You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-13 09:24:59

AFS

The Style Of Astrud Gilberto...

Almost astonished to see that this lady is now eighty two years old.  I guess she must have been just shy of her mid-twenties when she arrived in England. 
Man, I just love listening to her: that slightly fractured English she sang in.  I have a programme from 1966 - when she was doing her stuff with Stan Getz. 
I was once rather sniffy about that side of the 60s but, the older I get, the more it appeals to me.  There was a kind of charm (innocence?) that seems totally lacking today.  Anyone dig Jobim?  His contribution to jazz was said to have been important at the time.  Was it?

#2 2022-05-13 10:13:10

Ematt

Re: The Style Of Astrud Gilberto...

His stuff with Sinatra still gets played in this house..sublime.

#3 2022-05-13 10:18:24

AFS

^ I'm really pleased the work with Sinatra was mentioned here.  It was actually Blossom Dearie who made the claim. 
Just watched Astrud with Getz on YouTube: an odd, hesitant performance.  But she was young and inexperienced, I guess.

#4 2022-05-13 11:45:18

Tim

Big fan, you’ve summed up her vocals really nicely, such a pretty voice too, it really conjures up that Brazilia feel too somehow, blue seas, sandy beaches and nice looking women.

#5 2022-05-13 15:48:30

AFS

Was she well and truly ripped off by Getz?

#6 2022-05-14 00:21:16

AFS

Getz appears to have had an unsavoury reputation.  Upon hearing about Getz having heart surgery a fellow musician is alleged to have cracked 'You mean they put one in?'  The lady herself went public on the way she'd been mistreated by Getz and, by implication, the music industry in general. 
But all Tim says is true, every word of it.  Her legacy endures.

#7 2022-05-14 12:03:14

Runninggeez

Getz/Gilberto volume 2 live at Carnegie Hall is a great album IMO. BTW Getz broke up the marriage by having an affair with her, so you can say he was a bit of a ...........

#8 2022-05-15 14:39:49

AlveySinger

I like her recording with Stanley Turrentine on CTI.

Her voice though is akin to Aperol Spritz. Welcome in Summer but only in small amounts.

#9 2022-07-12 05:30:25

AFS

I didn't really get on with Sinatra and Jobim.  I have to be in the mood for Frank.  'It Was A Very Good Year' is a great favourite, played when I'm feeling especially melancholy.
But, as soon as the weather becomes hot, I think of Astrud.  And the 60s.  Yes, her voice was small and hesitant.  But that's okay by me. 
I really, really like the recordings with that 'nice bunch of guys' Getz.

Board footer