You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-03 16:47:19

FlatSixC

Ask Andy Gilchrist

It is reported from various sources that Andy Gilchrist, the founder of the trad forum Ask Andy About Clothes, has passed away in the last few days. Sad news as he was a leading light at the start of the mens clothing forum movement and responsible for spreading a lot of knowledge on the subject of traditional American and Ivy clothing.

#2 2023-06-04 15:08:17

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: Ask Andy Gilchrist

So many people have passed away this year, and some include Kabbaz, and now Andy. The old professor (moderator at AAAC) hasn't posted in years either, so l suspect he may have also passed away. McArthur is long gone as is KitonBrioni. AAAC has been around for over 20 years; many blokes who were solid middle age or older will be long in the tooth. One bloke Journeyman wasn't too old, but we've heard no peep out of him anywhere for an entire year; we feel he may have gone too. Ole Dr Jan is still around but he rarely posts anymore...he's much older now (80s) and couldn't be bothered anymore.

I think Andy would have been in his mid 80's. I hope his forum keeps preserved; sure it had loads of silly stuff, but it also contained gems from its golden era. The problem is, it is a wasteland now, so who would buy it.

R.I.P Andy.

#3 2023-06-05 06:07:57

oxford cloth button down

Andy had sold AAAC back in 2021 to Vericalscope. He remained on as a consultant. Andy and I had a few funny exchanges. He will be missed.

#4 2023-06-05 08:22:16

Sammy Ambrose

RIP Andy. Sad news. I had an email exchange with him about  15 years ago and he came across as a nice guy.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#5 2023-06-06 18:07:23

Dulouz

He had a very good looking wife as I remember.

The age of the sartorial forums is over. We were there and lived it. Satisfied that I contributed. But it's all over.

#6 2023-06-07 01:45:16

The_Shooman
A pretty face

^^^

yep, it is all done and dusted. It's all decayed remains now, only a shadow of its former self. The old days (2003 - 2004) was the most fun; the internet was reasonably new and the online format was worked out in such a way that average people could now navigate it without too much trouble. We went from a world where everyone was isolated to a world overnight where everyone joined together and shared knowledge, it was such an exciting time, and many become addicted to reading the posts despite many posts being inane by today's standards. Then came 2005 and 2006 when some really good posters came and the forums gained much better knowledge, and it went into 2007 and maybe 2008. Those were good years, and there was some enjoyable knowledgeable posts to be read and learned from. After that, all the fakes (along with laggards) arrived purporting to be experts, but these copycats regurgitated group think because they wanted the glory and respect   of the early years pioneers, but these late comers knew little and their posts weren't original (fake experts). These days you could be the greatest expert and poster, but no-one cares anymore; people have moved on. Many clothing addicts have moved on  and moved to other interests too.

I wonder how the forums helped tailors, shoemakers etc make their living. Numerous people l knew loathed these igents and saw them as pests, but surely there must have been the silent men who googled things, found recommendations and went to various tailors and retail stores based on net-gent chatter. One thing l do know - shoe trends changed worldwide from pointed and square to more classic shapes and designs after forums were invented, and t.v people started wearing pocketsquares. Those forums influenced blogs, created an interest in clothes/shoes and changed the world...they have served their purpose, and now is the time for it all to end. Many of us blokes are a lot older now, and it's time for us to have a good rest; we have been there and done it, and now it's time to retire from the online world and take it easy.

#7 2023-06-09 06:16:08

An Unseen Scene

Shooman's post sums it up well. It's the same about fora having their day, people moving on and the next generation following the latest technology engagement route. I'm in groups for Soul music, audio equipment, design that are all products of an era and person's age. Some are holding on, some are already gone. As also said, it's not only the forum as an engagement method that is fading away, its people too. 

I liked the pace of a forum compared to real-time, with its ability to read back, but so it goes.

Board footer