You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-10 14:56:18

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Hertling Trouser Trove on eBay

eBay seller Martin Hartley has a stack of Hertling trousers for sale at present.

http://stores.ebay.com/martinhartley?_t … 7675.l2563

Hertlings are one of the top trouser makers in the US, they supply O'Connell's, J Press, Ben Silver, The Andover Shop and numerous high end mens outfitters. The quality is second to none.

Here is a fit chart, the sizes given are for a waist size 34.

https://s17.postimg.org/dhvtmuvj3/IMG_1318.png

I have several pairs of Wilson fit trousers bought from Martin Hartley or O'Connell's and they are perfect in my opinion.

Martin Hartley is in the Premier League of eBay sellers and a pleasure to deal with. He will consider sensible offers where the 'make an offer' option is on the listing.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#2 2018-01-10 15:09:07

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Hertling Trouser Trove on eBay

Cool find woof... I see they have a pair made for David Wood in Portland ME, a great men's shop I used to drive by on my way home from high school every day...

"Always take your job seriously, never yourself." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

#3 2018-01-10 20:28:00

Worried Man

I must say, I ordered a pair listed as 100% cotton twill.  I've worn many pairs of the O'C's cotton twills.  I love them.  The pants I received felt like 3 ounce cotton and had a HORRIBLE slippery sheen to the fabric.  Very lightweight and just horrible.  I'd be amazed if they were all cotton.  Felt like a lightweight cotton/poly blend with a slippery coating or some spandex added or something.  I asked if he would accept a return and he refused.  So, ask plenty of questions up front if looking to buy.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2018-01-10 20:31:28

Worried Man

Oh, and I also own the cotton-poly blend poplins from O'Connell's and these were some other beast altogether.  Not sure what the heck they were.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#5 2018-01-10 20:34:43

Berkeley_Breathes

Worried Man wrote:

Oh, and I also own the cotton-poly blend poplins from O'Connell's and these were some other beast altogether.  Not sure what the heck they were.

Interesting WM, did you feel that you got a different item than was listed/pictured? Most of these seem to have a label pictured with the fabric listed... Maybe it's an issue with the factory. Not planning on picking any of these up, just curious...

#6 2018-01-10 20:59:24

Worried Man

They appeared to be the pants that were in the listing.  Sold by O'C's originally.  They LOOKED like the 8 oz twills in the picture, but as soon as I touched them I knew something was wrong.

Last edited by Worried Man (2018-01-10 20:59:57)

#7 2018-01-10 21:07:49

Berkeley_Breathes

Worried Man wrote:

They appeared to be the pants that were in the listing.  Sold by O'C's originally.  They LOOKED like the 8 oz twills in the picture, but as soon as I touched them I knew something was wrong.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4KszoHlOkfVsc/giphy.gif

#8 2018-01-11 07:59:07

Worried Man

Hahaha. 

I'm not saying the seller purposely tried to mislead or pull anything.  And he also stated "no returns" in the listing.  But I sell stuff online frequently and always try to make my customers happy if there's any issue.  I was just a little irritated by the lack of customer service from a "premier league" seller.  Figured it was worth mentioning in case anyone is thinking of buying.

#9 2018-01-11 10:30:41

Berkeley_Breathes

Worried Man wrote:

Hahaha. 

I'm not saying the seller purposely tried to mislead or pull anything.  And he also stated "no returns" in the listing.  But I sell stuff online frequently and always try to make my customers happy if there's any issue.  I was just a little irritated by the lack of customer service from a "premier league" seller.  Figured it was worth mentioning in case anyone is thinking of buying.

Yeah, I agree. When you think of the effort to list something, get it in the mail, etc... customer service, even if it's just being polite, really seems like the least amount of work for someone selling on eBay. My experience has been that bad customer service usually indicates something sketchy about the product itself, on eBay or anywhere. Thanks for the heads up!

If someone else dares to pull the trigger on a pair of these, definitely update us on your experience.

#10 2018-01-11 10:34:31

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Worried Man wrote:

I must say, I ordered a pair listed as 100% cotton twill.  I've worn many pairs of the O'C's cotton twills.  I love them.  The pants I received felt like 3 ounce cotton and had a HORRIBLE slippery sheen to the fabric.  Very lightweight and just horrible.  I'd be amazed if they were all cotton.  Felt like a lightweight cotton/poly blend with a slippery coating or some spandex added or something.  I asked if he would accept a return and he refused.  So, ask plenty of questions up front if looking to buy.

I'm sorry to hear about that Worried dear chum.

I've only ever been delighted with stuff I've got from him. I've bought cords, cavalry twills and wool trousers from this seller, all of which are identical to pairs I had previously seen in OCs or J Press and of course significantly cheaper.

I've got a long boring story about a pair of cords he sent me that, due to mishandling by a hotel I was staying at in NYC, went missing in the US postal system. I gave up any hope of ever receiving them, but they got returned to Martin Hartley months later and he sent them on to me, when really I would have been none the wiser if he hadn't.

The only cotton trousers I got from him were a stone coloured pair of summer strides.  These were in a lightweight fabric which is what I was expecting - maybe you ended up with a pair of them in khaki? 

Disappointing to hear that a refund was declined though... so the advice about asking plenty of questions is good.

John Simons

#11 2018-01-11 11:48:45

Worried Man

They're probably the Loro Piana dress cotton.  That would explain why they felt so lightweight and, well, European.  In that regard, I was making a purchase with more significant savings than I would had he sent the regular cotton twills.  But that's what I thought I was purchasing, and hence my dismay.

#12 2018-01-12 22:21:07

ste

Can I ask - is a size 34 actually 34 inches, or is it 32 inches or something else altogether?

#13 2018-01-13 02:11:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

ste wrote:

Can I ask - is a size 34 actually 34 inches, or is it 32 inches or something else altogether?

I've got half a dozen pairs of Hertling trousers and they run true to size, so 34 waist is 34 inches.

John Simons

#14 2018-01-16 16:10:33

ste

Thanks.

Board footer