type button downs with the flap pockets are definitely amongst,my favourite casual wear 'go to' shirts this time of year. This design of shirt was evidently a Bean staple, in various colours for many a year, and they all have the label on the collar with the reference to single needle tailoring, they are 60/40 mix, tough as old boots and I love 'em. The two nearest in the picture were USA made and the others were 'assembled' in Costa Rica - but out of USA components! Assembly of these pattern of shirts has also taken place in Honduras. There are loads of them on eBay and well worth the little that is normally asked for them.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#106 2017-11-27 13:20:10

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

https://i.imgur.com/8fsN6kH.jpg

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#107 2017-11-28 07:51:08

Berkeley_Breathes

woofboxer wrote:

https://s8.postimg.org/ug0e0jt9x/8952_E … 494_A0.jpg

A grey, rainy afternoon led to an ironing fest at Woof Towers today and a review of the shirt collection. Featuring in it are these four LL Beaners. I have two or three other shirting product from the Bean clothier, but these tattershall type button downs with the flap pockets are definitely amongst,my favourite casual wear 'go to' shirts this time of year. This design of shirt was evidently a Bean staple, in various colours for many a year, and they all have the label on the collar with the reference to single needle tailoring, they are 60/40 mix, tough as old boots and I love 'em. The two nearest in the picture were USA made and the others were 'assembled' in Costa Rica - but out of USA components! Assembly of these pattern of shirts has also taken place in Honduras. There are loads of them on eBay and well worth the little that is normally asked for them.

Excellent shirts, Woof! Love those patterns, that first green/red especially!! Love the pen slots in the flap pockets too, my one flap-pocket Bean OCBD has that too...

#108 2017-11-28 09:20:27

Classic

Very nice. Where is that from?

"Today, we single-handedly destroyed the polyester industry."

Blog | Instagram

#109 2017-11-28 14:54:12

Babbling Brooks

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/66/8c/3b/668c3ba8ea8b03cbd8d8c932b25b5dff--duck-boots-mens-boots.jpg

#110 2017-11-28 15:01:44

Berkeley_Breathes

Classic wrote:

Very nice. Where is that from?

Portrait of Leon Gorman, it's at Bean's in Freeport now I believe.

Board footer