You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-15 07:00:05

AlveySinger

MUJI HALF SLEEVE OCBD

Must admit that anything I've ever bought from Muji is hit and miss quality wise. Although never expensive I have never thought it's a bargain either. Unlike Uniqlo where their merino knits continuously delight.

Yesterday though my view was altered.

I came across a rack of half sleeve oxfords - plain, check, awning striped. About eight or nine different options.

Each shirt has a locker loop and a collar roll similar to a Kamakura Vintage Ivy. The organic cotton has also been pre-washed for a softer feel. The sleeve length is more akin to retro half sleeve than the current too small/too tight short sleeve options. Overall they're a relaxed fit

I have saved the best bit to last. They're only £29.95 each in-store but I noticed online if you spend over £50 you get £10 off.

The pictures on their website don't do these shirts justice. Check them out in the flesh.

#2 2023-06-15 07:41:27

Kingston1an

Re: MUJI HALF SLEEVE OCBD

Alvey,

Thanks. Described as short sleeve rather than half sleeve though. Another thing to obsess about.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2023-06-16 05:10:55

An Unseen Scene

What are the full sleeve shirts like now?  Last time I checked the collars were small and the sizing likewise. But looking on their website, the sizing if true is now okay and the collars look decent too.

#4 2023-06-20 08:08:52

AlveySinger

^AUS

I didn't see any at my local store apart from grandad linens that have no appeal to me.

I was just so bowled over with the half sleeve that I grabbed one to try on.

The Muji website imagery is shocking.

#5 2023-06-21 12:48:49

An Unseen Scene

Thanks, I will check them out again in London sometime

#6 2023-06-21 13:23:06

mightymax

I recently bought a blue, long-sleeved, Muji OCBD and for the price I'm very happy with it. The collar is okay: longer than some of their older shirts—which I'd never have bought—with an unfused lining that keeps it fairly supple with a nice shape. The oxford cloth is quite thick and between the shape of the collar and the fabric, the collar is fairly static (i.e. doesn't move as I move my body, which is something of a mark of quality for me). So it's obviously not in the same league as Fitzgeralds, John Simons, or other much-costlier shirts. The cut is good: straight up and down, so a little roomy on my skinny frame, and a little short in the tails for my liking but presenting a classic look while tucked. Blessedly, the sleeves are the right length for me, whereas many shirts come up a little short. Otherwise it has classic styling that ticks a lot of boxes. I would certainly buy another.

#7 2023-06-22 01:31:23

AlveySinger

At £30 these shirts are never going to tick every box.

But, and it's a big but, in these days of rising inflation, unfavourable exchange rates and crazy import duties the Muji option offers the Ivy-ist a very affordable option.

I have over the years found Uniqlo quality a bit hit and miss so it's good to be able to have an alternative outlet to consider.

#8 2023-06-22 05:06:33

Kingston1an

I have a couple of great Uniqlo Madras shirts. I cannot remember how old they are but they get worn every Summer.

Nothing wrong with inexpensive clothing.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2023-06-22 13:13:23

RobbieB

Alvey- quote
'I didn't see any at my local store apart from grandad linens that have no appeal to me.'
What's grandad linens? I've always though linen was for young blades, men about town, if you will. Just as I've ordered a linen shirt from Jake's I find I'm in old geezer territory (yet again)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2023-06-22 13:18:05

RobbieB

I haven't bought anything from Muji for a long time. What I do miss is the GAP stores, which very occasionally had stuff worth buying, at a reasonable price.

#11 2023-06-22 16:17:31

AlveySinger

Grandad shirts are the old term for collarless shirts. I think they're now called banded collars.

I'm not averse  to linen. I've got a lovely navy blue Irish linen BB short sleeve shirt.

It's such a thing of beauty that I can't wear it in case the navy fades.

#12 2023-06-22 16:26:05

AlveySinger

Back in the Eighties I would travel to Nottingham just to visit the Gap.

It was a 2.5 hour round trip.

I loved their pocket t shirts - that were surprisingly hard to come by, their navy blue chinos were unbeatable and their lovely chambray button downs.

They also had goat skin/ suede Harringtons.

It's hard to think that things that are now so ubiquitous were once so difficult to track down.

No doubt someone will say that in London during the Eighties the streets were paved in Americana but sadly not so in the glorious Midlands

#13 2023-06-23 02:46:51

RobbieB

Alvey-I misread your Grandad linen reference. Of course I know the term Grandad shirts and I remember them as an item late 60s/70s. Never liked them. My own grandad used to wear a collarless shirt but that would have been cotton and was boiled clean on a washday by my grandmother.
Linen I think of as continental, Italian even and worn by good looking men around the Mediterranean

#14 2023-06-23 05:49:58

AlveySinger

^Robbie

Stanley Tucci backs up your Med vision. He wears lovely navy or white linen spread collar shirts on his TV show.

I plan on getting a white BB Irish linen shirt when I'm next in the States.

#15 2023-08-30 06:48:12

AlveySinger

After a few washes the Muji OCBD short sleeve has stood up nicely.

For under £30 it has turned into an Ivy bargain

Board footer