You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-05 06:54:12

AlveySinger

SUMMER READING

As the Summer holiday season is now in full swing I was wondering if anyone can recommend some pool side reads.

In the pile so far are the latest Vinyl Detective book,  the new Anthony Horowitz Bond book and I've ordered Hard Bop by Rosenthal.

#2 2022-08-06 03:24:55

Staxfan

Re: SUMMER READING

Alvey - I've had them a couple of years now as I'm only an 'on-the-beach' type of reader, but a 3 book series by Ray Celestin,
Axemans Jazz ( set in New Orleans 1919),
Dead Mans Blues ( set in Chicago 1928),
The Mobsters Lament ( New York 1947), - saving this for (another) 10 days in Portugal in September,
Plenty of music, murder, gangsters etc, easy reading,
My Daughter bought me a small book, ( just 135 pages), you might know it , but -  Sam Selvon ,  'The Lonely Londoners', about Caribbean immigrants in London in the early 50's, good read, hope maybe this helps a little !

#3 2022-08-08 05:29:37

AlveySinger

^Stax
Thanks for the recommendation.
Funnily enough I read the first book earlier in the year.
It was a gift from my daughter who saw Jazz in the title and thought I'd be tempted.
I really enjoyed it and for the life of me can't remember why I didn't get the others.
There's also a fourth volume now.

#4 2022-12-30 12:36:17

Staxfan

Not summer reading but I got 3 books for Christmas,
‘The Desired Article ‘ - J.L.Disley - I’ve read about 50%, tbh nothing much that was new to me, probably same for most on here,

Charlie’s Good Tonight - the Charlie Watts biography, 40 or so pages in and all good, I didn’t know Lenny Peters of Peters & Lee fame ( Robbie will know of them from the distant past), was Charlie’s cousin, according to Charlie’s sister he was the only blind person she knew who could hang wallpaper!

Sunset Swing - Ray Celestin- book 4 in the City Blues quartet, should keep me occupied on my flight to SE Asia in a couple of weeks, so not summer reading but warm weather reading,

#5 2022-12-31 07:07:18

RobbieB

'Eleanor Oliphant is completely free' by Gail Honeyman. Book of the year 2018. A book recommended by a mate that writes. An easy read, which is what I look for these days, when I've only just started to read novels again.

'The double Comfort Safari Club' by Alexander McCall Smith.
A book I first read about 20 years ago. Another lightweight read set in Botswana. The main character drinks Redbush tea all the time (a bit like me).

Stax- I remember Peters & Lee and I can do a good rendition of 'Welcome Home' . Back then we thought he lost his eyesight because of a run in with an East End gangster. Must have been an urban myth.

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-12-31 07:09:04)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#6 2023-01-04 08:22:53

Kingston1an

Jack Reacher is reliable. Just finished 'No Plan B'.

He pitchs up in a small town and immediately runs into trouble. He inevitably has to beat some people up but there are only three or four of them so that's no problem.

He is the antidote to clothing forums as he only has the clothes stands up in which he throws away when they need washing and buys new stuff.

Not much of a life but apparently it suits him.

Also read 'May at 10' by Seldon. A step by step account of how useless she was over 600 plus pages. Not so much a Machiavellian schemer as an insecure, secretive type with no interpersonal skills who only trusted a small number of individuals.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-01-04 08:23:41)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2023-01-04 09:02:15

FlatSixC

Not Ivy at all, but reflective of my preference for historical or autobiographical material.

Autobiography of the British Soldier - ‘from Agincourt to Basra in his own words’. Letters and descriptions from the battlefield provided by the men (and occasionally women dressed as men) of the British Army. The early accounts are interesting but often written in very old fashioned language that is difficult to understand. Most of this written by noblemen as ordinary soldiers were almost invariably illiterate. The later stuff from the American War of Independence onwards is written by grunts and is more descriptive and hard hitting. When you look at the news and see some of the stuff people are moaning about presently, the stories of what people have gone through in wars tend put it all into perspective. A good book for dipping in and out of.

A Christmas present, yet to be tackled, is The Last Days of T.E. Lawrence - ‘A Leaf in the Wind’. This covers the period from when Lawrence of Arabia retired from the R.A.F., in which he had enlisted some years before as an ordinary airman in order to escape constant press harassment, to the moment a few weeks later when he was killed in a motorcycle accident at the age of 46.

Board footer