#1 2018-02-17 02:31:17

An Unseen Scene

A Modernist- DVD on pre-order

http://monomediafilms.london/our-films/a-modernist/

#2 2018-02-17 04:35:14

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: A Modernist- DVD on pre-order

Nice one Unseen, the trailer on this link looks good. If you buy the DVD you can have JS veneration on demand!

There are some more cinema showings of the film planned, dates to be announced.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2018-02-17 04:52:00

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The usual suspects on this trailer, but Elms has it nailed when he says:

'the reason the Mod look always comes back is that it's the only youth culture uniform that doesn't look rediculous in retrospect'

... good point that.

John Simons

#4 2018-02-17 09:44:51

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#5 2018-02-17 12:18:19

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#6 2018-02-17 12:49:26

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Woofie thats really not the worst. I think theres a mix of the Britpop generation dropping out of the scene and a return of people from the 80s who really are little more than hobbists. Still a core of cool people into it but the scenes not what it was even 10 years ago. No one goes to the Brighton rally anymore thats sussed for instance. Theres deffo a feel of naffness to most club nights and thats turned a lot of people I know off the scene. Theres always been two mod scenes, one clown like and one sharp but the sussed one is in a real lull. TBH its over bar the shouting. No matter what the has beens or onlookers might say.

#7 2018-02-17 13:44:15

An Unseen Scene

Through social media leading to people finding each other eventually, old Mod friends still carrying on in the scene all the way to now for over thirty years later reconnected online a year ago, encouraging me back.  But is looks so stilted, still where we were then. I am glad they are together and happy.  I still think of myself as a modernist (small m) and search out new designers, style, interesting architecture, art, modern and old music in the spirit of the ethos- but equally as much contemporary than old and never overt Mod.   I would really enjoy a more 'sussed' event but anything specifically intended to be proper Mod makes me cringe as old man, nostalgic dress up.  The best Mods such as GYW are barely noticed other than for their seemingly effortless sharpness.

I do genuinely believe now we are in the last part of that era's appreciation to the same degree.  My kids are sussed young men who can pick and mix influences, interests and eras without needing boundaries.  They think Mod looked cool and might enjoy aspects of it, but have no need for a fixed identity or tribe.

Incidentally today, as I came out from haircut outside Rob Smith's record shop, a 70s era skinhead now in late 50s was stood in red Harrington, teardrop tattoo now faded, espousing openly blunt racism to a friend.  Some people never change.  He looked at me half in recognition due to my look (Ivy/slightly suedehead) as I went around him quickly.

I hope we get plenty of actual footage from the shops over the years on the DVD rather than just talking heads.  My hopes are not high though I have ordered. We know the story it will tell already.  I thought their Peter Blake one was pretty poor, just Sky wanting an album cover hour rather than specifically about Peter Blake or his art.

#8 2018-02-17 14:56:57

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I quite like the Dj line up at that Cohoots but the "smart dress only" bit puts me off for the very reasons you post Mark. I can just see me getting a black eye on the dancefloor off some bods shoulder wadding in their online purchased 159.99 suit. These days I'm more likely to go to things like the Limerick R&B weekender. Just a mix of people than are into the tunes, feels more natural, if you get me. All those "we are the mods" types without any modernist in them just isn't where I'm at. Its got to the stage of the old Teds you use to see about in the late 70s. I'll be interested to read what you think of this DVD.

Those old Skinhead types don't change do they?

#9 2018-02-17 16:45:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Those 60 year old re-enactors who want to dress exactly how they did in their teens are always going to look absurd. You even see the odd original punk rocker now in their 50s, stlill doggedly hanging on to the look. In a way you have to admire their determination to be oblivious as to how ridiculous they look, but it does point to a lack of imagination.

I suppose what Elmsie is saying there is that the basics of the mod and/or ivy look still hold good and underpin much of modern menswear. Button down shirts, Levi's, chinos, natural shoulder jackets, brogues, loafers all look as good to my eye as they did fifty years ago and they are on sale everywhere in shops that cater for all ages. We are just more exacting about what shops we buy them from.

John Simons

#10 2018-02-17 23:41:21

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I guess it depends on how interested you are in the history of "Mod". Its a very British take on Modernist design, and truth be told Brits didn't really get the Modernist period until it was turning into post modern on the larger scale of design in mainstream that was happening in the U.S and Europe. We copped for what? The last ten years of the Modernist period? Maybe 15 at a push from when it was considered "exotic".

Then theres the cut off point if you are interested where these type of things when it all becomes just  the same old info rehashed to sell a product, even more so since the internet.

Kudos for using the word Modernist rather than mod though. Most likely to remove the film from attachment from your mirrored up PX rider in his target t-shirt and cemented shoes.

I always be a modernist (small m) and always enjoy the history and design of it, but when it comes to clobber I only take the ethos of the late 50s Mods and put that into today. For me thats soft tailoring and slow wear. Anything else is just for dinosuars.

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2018-02-17 23:42:26)

Board footer