You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-14 19:24:21

SanchoPanza

Shetland care

Hello,

Long time, no see. Hope everyone is doing okey!

Does anyone have some tips on how to maintain a shetland sweater? I have some stains, don't ask what but it's probably gin, on a O'Connells shetland sweater (Heathered Oat). And since I don't want to wash the whole damn thing, can one just wash the stain, and IF so, how will I do that? Do I use some wol wash solution on a microfiber cloth? Do I pray and hope that the stain will remove itself?

Also, what brushes to you use for shetland sweaters? I have a Kent CC20 but I don't know if it will to too "harsh" and ruin it.

Thanks!

#2 2023-12-15 00:22:25

colin
Bright Light

Re: Shetland care

From past experience, Shetlands can be easily handwashed and come out fine. I don't do it very often (not needed) but should hold up....if you dare!

Worth hearing what others do, but after measuring it for post-wash reference, id put a splash of wool/hand wash liquid in the bath/big sink at a pretty cool temperature, soak it briefly, then target the stain with your hands to scrubb gently. Re fill the bath and get the soap out. Don't ring it dry but instead press and roll between two towels and then just make sure it's stretched back to the right measurements as before (IE sleeve might need gentle stretching but probably not).

I appreciate it's a risk!

#3 2023-12-15 01:29:18

Tomiskinky

I find spot cleaning knitwear can leave a watermark especially on light colours, like Colin I’ve just hand washed mine and they’ve been fine.

#4 2023-12-15 05:14:21

colin
Bright Light

Ps good to see you're both back here!

#5 2024-01-04 11:50:47

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

I hand wash my Shetlands. If you have access to a washing machine that does a short gentle spin, the sweater won't lose shape or be damaged. It speeds up the drying process.

Board footer