You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-18 01:45:41

Beestonplace

The Petite bourgeoisie happiness about your wardrobe

I don't down a very impressive collection of clothes. Less than 10 pairs of OTR shoes, some OTR suits bought whenever Jermyn Street is on "sale", 30 nearly identical ties, some outerwear with the most expensive item being a covert coat for around 500 GBP. A pair of sterling silver cufflinks, bought many moons ago. Little knick-knacks, such as less than 10 silk pocket squares, two cashmere scarves bought when on sale. Not a single piece was made MTM or bespoke. Not a single item costing 1000 GBP or more. All quite simple, pedestrian, common.

And when I look at my stuff, I cannot hide a certain happiness. Everything fits well, makes me look good, suits my skin complexion, hair colour, age, station in life. It is just "right", and very much in line of who I am.

It is not so much the value or rarity or specialness of the individual items, it is more how they all go together and how they look on me.

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2018-08-18 08:44:22

Botolph

Re: The Petite bourgeoisie happiness about your wardrobe

And that’s all that really matters.  I’m in the process of paring down my wardrobe to more essential items, and what will make-or-break me keeping them or not will be their hue and compatibility with my complexion and hair color.  In my twenties and thirties, I wasted a good amount of money on items I thought were the proverbial dog’s danglies, whether they actually looked good on me or not.  Due to exposure to “casual culture” on the fringe of the Oi! scene and friends in England, I ended up obtaining a collection of that sort of gear(Stone Island, 6876, C.P. Company, etc.), and after a while I realized that most of it looks foolish on me.  Soon after, I reverted back to my normal look(classic “skinhead”/Ivy League/traditional), but kept a couple vintage pieces by C.P., Stone Island, and Paul& Shark which fit into a more classic look.
  Oddly enough, one of the main items I’ll be keeping is a covert coat, too.  Nice, grey one that was made to order.  Not ultra expensive, but made for me and it gets more compliments than any of my other coats.
  Anyways, in summation, I applaud your frugality and I hope to achieve a more slimmed-down wardrobe as well.

#3 2018-08-18 10:53:41

Beestonplace

I would not call myself "frugal". The ties are Hermes and the shoes C&J and the shirts T&A. I would call myself "sober", putting less excitement into the individual pieces and more focus on the overall effect. It was an expensive journey to find out what NOT to buy/wear. In hindsight, the real "cash burner" was to buy cheap, to go for 4-for-100GBP-Offers at TM Lewin, to buy things just because they were on sale, to buy things I "thought" I should be wearing.

I LOVE , this foum

#4 2018-08-18 13:32:07

Botolph

#5 2018-08-18 14:48:45

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#6 2018-08-18 14:54:27

Beestonplace

or AngryYoungPoor? From SF?

Casuals AND Ivy...

I LOVE , this foum

#7 2018-08-18 20:25:34

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#8 2018-08-18 23:01:49

Beestonplace

It just SO a rare coincidence that someone is familiar with "Casuals" AND Ivy. And found his way to his forum.

I LOVE , this foum

#9 2018-08-19 02:49:47

Botolph

#10 2018-08-19 04:36:47

Berkeley_Breathes

You're not cluttering anything up, carry on.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#11 2018-08-28 07:47:29

Chévere

Botolph, my son now lives in Boston.
Love it.

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#12 2018-08-28 09:30:37

Botolph

Fair play, gents.  I’ve been to and lived in different places, but I always feel at home in Town.

#13 2018-08-28 09:59:26

Berkeley_Breathes

I lived in Allston Brighton for a couple years, spent a lot of time at the MFA and Brookline Booksmith as well... My parents bought a place in Charlestown so even though I live in NYC now I have a good excuse to go back...

Went to the North Bennet Street School in the North End, too, which was a fun experience and allowed me to eat a shocking amount of Italian sandwiches...

#14 2018-08-28 10:22:19

Botolph

#15 2018-09-14 05:52:08

adorable homunculus

Last edited by adorable homunculus (2018-09-14 06:17:22)

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#16 2018-09-14 06:47:32

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ The Young Soul Rebel affair was one of the most hilarious episodes in FNB forum history. Sadly the videos he posted on YouTube of him setting fire to vintage Ivy shirts in his bathroom (in order to teach people on Talk Ivy a lesson) have all been taken down. Perhaps after some sober reflection he felt a tad embarrassed about it all?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#17 2018-09-17 14:09:33

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I remember him, the guy with the tattooed hands who lived in a shithole? Knew he was a wrong un. Had a woeful dress style as well as I recall. More the fool anyone who thought otherwise. Looked like a hillbilly crackhead if you ask me.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

Board footer