You are not logged in.

#51 2022-09-13 01:52:33

Tworussellstreet

Re: Sweet Georgie Fame

Ah dear old Wayne - the sad old git is a bit on the simple side I think, and should be treated with pity rather than anger. I've crossed swords with him now and again and it's like debating with a toddler. And Georgie is just fantastic, the real deal, a genuine hipster, in stark contrast with talentless Wayne with his alcoholic's nose and silly range of hats. Georgie's written tons of songs, some rather good, but he's musically savvy enough to understand he's got nothing in his kit bag that can touch 'Moody's Mood For Love', 'Get On The Right Track Baby', 'Yeah Yeah', and all the other classics he plays. His singing voice is rich and expressive, keyboard skills superb, and as a bandleader, assembling the very best players, he is a modern day Basie. As the old 60's mod (not Wayne!) shouted out the last time I saw Mr. Powell at Ronnie's "Sock it to 'em Georgie!"

#52 2022-09-13 02:16:11

RobbieB

I have a several relatives who are the same age as Wayne and followed a similar path of being born in the East End, then moving to Essex. Original mods, with clothes and music still important to them. The first thing they would say to Wayne (and they have said it to me) is 'get a shave'.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#53 2022-09-13 02:18:06

RobbieB

And those same cousins rate Georgie Fame highly

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#54 2022-09-13 02:30:13

Tworussellstreet

Never seen Georgie with a whisker near his chin. Old school.

#55 2022-09-13 03:09:56

FlatSixC

Tim - ‘ it’s high time someone reminded him of his own musical career.’

https://youtu.be/DzIyGwmAhCI

That video is pure comedy. Walk around a bit, stop and stare at the camera expressionless -  to allow the viewer time to absorb how cool him and his costumed chums are. But they look rediculous.

Does anyone know who the little chap in the hat is, who is always struggling to keep up with the others in the video? I’ve often seen him in Soho. So often that I have the impression that he must spend his whole time walking round and round that small area in order to show off what he’s wearing that day. It’s always the same formula; the frock coat, wide brimmed hat, dark glasses, top to toe in a range of lurid bright pastel colours that would rival our recently departed queen on one of her state visits to the West Indies.

#56 2022-09-13 03:29:10

Spendthrift

They're certainly keen to show us all how cool we can never be.

Unfortunately, as soon as you're referred to as 'the little chap in the hat' it all falls away a bit doesn't it.

#57 2022-09-13 03:52:50

Runninggeez

FlatSixC : Does anyone know who the little chap in the hat is, who is always struggling to keep up with the others in the video?

Soho George, apparently.

@Alvey : Regarding Morrissey/Mullen yes saw them plenty on the Home Counties jazz circuit, they were also nearly always the support act for any of the big Jazz, Funk & Soul acts that played the Hammersmith Odeon. They were always great value. Their album Cape Wrath was my introduction to them.

#58 2022-09-20 14:43:36

AlveySinger

Here is the mystery of the day.

Why can you pick up so many great Georgie Fame albums for peanuts.

Since seeing the great man I have indulged in stocking up. Added to the collection are Cool Cat Blues featuring Moon Dance, a double live Ronnie Scott and a superb Danish Big band album called Endangered Species featuring the amazing  swinger I still care about you and Little Samba

I don’t think I’ve spent £20 on the lot

#59 2022-09-20 21:01:04

Dulouz

Saw him at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom in the late 90s. It was a Christmas gig with other bands on, by far, his was the best.

Board footer