You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-16 03:24:11

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Masculine Style Challenge

I guess like most on here I'm pretty much over menswear bloggs, theres only so many times I wanna read about "your first suit choice" or "the dos and don'ts of dressing" but some time ago I stumbled over a collection of videos on YT by a guy called Tanner Guzy. I quite like him though not everything he says I agree with and some of his videos I found to be just waffle, overall their a very enjoyable watch. Anyway I signed upto his news letter and while he offers advice for "novices" on dressing better I've rather enjoyed his wit in them.
Yesterday I got an email about a style challenge this coming week, I have no idea what its going to be but I suspect it'll be aimed at guys that don't work in the building trades so I doubt I'll be able to take part. The email was as follows;

I'm really excited for the style challenge next week.

You'll be getting a new task each day Mon - Sat and I'll be there with you every step of the way to make sure you're doing them right.

You're not going to have to buy any new clothes either.

It's all about getting you set up better with what you have and making sure you know what you're doing the next time you do need to go shopping.

All you'll need is to make sure you read each day's email to get access to the challenge.

On the ones where I'm offering direct feedback from me, make sure you tag @tannerguzy on Twitter so I can see what you're working on and give you some help.

That's it!

I'll get you Challenge #1 on Monday.

Talk to you then!

- Tanner

So I thought I'd post up each of these challenges just out of interest, maybe, to some of my FNB comrades and maybe you'd like to take part? Even with a couple of snaps of your interpretations of said challenges? Just for fun, likesay.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#2 2018-09-16 11:41:12

An Unseen Scene

Re: Masculine Style Challenge

I'm slighty intrigued.... lets see whst they are

#3 2018-09-16 23:31:44

Beestonplace

"You'll be getting a new task each day Mon - Sat "

Tempting.

I LOVE , this foum

#4 2018-09-17 00:48:36

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#5 2018-09-17 13:03:45

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Well heres day ones, bit crap really. I'm not on twitter so I can't do it anyway. Hopefully tomorrows will be a bit more interesting...I may have drived in without thinking this through though.

Be a man - take a selfie
Tanner Guzy <tanner@masculine-style.com>
Today, 13:36You
Hi Simon!

Welcome to day one of the 6-Day Style Challenge

Before you can move forward, you need to know where you are.

That's a basic principle of growth in any arena.

It's why there's a fitness assessment with personal trainers

Why athletic coaches need to watch you play your sport

Why business consultants need to see your operations

And why accountants start off by taking a look at your existing books.

You can't know where you need to improve without knowing what your current strengths and weaknesses are.

And it's no different when it comes to your style.

You need to know what the impression is that you're giving the world around you.

So here's your challenge for today.

Take a selfie, post it on Twitter, use the hashtag #stylechallenge, and tag @tannerguzy in it.

The more you can show me the better.

If it's just your shirt, I can't help nearly as much as if I see your pants and shoes as well.

I'll respond with my first impression of you, along with tips on how to improve fit, pattern, cohesion, etc.

Now, I know that a lot of you value you your anonymity and so do I.

So if you don't want to put your face out there - don't.

I don't need to see any details like company logos, your face, or unique aspects of where you live to give you good feedback about the first impression you give and how your stuff fits.

That's it for today.

Take a photo, post it up, and get feedback on how you're showing up to the rest of the world.

I'm excited to interact with you on Twitter so I'll see you there!

#6 2018-09-17 15:00:40

An Unseen Scene

Posting a selfie on Twitter for critique. Ouch!

#7 2018-09-18 05:40:31

Rivella

Looking at the pictures on twitter, you don't need an account, it seems that his target audience are people who struggle to even produce somewhat decent combinations of shirts and trousers. His advice is very relatable though, he has an eye for fashionable contemporary style while looking like a grown up. Shirt fit, trousers lengths and so on are good advice for these people. Sadly this seems like all you need these days. I'm suprised you find him helpful, judging from your MTM suit you dress far too well for any advice.

#8 2018-09-18 11:04:39

An Unseen Scene

Muscle fit shirts worn by people where they don't fit - a trend that has to go soon surely.

#9 2018-09-18 13:04:33

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#10 2018-09-18 16:50:09

An Unseen Scene

It will be interesting to see who gets their hair cut.

Day 2 makes me think what is my favourite clotjing item. Not sure thrre is one specifically.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2018-09-18 16:51:02)

#11 2018-09-20 06:42:53

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Well yesterdays was waffle about haircuts so I didn't bother posting it. Todays is about altering stuff. Which reminds me I have to take an overcoat to the alterations lady to get a button sewn back on.

Style is all about assumptions

It's about knowing the assumptions we and others make and then leveraging those assumptions through your appearance

But, as you already know, not every assumption proves true

And when we act as if it does, we can get into trouble

Here's a big assumption I see a lot of guys make when it comes to their style

"To look better I need to buy new clothes"

While improving your wardrobe often does involve adding some new pieces and getting rid of old ones,

It's not the only or even the most effective way of getting better

There are two other techniques that are quickly overlooked but often have much better results.

The first is getting clothes you already own tailored.

Maybe those jeans are just a hair too long or that shirt is a bit too full through the waist.

Rather than replacing them outright, you can get things like that altered at the tailor.

It's typically cheaper and less of a headache.

The second option is to wear what you have in a different way.

You'd be amazed at how much style can be added by cuffing some jeans, rolling up your sleeves, adding a layer, popping a collar, etc.

I've seen this while out shopping with clients.

I'll recommend an item they're on the fence about.

They'll try it on, come out of the dressing room, and feel awkward and uncomfortable.

Then I'll maybe undo another button, or roll something up, recommend they tuck/untuck it and

BAM it all of sudden looks better and feels authentic for them.

So here's today's challenge

If you have something that doesn't fit great and you want to keep, take it to a tailor.

That's the main priority

If you don't have anything that can be or needs to be tailored, then experiment with wearing what you already have in a different way.

Like the other days, post up photos and tag me on Twitter

I want to see what you're tailoring and how

Or before/after of how you'd normally wear something and the new way you're trying it.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

#12 2018-09-23 12:39:43

captainpreppy

Damned if I have a "favorite thing" in my wardrobe!

#13 2018-09-23 14:54:52

Beestonplace

My "favourite things" are navy suits and light blue shirts and not being noticed by others.

I LOVE , this foum

#14 2018-09-23 19:45:44

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#15 2018-09-23 22:57:55

Beestonplace

Because its cool to be discreet.

I LOVE , this foum

#16 2018-09-24 12:50:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#17 2018-09-24 13:32:43

Berkeley_Breathes

Just dropped off an armload of fall suits and jackets at the tailor, which felt great for my closet but not my wallet...

I don't think I have a favorite item in my wardrobe, but I know that I get a certain feeling from some things more than others, even if I would otherwise say I like them "equally"... And I do tend to wear those things more often...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#18 2018-09-24 14:03:55

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Well my favorite shoes are a pair of brown Lobbs, think the model is called Berkley. Favorite casual jacket is a linen/Gobigold sarfari by Caruso, not that I'd pair them together. Other than that I couldn't really pick out an item out of such a fabulous wardrobe, darlings.

#19 2018-09-26 16:11:25

captainpreppy

Board footer