You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-28 09:55:55

Jdemy

OCBD Cheats

As I slowly accrue a collection of makers shirts to hopefully last me until my old age, I wonder if anyone ever bought a BB Red Fleece, Golden Fleece, or Black Fleece shirt and could explain what its virtues (?) and drawbacks might be?

Jake's Shirts look like the real deal- and Mercer's are great, too- but the prices are nuts.

Last edited by Jdemy (2023-08-28 10:00:47)

#2 2023-08-29 08:04:20

AlveySinger

Re: OCBD Cheats

I have one Red Fleece OCBD - bought at a factory outlet in Florida.

Basically it's a modern cut shirt. I sized up from a medium. I don't think they do actual collar sizes - but I'm not 100% sure.

Plus points are the third collar button and locker loop.  The cloth is also very good. As it's designed to be trimmer the shirt has much smaller collars so you don't get the roll.

Its target audience is similar to the guys who were buying Rugby

As I sized up the neck line is baggier than I'd like but the price was too good to pass on.

#3 2023-08-29 08:25:40

AlveySinger

With Mercer you get a good traditional shirt.

They are huge though and I had a smaller body on my regular collar size.

David Mercer is a very nice guy and was exceptionally helpful.

I would suggest that anyone considering their shirts though goes for the longer shirt tails option.

#4 2023-08-29 09:59:04

Jdemy

I have a Mercer shirt.  It’s good.  I didn’t go with Oxford cloth, though, so I’m not sure how their OCBD would stack up against others. I too had them use a smaller body than they usually do - and it worked (though I could also see the larger body working too). I think their baggy sizing might come from a 1980’s sensibility.

#5 2023-08-30 06:46:12

AlveySinger

^Jdemy

You might already own one but if you get a chance have a hunt for the Polo unlogo'ed flap pocket Oxford.

It come complete with locker-loop and third collar button.

Once these shirts were only available occasionally but increasingly they appear on their website in a myriad of materials and cuts every season.

The quality is very good as is all the the Ivy correct detail. Although the collar doesn't roll they're a worthy addition to the wardrobe

#6 2023-08-30 12:32:13

Jdemy

Thanks for the heads up! Today I received a crazy 1969 dead stock paisley button down (Arrow Cum Laude label). I don’t know if I can ever wear it- it’s pretty extreme and the cream background is too yellow for my coloring. But it’s a nice artifact from my childhood. And- it fits, which is a miracle.

#7 2023-08-31 00:52:05

RobbieB

J Lewis have OCBD shirts for sale. Some with third collar buttons, locker loops and back pleats. Some with dodgy logos and a not very generous collar roll but for someone on a budget they might be of interest.

I think J Lewis is suffering as a retail shop. I hope it doesn't 'go under' like so many other shops.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

Board footer