You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-19 02:44:50

FlatSixC

8405-99-977-0514 size 80/88/104

That’s the NATO stock number and size I take in British Army - Trouser, Mans, Lightweight, Olive. Having joined the ranks of the retired a few weeks ago they form part of my day to wear for home, garden and garage; coupled with a navy polo shirt and vintage Champion college sweatshirt. A 60/40 parka and more layers on top if it’s chilly. I have sufficient of each to keep me going for years.

The smart clobber is now only put on for trips into London and our local town, nights out and social engagements. I can’t see actually me wearing any of it out to the point where it needs replacement any time soon.

Which brings me back to British Army - Trouser, Mans, Lightweight, Olive.
I love these, they have a high waist, tapered leg and comfortable cut. They are extremely durable and when you get them dirty they come out of the wash as good as new. But it’s becoming a job to get hold of this stuff now, the reason being, another regrettable development in the changing retail landscape; the decline of the military surplus store.

Every town used to have an army surplus shop, normally in the cheap part of the high street, but they are virtually all gone, have you noticed? One of those things that have just disappeared without anyone really noticing. In my early teens I loved those places, when you went in there was a distinct smell formed of canvas and leather boots and a whole of range of metal and rubber military equipment. Those shops were full of mystery and interesting items waiting to be discovered in haphazard piles, all at bargain prices. In the school years we used to go to the surplus store to buy gear for camping and moorland expeditions. Later we went in for combat jackets, reefer jackets and Civil Defence greatcoats to wear on the scooter, all of which could be guaranteed to serve you well.

But these places are disappearing fast. People don’t want to be seen out walking the dog in a camo jacket. Because Western countries no long maintain large standing armed forces there is no longer the glut of surplus military equipment that was around during the Cold War. In the few remaining surplus stores the deficit is made up with kit from Eastern Europe or cheap copies by companies like Brandit and Alpha Industries.

Soon they’ll all be gone, I’m just pleased I laid in a good stock of US Army underpants.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-04-19 02:46:14)

#2 2023-04-19 04:22:01

RobbieB

Re: 8405-99-977-0514 size 80/88/104

The local Army and Navy store near to me in West cliff is closing/closed down as the owner is retiring. I expect the shop will be replaced by flats. I sometimes looked in the window but never ventured in. When I was a teenager we always shopped in the A & N store Dagenham. I think that one is still open.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2023-04-19 04:26:28

RobbieB

A quick Google check and I found the A &N store Dagenham closed years ago

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2023-04-19 19:04:27

Dulouz

They were always places you could get donkey jackets or the West German green overshirt jackets.

I'm a big fan of olive green chino pants. Seem to work magnificently with any kind of white, or even dark coloured shirts.

#5 2023-04-22 11:34:57

Kingston1an

The remaining army surplus stores are smarter and more expensive now.

Ranger Hut opposite the Corrie and Silverman's for example.

The junk shop-style ones have gone, though one remains just past Kew Bridge.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

Board footer