You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-22 07:14:28

AlveySinger

THE AVERAGE BRITISH MALE IN SUMMERTIME

I've just enjoyed a few days watching the test match at Edgbaston.

With the exception of Sunday afternoon the weather was perfect.

It was far too warm for long trousers and regular shirts so across the four days I wore a combination of seersucker or madras shorts with polo shirts or linen shirts. On my feet were deck shoes, camp mocks or loafers.

Apart from a few men in linen suits or blazers, who were no doubt on a corporate jolly, the average spectator in the ground looked awful.

Since when did grey become a summer colour?

Baggy cargo shorts that look like they're from the UPS uniform shop.

Football shirts.

No idea of what colours work well together - let alone what materials.

Wearing regulation blue or black socks you'd associate with a suit with beige shorts.

Those shorts that finish mid shin worn with walking style shoes.

The list goes on.

Summertime is always the low mark in British menswear. Comfort overrides all other factors. Shorts and tops are thrown together - not because they coordinate but because they live in the same draw.

It's shocking that we have a whole season of events to dress up for together with a load of new things and yet things fall apart.

#2 2023-06-22 12:39:45

Staxfan

Re: THE AVERAGE BRITISH MALE IN SUMMERTIME

Alvey - most people just don’t give a toss,or more likely don’t get it, a couple of weeks ago I was in Portugal with kids and grandkids, cross section of people there but the overriding thing was how awful they were dressed, as my Wife would say ‘ don’t they look in the mirror before they go out ?), you have to understand she’s from the county east of London, hahaha

#3 2023-06-22 13:06:36

RobbieB

Alvey-Wow, Edgbaston and the Test Match. I'm truly envious. I was listening on the radio. I watched the highlights and I'm guessing you were one of the guys dressed as a banana. Ha.
I was in hospital for a time last week due to an adverse reaction to medication. Firstly a nurse came along and commented on how me and the missus were dressed. She said 'how smart are you two'. Now my wife was wearing baseball boots, designer jeans and a pink stripped marimekko shirt. I was in desert boots, chinos and a pink gingham checked shirt. We both had sun glasses on which may have made the difference but I didn't think we were that 'smart' but later the young Oncologist Dr came to see me and immediately said 'Wow, the original power couple'. We loved the compliments but you don't have to do much to stand out , these days.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2023-06-23 05:52:31

AlveySinger

I'm wearing pink gingham and chinos today.

A J Press long sleeve with loop and third collar button.

The pink shade is candy coloured rather than pastel so yells out Summer.

#5 2023-06-23 07:21:46

Kingston1an

You get MCC types wearing the tie at Lords.

I left the house around 7pm with Australia needing twelve runs. When I got to my destination they had won the match. Looked ominous when they started hitting sixes.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2023-08-05 04:53:08

Kingston1an

I note numerous articles commenting on the Prime Minister clothing choices.

They all seem to be written by Derek Guyler. The one time comedy actor (the  janitor in 'Please Sir' etc.) has now reinvented himself as another menswear expert.

I await Harry Worth on the revival of hats.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2023-08-05 07:11:28

FlatSixC

Apart from a small section of society (mainly old people) very little importance is attached to clothes as a way of impressing others. Range Rovers, electric cars, supersize house extensions and mega TVs carry more gravitas as a way of stating your success and being an okay person. People don’t own a decent coat but are quite happy to shell out for cocktails at 20 quid a throw and 800 a month to lease the latest Audi. We seem to be moving towards a year-round sportswear based male wardrobe with sweatshirts or fleeces added and subtracted as temperatures vary. Shorts to be worn April to October regardless of the weather, unless you’re a postman then it’s compulsory 12 months a year.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-08-05 07:13:32)

#8 2023-08-05 07:37:49

Staxfan

Earlier this year on a holiday to Portugal there was an ex prem/pro footballer on the flight, Rio Ferdinand's brother, ( he's sometimes commenting on Sky Sports),
dressed in grey sweat pants and I think sweat shirt, obviously trainers, probably very expensive items,  I said to the Mrs he didn't look any different to the chavs on the flight who got their sweats from Primart !

#9 2023-08-05 08:24:42

RobbieB

I'm at Stansted Airport and I appreciate that people are going away on their holidays and are dressing casually but. JD sports must be making Hugh profits. I am wear a BD shirt with a top pocket for my passport but very few others are wearing a collared shirt. Those that are in the over 60 age group. No leather shoes, just trainers. No suits or ties but maybe that's to be expected.

#10 2023-08-05 08:29:59

RobbieB

With on going health issues I've had to visit 3 Essex hospitals and 1 in Finland in the last 6 months and the standard of dress amongst patients is appalling. People have lost all sense of personal pride. Not only that but some patients don't seem to have seen the need to wash before attending appointments. What has happened to us?

#11 2023-08-06 12:45:08

Streetlight

Kingston1an

'I note numerous articles commenting on the Prime Minister clothing choices.

They all seem to be written by Derek Guyler. The one time comedy actor (the  janitor in 'Please Sir' etc.) has now reinvented himself as another menswear expert.

I await Harry Worth on the revival of hats.'

That has to be Derek Guy, the pretentiously wordy blogger Die Workwear

Derek Guyler would be much preferred.

Last edited by Streetlight (2023-08-06 12:49:49)

#12 2023-08-07 06:41:49

AlveySinger

I travel frequently to Florida and the general display of football shirts, denim shorts and sweatpants is a depressing state of affairs.

I appreciate that flying for 9 hours in a cramped environment hardly calls for a jacket and tie but I firmly believe you can look better that 90% of the guys I see.

Comfort has trumped everything and sadly many align comfort with sloppy.

Occasionally you see someone who has given his appearance some thought. Typically they're older, retired types who have an unstructured jacket (all those jacket pockets come in handy), driving shoes ( ideal for quick removal when being scanned) and a tailored polo shirt ( comfortable and doesn't crease).

#13 2023-08-08 07:54:39

Patrick

^ Pretty much what I see around here (NW Connecticut).

I'm often not much better, in fishing season anyway. But at least my stuff has a purpose beyond some vague idea of comfort and sticking it to the Man.

You can always spot the non-conformists. They all dress the same.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

Board footer