You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-08 08:30:48

AlveySinger

HERE COMES SUMMER....

At 4.30pm the sun yesterday was still bright. Daylight hours are increasing. No doubt a number of the clothes-buying obsessives on here are starting to weighing up what needs to be replaced or purchased for the warmer months.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with the JSA madras this year as I'm not a fan of the larger collar size. Pendleton on Ebay will be my way to go.

I like the idea of a navy cotton suit. Smart but not too formal. And a Smedley in royal blue possibly.

Reyn Spooner have some nice swim shorts too.

So what's on your list....

#2 2023-02-08 12:08:56

Kingston1an

Re: HERE COMES SUMMER....

The fit on the John Simons Madras was strange. Very long arms on one half sleeve.  Popovers are right out. Standard shirts are much easier to deal with.

No targets. I have enough kit. Saw a nice pair of Crockett and Jones Pembroke in tan grain leather. Not a long wing but I like them
; prefer a dark tan grain though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2023-02-08 15:36:14

Tim

Tried the C&J Harvard in brown grain yesterday on Jermyn Street. Might just be me but I thought the quality had slipped radically from the C&J I used to know. I’ll save for the Alden version instead, it’s a slightly nicer shape anyway. I’ve half a dozen madras shirts, one more would be nice. Trousers are always on my hit-list, I’d like to get into my FOB Bedford cords before I commit to anything else. Maybe some pocket t’s could be an interesting addition, if I can lose enough weight so they don’t look entirely stupid.

#4 2023-02-08 20:25:28

Dulouz

Always consider February the most deceptive of months, you start to think spring is on the way, then you can have wintery weather up until the start of May. By the middle to the end of March, start changing the wardrobe ready for the summer. But sometimes I regret that, as I've done it a month to six weeks too early.

One of the RL madras shirts I bought last month, I wore on Tuesday. It's a green white and other colours plaid with a chest pocket. Had a white crew neck t-shirt on and whilst really a summer shirt, looked good with dark brown chinos and quarter zipped navy jumper.

One thing for sure, if we have a good summer or short heat wave, like last year, I won't be imbibing the daily kool-aid climate hysteria from the MSM. Telling us that we should be cowering in fear and then you go outside and think, wow what a fantastic summer day! Like TSC's Long Hot Summer, I should be frolicking about!

#5 2023-02-09 03:55:21

Staxfan

Like most of us I've got enough of everything, but the warmer months always make me think I need 1 or 2 new summer shirts just to brighten up my wardrobe and at the stage of life I'm at I'm taking more holidays so they get worn, I could also do with brightening up my shorts collection, OK on the bermuda shorts as I bought 2 pairs of RL last summer, ( madras & seersucker), and as always on the lookout for lightweight chinos that fit, the pocket t's (white & grey), I bought from Uniqlo recently will get some good wear, wish they had some better colours available, No JS madras for me,

#6 2023-02-09 07:25:25

AlveySinger

Tim

Really interesting to hear about C&J Harvard.

I have a pair of Bostons (the lined version of Harvard) in dark suede and they have been superb. The lining makes them a bit sturdier.

I also purchased a pair of the dark suede unlined Alden. In truth, I wish I would have gone with the lighter Snuff suede. Being unlined they are more of a high summer and holiday shoe and the dark brown gives it a heavier look.

Somewhere online you'll find a great review of both shoes.

I love both shoes but find the C&J last a bit more tailored than the Alden but the Alden a bit more casual.

Good hunting!

#7 2023-02-09 23:55:47

Tim

Alvey - I found myself on Jermyn Street (mostly because I needed a new shaving brush and have always used Trumper for that sort of thing..) and went into one of the C&J stores there. Their snuff suede version was ok but the grain were very disappointing - on the display model there was loose stitching around the toe box, the leather colour for a cm below the strap was a different colour to the rest of the shoe and there were what I call furries - IE loose threads that hang out all over the shop. That’s on a display model! I looked at a pair of bass elsewhere out of bone idle curiosity and they were better made in my ever so humble!

#8 2023-02-10 10:25:35

AlveySinger

Tim,

Wow, that sounds really bad considering they were the display models. No wonder you weren't impressed.

I'm a lover of Jermyn Street too - Floris for me. I enjoy looking at New and Lingwood too. Not Ivy but interesting.

#9 2023-02-16 18:54:01

Dulouz

^You can't go wrong with Floris No.89 and Elite. Now that Penhaligon's has gone insanely expensive or unisex and perfume based in the more cost effective ranges.

Discarding the now decadently half-a-grand for a shirt T&A, New & Lingwood makes a lot of sense.

#10 2023-02-17 05:18:10

AlveySinger

I have just discovered Elite. Really pleased with it. It reminds me of Tuscany by Aramis.

For Penhaligons I go to their outlet at Bicester Village when they have a sale. I have tried about 8 or 9 different options and must admit I find them only OK.

I really like the Royall range of fragrances that Brooks used to sell. I buy them online now

#11 2023-02-20 05:49:39

Kingston1an

Floris 89 did not make me like James Bond, not did the nylon watch straps though they were cheap at least.

