You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-02 05:55:36

AFS

Brooks Brothers 'Special Order'

A shirt on Ebay just caught my eye - labelled 'Special Order'.  Looks like a kind of minty green linen judging by the photograph (not 'Miles In Green Shirt' territory by any stretch of the imagination).  But I'm thinking of making an offer, simply to satisfy my curiosity.  I'll be interested of course to know where it's made.
Probably just a casual summer shirt.

#2 2022-07-02 05:59:47

AFS

Re: Brooks Brothers 'Special Order'

A bit more searching on Ebay brings up a few 'Special Order' shirts, plus some vintage advertising (1974).  Inexpensive shirts. 
I wonder if our friend Horace knows anything.

#3 2022-07-02 06:44:49

AFS

Details about the 'Special Order' line remain adrift (as t'were).  Even Frosty was sometimes at a loss, as with my Don Richards overcoat and Ram-Jet padded jacket (Chet and Wes Montgomery wore 'em, according to the blurb).

#4 2022-07-04 03:21:04

Horace

The MTM Brooks shirts up through I want to say early 2000’s had great selection of ‘heritage’Oxford cloth.  Don’t know more about the details but struck me as better than the RTW offerings.  Whether it was just my impression or not i don’t know.  Tag was just smaller Brooks Bros Makers without sizing on it. 

Wished I’d gotten more.

Last edited by Horace (2022-07-04 03:21:58)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2022-07-04 03:50:47

AFS

I have high hopes (possibly misplaced)...  The pink Makers I'm wearing at the moment seems pretty damn good; certainly better than a Troy Guild I acquired recently, with a collar almost as stiff as Frosty's penis upon beholding that Clive Barker lookalike drag artist snogging Norman Beaton's grandpa.

#6 2022-07-13 02:47:47

AFS

This Brooks 'Special Order' turns out to be nothing special.  Which is a shame as it could have been a decent shirt, made as it is from a lovely soft linen, with the feel of Ireland or Italy about it (probably just my imagination, working overtime).  The problem is (as with a Paul Stuart shirt I bought recently) the collar.  It had stiffeners, which I removed, and may soften with plenty of washing.  But it just seems completely wrong in the first place, neither fish nor fowl, unable to decide its purpose: dress or leisure.

Board footer