You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-26 01:59:44

Tworussellstreet

Miami Vice Ivy

Don't laugh. You know what I mean. At this time of year I find my wardrobe choices getting all kind of Don Johnson-ish. It's slouchy, slacky, sloppy - crumpled linens and cottons, no socks, a bit of a tan, highlights in the hair (if I had any). J.Keydge, that most revered of recent developments in the Ivy Look, rather lead the way in this direction. Ivy was always treading a fine line between smart and casual and the Keydge thing took the shoulder out of the shoulder line and made modern Ivy much sloppier and softer than 1960s versions of the look. It's a style the 60s originals like Kingstonian recoil from, but I have to say I'm all over this look - a bit of stubble, perhaps a T-shirt worn with a Keydge, rolled up khakis, white Vans or Sperry boat shoes. Just need to save up for that speedboat to complete the look.

#2 2022-07-26 02:39:31

Kingston1an

Re: Miami Vice Ivy

Rolled up jacket sleeves?

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2022-07-26 04:17:14

RobbieB

When the sun comes out I like to listen to the Beach Boys early music and recently I've been thinking more along the lines of oversized Pendleton blue plaid shirt over white t shirt with ecru, off white or light jeans etc.
Unfortunately I haven't got the Pendleton yet and they don't come cheap

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2022-07-26 04:56:36

Staxfan

'I've been thinking more along the lines of oversized Pendleton blue plaid shirt' ,
Rob, it'd be a bit warm for the daytime, but ideal sitting around that fire on the beach made from driftwood after dark,( you can do this in Southend I'm sure !), I luckily picked one up at Chiltern St 3 years or so ago in the sale for £100,( muted blue plain), I like it , but get sideways looks from the Mrs when I wear it, there's a few popped up on Maarkt, they come up big'ish,

#5 2022-07-26 04:58:30

Staxfan

should read muted blue plaid.....

#6 2022-07-26 07:17:55

Spendthrift

I pretty much switch to a look similar to the one 2RS describes there every spring.
Maybe Miami Vice Ivy is a bit harsh, but definitely leaning much more 80’s prep or good summer french ivy? That pastel polo/rolled up khakis or white jeans/boat shoes or cvo thing. No socks. Cotton jacket.

I’m not sure I could ever convincingly do the more trad summer chino/ocbd/blue blazer combo. There’s just no area of my life where it would be appropriate to dress like that.

Miami vice pleats do seem to feature quite heavily in the East Asian interpretation of Ivy. Mind you, they’re also quite big on combat and fatigue pants.

#7 2022-07-26 07:32:37

RobbieB

Stax-I agree that the Pendleton is a bit much with summer temperatures but I was thinking late summer/early autumn. That's when I sometimes wear a Harrington. It's an item of clothing that I could wear in UK or Finland.I was thinking of getting a large but from what you say maybe a medium would be ok. I know the Beach Boys always wore their ones on the large size. They seem to do a slim fit version these days but I prefer the original. I'll keep an eye on the Marrkt site. Thanks
The beach along from Southend has been full of people using those barbeque kits this summer. There have been some beach parties at Chalkwell but I'm 50 years too late for that. Not for me but I might build a fire pit by the lake in Finland.
My missus might well give me sideways looks but I'm hoping that if I stray into Finnish lumberjack looking style she might give me looks of admiration. HaHa.

#8 2022-07-26 13:11:45

AlveySinger

2RS,
The look you describe is still a hell of a lot smarter than the average British male at this time of year.
When the sun comes out so common sense goes out of the window.
Denim shorts make no sense to me and when did grey become a Summer colour.
Polo do summer better than most. Great colour combinations, weather worn, multi-layered. The mix of linen, cotton, madras checks and seersucker.

#9 2022-07-27 05:32:23

Tworussellstreet

Kingstonian asks if I roll up my sleeves a la Don Johnson - of course I do! It's a key part of the look, getting that tropical air wafting up to your hairy armpits. Keydge/linen positively invites the roll-up. Proper tailoring really has no place in this beachy, slouchy way of dressing. Embrace it Kingy - get loose! They'll love it in Wetherspoons.

#10 2022-07-27 05:54:29

Kingston1an

I have had the sleeves adjusted on the beige cotton Keydge. So they are just the right length. No need to roll them up. Not that rolling them up would help ventilation.

Safari jacket is more versatile. The Alan Whicker/White Hunter associations may not suit. Decent pockets though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#11 2022-07-27 06:04:58

Kingston1an

I wore the Keydge yesterday in Leatherhead Spoons with a pink button down. Sleeves unrolled. Young’s Special £1.99.

This after the three pubs of affluent Ashtead. The Woodman was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday lunchtime. Decent pint of Taylor’s Landlord and inexpensive food (Ember Inns).

#12 2022-07-27 11:57:21

RobbieB

I dug out a Pendleton shirt I forgot I had. Made in USA 100% very, very fine wool BD shirt with no back pleat in a black/grey, white maroon overcheck St. Pirans Cornish plaid. Worn over grey t shirt with a silver necklace, giving a touch of ostentation. Pale blue Lee jeans with maroon Anderson belt and a made in USA pair of New Balance trainers in blue, maroon and white. I wore the trainer's because I was doing a promenade walk along the estuary. As a reward for my walk I ended up in the Mayflower pub for a crafty pint or two and negated the purpose of the walk.

#13 2022-07-29 15:18:56

plastic palm tree

Mayflower is such a lovely pub RobbieB - your are lucky to have it as a local.  I try to get up that way once a year for the estuary walk or a beach day.  Can get from Crouch Hill to Thames Estuary in under an hour changing trains at Barking.

#14 2022-07-29 15:40:33

RobbieB

PPT- The Mayflower is currently my favourite out of the four pubs in the 'Old Town'. It does a decent fish and chips as well as having a reasonable selection of beers on offer. I like sitting outside the 'Crocked Billet' as well and there you can get good seafood, particularly the cockles.
Most locals I know tend to stay up in Broadway where it's a bit cheaper, depending on where you go.

#15 2022-07-30 01:44:13

Kingston1an

Is Thames Estuary the same as Rotherhithe?

Mayflower in Rotherhithe is a good pub.

#16 2022-07-30 09:37:31

RobbieB

I suppose the Thames Estuary covers Rotherhithe and anywhere along the river that is tidal. I tend to think of it as downstream of the Thames Barrier these days. When my family lived Silvertown way I only remember them calling the Thames 'the river' and we were always wary of 'going south of the river '.

#17 2022-07-30 09:39:16

RobbieB

I got married round the corner from the Mayflower Rotherhithe. I ventured south of the river and have paid for it ever since. HaHa

#18 2022-07-31 02:21:20

Tworussellstreet

Get your boozers out of my Miami Vice post. This area is all about cocktails, moquitos, Bacardi, Club Tropicana etc... not frothy pints of warm ale, beer mats and sticky floors.

#19 2022-07-31 14:35:42

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Is my Campari Soda fine? Chuckle

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#20 2022-08-14 01:41:55

RobbieB

Pendleton have emailed me that the Beach Boy shirt is now available in my size. At £215 notes I think I will give it a miss. Also not clear if shirt is made ln USA or if it is the slim fit version which I don't want. Also noted that Vans do a beach shoe in a similar check in collaboration with Pendleton. I'm tempted.I can't surf and I'm well dodgy on a paddle board although I own a board

Board footer