You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-09 13:23:46

Beestonplace

Tie/shirt colour combos and the Seasons

You can often read that (for example) Burgundy ties and blue shirts should be worn in cooler seasons, while white shirts and brighter ties are more appropriate for summer and spring.

Being the colour-sensitive person that I am, I would wholeheartedly agree. But then again - a suit is a suit and tie a tie. It will never be a really comfortable shorts-and-t-shirt kind of summer leisure outfit. So why bother? and with sportswear and casual clothes, (young) people wear black all the time, including summer.

Can someone shed some light on it?

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2018-08-09 14:37:40

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Tie/shirt colour combos and the Seasons

I think this is a very nice idea for a thread Beeston, I would like to have a Bromance with you.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2018-08-09 18:58:21

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#4 2018-08-10 13:42:27

Beestonplace

That is all? No-one else

I LOVE , this foum

#5 2018-08-10 15:35:58

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I have no problem with either blue shirts or white shirts for summer but I tend to drop bright ties on them. I do also like vivid colored shirts sometimes in bolder patterns and darker shirts for summer with slightly lighter/brighter ties on top.

Exs. A Wedgwood blue shirt with a bright orange tie on top or a bright red butcher stripe shirt with a yellow tie or a red tie on top.

A lot of this is more about the similarity of tones rather than colors. Thus it isnt so much red tie on blue shirt for winter, so much as icy blue shirt with burgundy tie for winter and medium blue shirt with bright red tie for summer.

#6 2018-08-10 23:36:29

Beestonplace

@FNB o you are describing what you are doing, but WHY is that so. I found Berkeley_Breathes' view interesting - he seems to try to "counteract" summer's brightness.

I LOVE , this foum

#7 2018-08-11 20:55:33

Berkeley_Breathes

^ Yes, that's what I'm doing, though I didn't realize it until this topic came up and I started thinking about it. Very interesting question, and I also would like to hear more members' thoughts on this...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#8 2018-08-11 23:06:42

Beestonplace

I also notice that white shirts seems to overpower darker ties, lets say a nay blue one with a wine red pattern, making it look even darker, because the eye tries to adjust to the brightness of the shirt.

I LOVE , this foum

#9 2018-08-12 12:20:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

It really depends on the tie and the shirt. No two navy ties with red designs will be the same nor will white shirts. It's somewhat hard for a beginner to force into visualization sweeping rules for what ties go on what shirts. Some of it depends on where you are and what you're doing thus time, place and manner always have influence. Another factor could be one's coloring; no point in wearing a yellow shirt if it picks up something negative in your complexion.

Sometimes a white shirt competes with a busy tie and sometimes it compliments it. Sometimes a combination of colors is nice but you still dont like it.

I tend to favor strong contrasts and crisp or jewel tone colors vs. earth tones or muted colors.

I am not worried about people noticing my tie or my shirt, that's going to happen anyway because I have a knack with combinations and I wear better quality gear more carefully selected than most men.

Youre right, im talking about what I do. I will probably never identity with people that worry over charts or fitting in with the season. I am no longer a slave to my clothing or other people's opinions and it works very well for me. If you just want to fit in with your surroundings, just copy what people around you are wearing.

#10 2018-08-12 13:14:30

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#11 2018-08-12 15:18:50

Berkeley_Breathes

It's not that I chart out my clothes or plan for the seasons, but I do find myself unconsciously making decisions that may be affected by what's going on outside.

#12 2018-08-12 22:12:19

Beestonplace

That was my point

I LOVE , this foum

#13 2018-08-12 22:14:34

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#14 2018-08-13 23:28:08

chatsworth osborne jr.

Presumably this is all holdover from, what, Victorian era division between formal work in the city and summer vacation off in the country, although darker colors just have more visual weight to them as well. Furthermore, there is the reflection of nature in that winter is stark, autumnal colors are largely reddish orange, and warm weather means lush verdancy and all kinds of fruity colors for both flora and fauna.

I can't say much about this white shirt/blue shirt thing beyond that light tie with blue shirt is a more predominantly summer look.

#15 2018-08-14 04:18:20

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I'm not conscious of the season influencing my choice of shirt colour. Pale or mid solid blues are my staple through the year, with the odd blue or red stripe ones. I have these in different weights of cloth, I can't comfortably wear Oxford cloth in the summer. But certain suits just seem to demand a white shirt.

My tie choice is definitely affected by the season with bright Madras patterns and silk knits coming out for summer. More muted colours for autumn and winter.

Clothes made from lighter material for warm weather wear are usually made in lighter colours anyway so, for off the peg stuff, the choice is to some extent made for you.

I do have a Brooks suit in a light tropical wool that is a formal looking dark charcoal pin stripe. Despite the suit being extremely light and comfortable the colour never seems quite right for summer and it needs an orange paisley tie or something equally jarring to lift it.

John Simons

#16 2018-08-14 07:46:29

Berkeley_Breathes

@ woof: Great points re: summer clothes already being in lighter colors, and darker lightweight suits not seeming right. Caustic Man (who posts at IS and SF) has a navy seersucker suit, and I just can't wrap my head around it as a summer suit. I wear a hopsack navy blazer sometimes on cooler summer days, but always with a brighter tie... Even my navy poplin suit doesn't get as much wear as the olive and khaki poplin...

#17 2018-08-15 09:58:38

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

Board footer