You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-15 23:36:10

The_Shooman
A pretty face

the 5 mistakes most men make in menswear

In my opinion the biggest mistake men make revolves around trousers. Few ever do it right, and numerous mistakes are made with trousers that make men look awful in clothes.

1). Obviously the biggest issue is shoes. Style and design is often mucked up, but it has gotten better in the last 12 years. 

2). Wearing socks that expose the calf, and wearing cheap socks. I never realised how bad it looked until l started wearing better socks.

The biggest mistake most men make - poor choice in TROUSERS

3). Wearing trousers on the hips. Since wearing my trousers up high l have started to notice how poorly dressed men look when wearing their trousers so low...big bodies and short legs. The higher trouser is certainly a much smarter look, but few clothes off the rack cater for such styles now. 

4). Wearing narrow legged trousers. It's a very trendy thing top do in menswear these days, but it makes men look feminine. Dreadful look.

5). Wearing cheap poorly cut trousers. A man can get away with a cheap coat and shirt, but rarely can he get away with skimping on trousers. So many poorly cut trousers made from cheap materials out there, it really shows.

One last thing.....whoever is designing off-the-rack clothes these days has no idea of style,especially when it comes to trousers.

What do you think, do you reckon l hit the nail on the head,or are there other things also?

regards,
Shooey.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2019-10-15 23:37:34)

#2 2019-10-16 00:22:58

RFS

Re: the 5 mistakes most men make in menswear

I agree with all points although on point 5 I think some relatively inexpensive trousers can be decently cut (as long as the wearer is of 'average' proportions). I'm thinking of those sold by Cordings for example which could be called 'traditional' in cut. That said - the trousers I have made do have a slightly higher waist than average & look the better for it.

If I had to pick, I'd place more importance on a well cut jacket than the trousers (within reason) but in many office environments jackets aren't worn so trousers take centre stage - perhaps your suggestion that it's better to skimp on jackets than trousers makes more sense.

A few of my male colleagues on Fridays wear what I image must be stretch denim trousers - great on women but not a stylish thing for men. 

As regards socks I've sadly not found that expensive ones last very much longer than cheap ones but they do generally feel nicer - the main thing is - whatever they cost they should be full length (over the calf) as you say.

Regards
RFS

#3 2019-10-16 10:18:14

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Pretty on the money for me Shoester. But don't you think thats a refection of the higher rise coming into fashion over the last couple of years?

The higher rise trousers mabe by The Armoury are pretty good for fit, for me anyway. Nice taper in the leg. Funnily emough the last pair I got I was having hemmed at the tailors and there was a guy having some alterations done to a shocking pair of trousers. Looked super cheap, terrible cut and cloth. I collected mine the following week and he was in the shop trying his pair on. TBH they looked just as crap.

I quite like the look of Cordings cords but would hate to end up with the dreaded "Elephant ear" pockets but will check them out when I'm in London next.

I bought a pair of Ambrosi last year. Fantastic OTR fit. Then I got two pairs made to measure at a Trunk show he did in the store. Amazing trousers, but at that price they should be I guess. He's back at the end of this month and I look forward to ordering a couple more pairs. The only problem with Ambrosi trousers is their fit and detailing so good it makes it hard to feel right in other stuff.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#4 2019-10-16 17:36:51

Patrick

Number three is a particularly widespread phenomenon -- especially for men with a prominent tummy. They have been sold on the idea that pleated pants are slimming, and they wear them on their hips, ie. under the overhanging tummy. This in turn causes the pleats to balloon, creating the unfortunate impression that the wearer is experiencing permanent priapism.

3 (b) is the same pants, worn on the hips, and thus too long in the legs, resulting on a puddle of fabric above the shoe.  In extreme cases, the hems/cuffs are ragged from being stepped on.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#5 2019-10-16 18:39:57

Berkeley_Breathes

I have to add shirt collars to this excellent list... Too big, dirty, malformed by the tie, etc... A well-fitting collar with a proportional tie knot works wonders...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#6 2019-10-17 06:13:14

Patrick

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#7 2019-10-17 08:51:03

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#8 2019-10-17 09:01:38

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#9 2019-10-17 13:59:46

Rivella

#10 2019-10-19 05:38:02

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#11 2019-10-19 18:15:22

Rivella

#12 2019-10-20 09:07:25

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#13 2019-10-27 17:35:13

captainpreppy

Agree with just about everything Shooey said. Particularly egregious is wearing very low cut trousers with a suit jacket. A former friend of my stepson was over one day a few years back. He was wearing a suit. It would have a been a pretty good ensemble except for the low-cut, hip-hugging trousers. They made the whole thing look like holy hell!

#14 2019-10-28 05:32:58

The_Shooman
A pretty face

when you think about it, it is the bottom half of a man's outfit that is usually a disaster. The trousers, socks and shoes are usually awful; far less men pay attention to the bottom half.

Board footer