You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-26 05:22:33

AlveySinger

SUNDAY TIMES BACK TO BASICS

There was a really interesting article in a menswear STYLE supplement last Sunday 24/9.

It will resonate with many on here.

The basic premise is that a number of men are looking for the perfect basics - and wiling to pay for them.

The key things mentioned were the grey marl sweatshirt and white t shirt.

Camber, Sunspel and Uniqlo all get a mention together with a few others.

Personally, it's a big part of my own Ivy obsession. I spend ages looking for classic clothing that used to be readily available and the foundations of everyday wear. No wonder Vintage is getting more expensive.

The perfect fitting jeans, a comfortable sweatshirt ideally with a V collar, loafers that aren't coated in gloss varnish, t-shirts with a robust collar band and on the waist Khakis that aren't voluminous on the thigh and a decent navy raincoat have all been my obsessions over the last decade.

After wasting too much time and far too much money I feel that my own personal search is now at an end.

I have a list of my personal brand preferences based upon trial, error, frustration and cost that I will now stick to. This has combined with my personal style parameters that have narrowed with age

Sadly I also recognise that some brands all too frequently change specs, country of origin and pricing meaning you can't rely on them to be consistent

#2 2023-09-26 07:16:58

An Unseen Scene

Re: SUNDAY TIMES BACK TO BASICS

Where did you end up on the navy raincoat?

#3 2023-09-26 10:03:18

AlveySinger

I went Vintage Burberrys from Brick Lane

Really pleased with it. Great fabric, depth of colour and length.

I'm not a fan of buying Vintage unless you get to see it in the flesh. I've been burnt in the past

#4 2023-09-26 15:09:58

An Unseen Scene

I'm broadly the same now on vintage - but will take a chance for a sport jacket sometimes.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-09-26 15:10:22)

#5 2023-09-27 02:19:30

Staxfan

Alvey - I'm with you regarding 'go-to' brands & personal style parameters narrowing with age, ( unlike RobbieB who seems to still be pushing the barriers  haha), On the subject of basics I discovered yesterday that Gap have opened a few stores,  Oxford St, Bluewater, and a few concessions in Next stores, obviously Gap in 2023 isn't the Gap of 1995 but even in the last couple of years pre-covid there were sometimes the odd worthwhile low price item to be picked up in store, still my go to place for boxers,

#6 2023-09-27 05:33:46

Kingston1an

I have enough stuff. Some never gets worn. So in no rush to acquire more. Too late to buy the thick stripe Kamakura but I have more than enough shirts anyway.

As for Chiltern Street, there are lots more options these days. It does not have USP,  unless you want to buy from the individuals who own it

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

Board footer