You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-01 01:34:47

Yuca

Deteriorating sartorial norms?

Maybe this has come up before (on here and/or on other men's style forums), but I have noticed recently that men's dress standards have deteriorated dramatically. This became particularly apparent to me yesterday when I went to Buckingham Palace to receive an award for services to charity. (I'm not a royalist and I don't even believe in charity, however I am the CEO of one, for which I pay myself a generous salary, plus plenty of free trips overseas - generally to countries where the local young ladies are rather pleased to make my acquaintance - so it seemed wise to accept.)

I was a bit worried before attending that my outfit could be too informal, as I don't own a 3 piece suit and I wanted to wear my standard button down collar shirt. I wore a vintage grey Southwick sack suit, vintage white Brooks BD shirt, vintage Brooks foulard tie, plus some new C&J black captoes to add a bit of elegance.

On first entering the Palace Ballroom I did indeed seem a little underdressed, as the older gentlemen present were in formal morning wear, uniforms or suits. Some of the younger males were also in suits, although mostly tie-less, however others were dressed in a manner that I consider completely inappropriate. Not only were many wearing distressed jeans, but most of those jeans exposed at least 40% of the wearer's buttocks. This was exacerbated when some knelt to receive knighthoods (at least they were facing Her Majesty so she was spared the distressing sight).

Furthermore many were wearing t-shirts featuring images and/or writing that were often completely unsuitable for such an occasion e.g. one man with a t-shirt featuring a large photo of Moors murderer Myra Hindley, another with the C word in block capitals, etc etc.

However what I thought to be the most egregious outfit was from one gentlemen (who appeared to be in his 40s) who wore nothing more than a giant nappy. I appreciate that the onesie was very trendy a while ago so perhaps this is the inevitable next step, but still - is it really correct for this type of event? In fact I said to him (accompanied by a stern look): 'Do you really think that outfit is appropriate?' His response was: 'It's Prada, grandad', which the people he was with seemed to find rather amusing. (To be fair the giant nappy did have noticeable Prada branding on it.)

Am I being unreasonable?

some sort of banal legitimacy

#2 2018-04-01 02:27:02

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Re: Deteriorating sartorial norms?

No. I have often wondered if I'm the only person in the western world who actually takes the time out to go upto youths in the street, punch them in the face and tell them to pull their jeans up. Good to know someone else cares.

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2018-04-01 02:27:47)

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#3 2018-04-01 02:28:03

Beestonplace

Pics or it didn't happen

I LOVE , this foum

#4 2018-04-01 04:50:53

The Absintheist

Is it Sir Yuca now, or just Yuca OBE?

#5 2018-04-01 08:58:07

Berkeley_Breathes

This is genius

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#6 2018-04-01 10:31:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#7 2018-04-01 12:05:16

adorable homunculus

Why Yuca! I hadn't realised that you worked for Oxfam.

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#8 2018-04-01 13:31:09

Yuca

This was actually an April fool's joke. Apologies to all of you who assumed it was all true.

Many a true word spoken in jest they do say.

#9 2018-04-01 14:01:25

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Arise Sir Yuca ... you are a knight of this forum.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#10 2018-04-01 14:27:44

Yuca

And about time too.

#11 2018-04-01 16:03:14

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#12 2018-04-02 23:26:37

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#13 2019-03-31 18:04:54

Yuca

I can't surpass this so I might as well revive it.

#14 2019-03-31 18:32:07

Berkeley_Breathes

I was just thinking of this the other day. Still makes me laugh. It's Prada, grandad.

#15 2019-03-31 20:05:35

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#16 2019-04-01 06:43:07

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Yes this equality idea has distorted the society so much that things are really dysfunctional now. The democratization of things has left us with a pile of mediocrity for too many reasons to be stated here. Healthy societies were never meant to work that way.

#17 2019-04-01 06:44:56

The_Shooman
A pretty face

btw, it is exactly 1 year since this thread was started for April fools day.

#18 2019-04-01 07:56:52

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#19 2019-04-01 09:56:25

Patrick

Prada diaper. How gauche.

Now a J. Press diaper...

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#20 2019-04-01 10:23:51

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#21 2019-04-01 12:51:28

mhalat

I'd argue that the most creatively vibrant and alive times in, well, certainly modern history, coincided with times in which it was affordable, and even viable, for a working class kid to pick up an art school education, move to a large urban centre, and go nuts. In fact, many of the things I love most were created by people like this.

The French mathematician Gilles Chatelet argued in the 90s that the coarsening of our culture could largely be attributed to the growth of statistics in the past 150 years, and with them, the development of the construct of the 'average man'. First, as a mathematical construct via regression analysis etc, then as a social construct as technocracies grew and expanded in both public and private sector, especially post war.

Now, I'm a technocrat myself, but I think this is a pretty strong  argument......

#22 2019-04-01 15:53:52

Berkeley_Breathes

#23 2019-04-01 19:50:45

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Board footer