You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-12 03:22:18

Tworussellstreet

Chelsea boots

They're not Ivy are they? But I think I like them, and I've just seen a lovely pair I can afford that I think I could enjoy the way I might enjoy a leather chukka or desert boot. Is that sleek toe shape a no-no, is the elasticated side a bit kinky? All feedback welcome. I need advice.

#2 2023-01-12 04:40:52

Staxfan

Re: Chelsea boots

For what it's worth, I'd agree they're not Ivy, but a good pair (RM Williams ?), are a thing of beauty, but please only brown leather or suede, however they are a no-no with chinos, (IMO), but look good with jeans, cord 5 pockets, I bought a pair of Astorflex leather chukka/db's from 46CS just over a year ago, dainite sole, I've been very pleased with them, they look different to the suede Astorflex but work well in the current sloshy weather, go for it TRS !

#3 2023-01-12 06:45:25

AlveySinger

Have worn Chelsea boots for a number of years.

I've found that the more tailored/chiselled the last the more versatile they are.

The rounder more bulbous toe box tends to look more like farmers boots.

I have a lovely old chocolate suede pair from Crocketts that look great with jeans or flannels.

You often see pictures of Jerry Lauren in Chelsea boots, grey flannels and an old herringbone sports jacket with bellows pockets and elbow patches.

#4 2023-01-12 12:02:49

Kingston1an

I came back from Australia with one of those wide brim hats only suitable for wearing in the garden, unless you choose to grow a beard and dress in the style of Terry Pratchett.

I did not consider RM Williams at the time. I subsequently bought a pair in New Bond Street. The wholecut upper was a big selling point. I cannot look at other boots without seeing the join , usually below the elastic and rejecting them on account of it. RM Williams are very comfortable once you have them on but you do need a shoehorn so not ideal for airports.

They are not Ivy but they do go with plenty of clothing.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2023-01-12 13:23:07

colin
Bright Light

Just say no!

#6 2023-01-12 19:01:10

Dulouz

Always associated them with The Beatles. Never had a pair, have considered the C&J's version. But I've concern that the elastic on the knuckle might go and how to fix that?

#7 2023-01-13 02:39:36

FlatSixC

I’m sure that the elastics could be replaced by a competent shoe repairer.

I’ve never tried Chelsea boots and don’t have any real inclination to. Probably for the same reason that I rarely wear loafers now, I find that I prefer the security and range of fitting that you get with a lace-up shoe or boot.

#8 2023-01-13 03:32:08

Spendthrift

I had a go at chelsea boots back around late 80's/early 90's. Pretty sure I would have put them with orange tab Levis, roll neck, a brown trucker and one of those John Lennon corduroy caps. In an instant I went from modern mod (if there can be such a thing) to looking like I was on my way to a poorly informed swingin' sixties fancy dress party.

They weren't for me then, but being me they went back in the box and moved house with me several times until I recently discovered them in the loft. Not for me now either. If you're used to loafers/db's/CVO or even longwings, looking down at them gives the illusion of them being around a meter long.

There probaby are better lasts than mine, and I can kind of see light brown or suede with denim and a decent knit.Some of those continental guys you see on IG wear them quite well.  Still not sure if they're ivy though?

They're still around, so everyone must be right. They must have earned their place among 'the classics' by now.  But in the real world I only ever notice them with skinny black jeans ala Russell Brand or John Cooper Clarke

#9 2023-01-13 03:36:53

RobbieB

I've been looking for some years for a decent pair of Chelsea boots. I want to replicate the riding boots I bought from a riding shop in 1968 when I was into a pre Ivy look. It's been difficult for me to find the right shaped toe. One problem is that back then I was a size 7 and now I am a size 10 . The search continues.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

Board footer