You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-19 05:36:59

FlatSixC

The Cotton Bucket Hat

I’ve got a couple of bucket hats I sourced from the USA a few years back and which I’m very fond of .. the cotton type in khaki or navy blue with a guards stripe ribbon. They were hard to get hold of in the UK, had pucca Ivy credentials, good for casual knocking about in and not seen on the average head.

I went to a picnic concert at Kew Gardens last weekend and saw two other blokes wearing them.

I had a Facebook notification today that JS will be stocking the Stetson Fairway cotton bucket hat shortly.

I googled this and found that the comedian Bob Mortimer is setting a trend by wearing one on a fishing programme he is in and hat sellers are using his photo to peddle their wares.

It seems that, like the newsboy cap, the cotton bucket hat is about to go from being a niche item to being worn by every man and his dog. Oh well.

#2 2023-07-19 06:11:56

Tomiskinky

Re: The Cotton Bucket Hat

Been omnipresent in the Smoke for the past 18 months thanks to Bob, could never find any in a small size (with the Jack Lemon crown lip detail), have a stunning Brooks Bros daisy mae style one with he ribbon and never seen anyone else in one.

#3 2023-07-19 07:07:35

Staxfan

I came across a USA website called 'Hats Unlimited', they stock the Stetson Fairway @ USD 34.99,  they reference Bob Mortimore in their product description.... I doubt those Yanks would get his humour....

#4 2023-07-19 09:18:16

RobbieB

Bucket hats are everywhere to be seen in my bubble. England cricketers, West Ham players when they did their European Conference trophy parade etc. My new Ralph reversible bucket hat doesn't really suit me and the missus says it's too small and makes me look a twat.She has a yellow Tommy Hilfiger hat that looks good on her. I will have to catch up on the Bob Mortimer programme as I do a bit of fishing myself.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#5 2023-07-20 02:49:41

Staxfan

Robbie - your Missus doesn't mince her words ! Is that a Finnish trait or has she just got you sussed ? ( as has my Missus has me !)

#6 2023-07-20 04:59:11

FlatSixC

Mrs Flat6 doesn’t really like being seen out with me when I’m wearing a brimmed hat. They attract a few looks and the odd remark like ‘nice hat mate’, which could be a genuine compliment, or then again could be an attempt to take the piss. The bucket hat, being a casual item, is just on her cusp of acceptability.

#7 2023-07-21 05:50:05

Patrick

Can't post a photo but mine is a Dorfman Pacific, 75/25 cotton/poly. My primary fishing hat

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#8 2023-07-24 05:16:11

Kingston1an

They seem to be rather expensive in this country for a fekkin cotton hat.

Also there are unwanted associations with Harry Enfield's American tourist from Bdiddlyboing Odawidaho.  Especially combined with a raincoat and bow tie.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2023-07-24 10:01:29

An Unseen Scene

The Mortimer and Whitehouse programme is good, whether you like fishing or not - it's really about ageing, health and friendship.  It's popular and has it's own fishing related clothing code, it has made those hats popular.  Bob wears it well.  Most people who see one would just smile if they knew the programme, it's prior associations are past really.

#10 2023-07-25 04:27:16

RobbieB

HaHa I had forgotten the Harry Enfield connection to the bucket hat. I've stopped wearing mine.
Stax- Finnish people , in general, have a habit of talking straight and it can be a bit off putting at times to someone like myself but I've got used to it. They often don't use terms such as please and thank you. My missus spent a long time in the UK so she also has a bit of an Essex girl sensibility about her.

#11 2023-07-27 01:42:45

RobbieB

Just seen that IKEA are now selling a bucket hat in blue using the same plastic material that they use for their bags. Surely this is enough to make the bucket hat a hat to be avoided at present?

#12 2023-07-27 02:38:26

Streetlight

Maybe pair it with some Lidl trainers and Greggs jogging bottoms.

#13 2023-07-28 21:01:07

RobbieB

Streetlight- HaHa that's got the makings of a decent outfit.

O'Connell's Fisherman's Bucket Hat - Khaki made in USA for 60 dollars. Looks like a proper fishing hat.
Do others, like me, get nostalgic browsing the offerings from O'Connell's?
Clothes from a bygone era now.

#14 2023-07-29 03:39:28

Staxfan

I take a look at O'Connell's from time to time, yes clobber from a bygone era , they still have nos items on their website that were there at least 10 years ago when I bought a few nos shirts, Robbie we're dinosaurs now !

#15 2023-08-01 04:24:39

RobbieB

Staxfan- we are dinosaurs indeed although a conspiracy theory going round is that dinosaurs didn't exist! I'm real!

#16 2023-09-24 17:27:12

Horace

Cable Car Clothiers has a good usa made bucket hat.  A Stetson I think. 
In the requisite khaki or light blue with guards stripe grosgrain.  They have (or had)
them in actual hat sizes.  I don’t care for the S/M/L sizing myself but the ol’ standby
bucket is getting harder to find properly sized. 

Seen them a lot this past summer.  Esp among older chums.
I noticed a resurgence myself. 

The brim isn’t as wide as I’d like for protection against sun.  But I sport one anyway.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#17 2023-09-24 17:32:58

Horace

looks like the Fairway is “imported?? .  I wonder if Stetson still makes in USA for shops that request it?

Frankly for fishing, I think the Filson hat, wider brim, USA made, but not properly sized, is a superior  hat. 
Stout construction.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#18 2023-10-26 02:49:29

katon

I think their original market was Japan, so not good if you have a big head, but New York Hat Co. has made-in-the-USA bucket hats: https://newyorkhatco.com/

Last edited by katon (2023-10-26 02:49:44)

#19 2023-11-08 23:40:14

Horace

Yes an old standby.

Board footer