The cheese shop is more my type of thing.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#12 2023-02-21 17:00:44

Dulouz

They buried my father yesterday, can't say I much recognized his love of cats, bed time stories and attendance of his kids recitals from his eulogies. Being the offspring of his ex-wife and somewhat estranged, I just attended the livestream. It was interesting to pick out faces and how people have aged...badly.

My father liked Floris No.89 and I remember thinking it was old fashioned, boring. Now I think it's pretty classic. Reassuring even. But I guess that time has gone now. Once Bowie died, it was like, shit, my parents generation are starting to age and go out.

Had one of the bold plaid madras shirts I got from RL last Friday. Summer texture, but I thought let's wear it now. A Spanish lady I know in the office building was straight up to me and said I looked great in it and why didn't I wear such shirts as normal as I really suited the colours and boldness. Well, she might have been taking the piss, but I did think I looked good and the missus had said something similar the other week.

Feel like I need to be blasting a bit of colour into the long march into spring and summer.

#13 2023-02-22 03:29:37

Kingston1an

Dulouz,

Condolences on the death of your father.

#14 2023-02-22 18:30:50

Dulouz

Thanks, Kingy.

#15 2023-02-23 00:20:40

Tim

I’d like to repeat Kingy’s sentiment and offer my condolences also. It’s amazing how evocative smells can be, Badedas bath gelee sends me back into a tub with my father circa me being three or four years old. He was a Creed Selection Vert man though, so that’s something I may not ever smell again.

#16 2023-04-06 06:54:22

AlveySinger

So revisiting this thread I noticed that I wasn't intending to buy any JS madras shirts. Well that didn't work out and I've just picked up a madras and seersucker.

Now the clocks have gone forwards and the first bank holiday is near what's out there that tempting you?

#17 2023-04-06 09:51:40

Tim

I'm regretting not buying the Chico madras from JS. I've had some bad news financially though (nothing major, just a blip), so most frivolous(!) purchases are ruled out for the next few weeks at least until I get on a more even keel again and I suspect they'll be sold out by then. I've plenty of summer stuff to keep me going though, I can't complain too much, recent purchases beyond the two Madras were a couple of Lacoste polos in the sale, navy and dark green respectively. I also discovered a couple of John Smedley polos in storage that I'd forgotten about, that's always nice, new clothes without having to buy them.
Delighted also with the two pairs of Levi's 511 cords I picked up for nothing, in off-white, they're thin enough to probably be worn well into the summer beyond the non-spring we're having here in Ireland.

Other things that are currently tempting me are the camp-collar Gitman/Kahala collaborations (the blue in particular) and a couple of similar shirts that les Flaneurs in Rennes have done with Indian clothing brand Kardo.

#18 2023-04-06 10:41:45

RobbieB

I missed out on the linen suits last year. I fancy myself wearing linen suits in the summer. Not sure the three colours on offer at JS fit the bill, however. I'm currently in Finland and a linen suit would not be appropriate here but back in Leigh on Sea I can see myself strolling along the estuary suited up.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#19 2023-04-06 11:43:23

Staxfan

I’ve found a couple of Gitmans on a US site, blue strip 1/2 sleeve b/d, and a camp collard jacquered blue check, both s/s 2022,you won’t find these anywhere else, sale prices are ok’ish, but add shipping, UK vat/duty and terrible exchange rate makes them expensive, So, I’m weighing up whether to make a cheeky offer ..... don’t ask don’t get.... if I could get them all in for £ 150 each I’d be happy !

#20 2023-04-08 06:33:43

Jdemy

I haven’t worn a modern Brooks Brothers piece of clothing in years- but the linen shirts I make an exception for. Maybe the lack of construction mimics the older clothes…?

#21 2023-04-13 19:51:47

Dulouz

Lots of good madras shirt options about at the moment. From RL to Drakes, J.Simons and beyond.

Having to cancel my early holiday this year again. Missus won't be pleased, but I need to tell her in the next day or two. Tough, testing times at work that just go on and on.

I'll be mixing polos and madras when the weather heats up. If I go to any concerts or festivals, it'll be Buzz Rickson's t-shirts with various chore jackets.

#22 2023-04-16 11:20:43

plastic palm tree

Speaking of summer, anyone have any recommendations for chino shorts?  Seems impossible to find any that aren't pleated, slim fit or elasticated.

#23 2023-04-17 02:46:25

Staxfan

Uniqlo Chino Shorts , 100% cotton regular fit, ( £24.90), I bought a pair in Penang in January, but be careful with the colours, the green looks a bit iffy to me, I bought navy but they are a really dark navy almost black, the off-white is sort of see-through, the beige is a good colour and of course an Ivy staple !

#24 2023-04-17 07:00:21

AlveySinger

^PPT

LL bean Signature look interesting. Everything I've purchased from them has been very good quality - regardless of country of origin.

Best shorts I've had recently were from BB. Quality and fit very good.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Polo patch madras shorts. Worth hunting around for at factory outlets rather than paying full price for. Very comfortable and look great with a navy polo shirt and Sperrys

#25 2023-04-18 04:01:38

plastic palm tree

Thanks both.  Staxfan I'll have a look - was put off by the drawstring on website.

Alveysinger will check out BB.  Patch madras a bit much for me but I'm a big fan of the RL madras shorts, have four pairs all bought cheap NWT on eBay.  Also rock with polo shirt and CVOs.

Board footer