You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-30 00:13:08

Beestonplace

Contrast collar question and yes it is 2018

Dear most of the members here, what is your view on shirts with a white collar? This one in particular:

http://turnbullandasser.eu/shirts-blre-poplin-cotton-stripe-classic-fit-cl-dc-3

I know its a bit Wolf of Wallstreet, and there are not so many opportunities when one could actually wear it. Still. Want.

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2018-06-30 04:22:01

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Contrast collar question and yes it is 2018

Better with those stripes than solid blue, I think. Collar only works if it's 1987 or you're over 70 years old, though.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2018-06-30 06:44:12

Beestonplace

Believe it or not but in Germany they do sell these kind of shirts but with a plain light blue body and button cuffs.

I LOVE , this foum

#4 2018-07-01 10:08:19

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Theyre just fine. Generally, I find that if a man wears too many of them, he becomes The guy in the white collared shirt.

#5 2018-07-01 15:45:23

chatsworth osborne jr.

For more delicate fabrics, it makes perfect sense. Those gauzy end-on-end shirts always wear at alarming rates at cuff and collar for me.  But yes, like bow ties and other noticeable items, the use must be limited to avoid being viewed as too affected.

#6 2018-07-01 17:42:37

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#7 2018-07-12 19:20:27

Chévere

Well, my daughter told me a few years ago that only guys over sixty should wear white collared shirts.
So faithful to my daughter I am now 63 and wearing a few of them. I'm not yet the guy in the white collared shirt, but maybe that is a better alternative to the the guy who wears a lot of white shirts.

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#8 2018-07-20 23:54:27

Beestonplace

In the end I didn't buy it.

I LOVE , this foum

#9 2018-07-21 09:43:58

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

One variation of white collar and cuff that I used to do was putting a lighter shade of blue or pink for collar and cuffs than for the body. You had to get just the right contrast to not make it stand out too much and not look like the collar and cuff was more faded than the body. It had a rich, pleasing effect.

There is another school of thought for white collar and/or cuffs which is men who think they cant wear busier or brighter shirts to work; the white collar and cuffs makes everything instantly acceptable for situations where they feel their clothing shouldn't be too distracting. That has died down a bit now that more color and pattern is permissible for men than before 2009.

#10 2018-07-21 19:15:44

Berkeley_Breathes

#11 2018-07-22 06:52:12

Babbling Brooks

I was just saying how American Psycho it gets in here

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#12 2018-07-22 17:15:23

Berkeley_Breathes

"Now, FNB..." I clear my throat. "You've got to wear clothes in proportion to your physique," I begin, talking to nobody. "There are definitely dos and don't, good buddy, of wearing a bengal-striped shirt. A bengal-striped shirt calls for small-pattern Hermes ties...."

The door to the office opens and I wave in the members from Talk Ivy, who are surprisingly young, and wearing poplin Brooks Brothers suits unlike mine, slightly disheveled in a hip way, which worries me. I offer a reassuring smile.

"And a shirt with a high yarn count means it's more durable than one that doesn't... Yes, I know.... But to determine this you've got to examine the material's weave.... I'll be posting a few threads about the newest yarn counts at Turnbull & Asser soon...."

Board footer