You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-01 09:54:00

AFS

'Hunt Club' Madras Shirts

These are pretty good shirts for the money.  I bought the first last year, from a seller in the USA - breaking a rule, really - and am wearing it as I type.  L/S, USA-made, pretty strong colours.  It won't bleed but plenty of washing ought to fade it.  Just bought a second, from someone here in the UK, for £8.99.  Again, USA-made and long-sleeved: more subtle in its colouring: blue and green. 
Now: a heresy: I don't really rate the John Simons popover I bought last year.  The fabric and pattern are okay but the sizing is peculiar.  Heaven knows what the M must be like (this bugger is XL!).

#2 2022-04-01 10:02:00

AFS

Re: 'Hunt Club' Madras Shirts

I think they have/had something to do with J.C.Penney.  Their clothing used to turn up in 'Wild' (Nottingham) about fifteen to seventeen years ago.

#3 2022-04-01 10:08:15

AFS

Certainly better than a Gant I had recently, which went to a charity shop.  Awful shirt as it turned out.

#4 2022-04-01 10:12:23

AFS

Only just off-topic: there used to be a lovely piece on Madras shirts on the original John Simons website, invoking Coltrane and travelling into Europe to hear live music: probably in the first half of the 1960s.  TRS would know.

#5 2022-04-01 10:30:56

Tworussellstreet

That was a piece written by JS recalling a trip to Juan Les Pins for the Jazz Festival in '62 I think it was. He recalled madras popovers being ubiquitous, and Zippo lighters, and the whole event was described as a magical moment, which I can well imagine it was!

#6 2022-04-01 11:44:44

AFS

'62 sounds spot on, TRS.  Thank you.  Fond memories.

#7 2022-04-02 00:12:52

AFS

Some might regard these as what JFM used to refer to as an 'entry level shirt'.  Balls.  Madras shirts ought to be cheap, cheerful and plentiful for summer - 'ubiquitous', in fact, as TRS, quoting The Guv'Nor, says above.  Those 'Bleeding Madras' offered by Ralph Lauren are not exactly honest but will do in a pinch, I suppose.  'Hunt Club' and the likes of Neil Martin are slightly more under the radar.

#8 2022-04-02 01:59:41

Kingston1an

‘Now: a heresy: I don't really rate the John Simons popover I bought last year.  The fabric and pattern are okay but the sizing is peculiar.  Heaven knows what the M must be like (this bugger is XL!).’

Yes. I have a couple from different years.Half sleeves which are slightly long. Not much room in the body and I am not carrying excess weight. In fact the shirt would be better as a straightforward full button shirt. The convenience of a polo shirt just isn’t there.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2022-04-02 02:37:46

RobbieB

I have a few popover shirts in Madras. When I was trim they looked ok but I still found them a hassle to put on and take off. Now I've started to develop a paunch they are not so good looking. Don't think I will be buying anymore in a hurry. I also prefer a polo shirt nowadays.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2022-07-13 05:04:13

AFS

Re Ralph Lauren 'Bleeding Madras'...  is this a little like the fish and chip shop offering bread and 'butter'?  I mean, the buggers are never going to bleed (or even fade in a big hurry), are they?  Or am I missing something?
There was a Madras shirt in the window of a local charity shop this a.m.  I was only mildly curious.

#11 2022-07-13 05:09:02

AFS

Glad I bought a third Hunt Club (here in the UK).  A few are available in the USA; nothing more (on Ebay).

Board footer