You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-02 12:34:12

Staxfan

John Smedley Merino

Hi Guys,
Happy New Year,
I’m in the market for a merino wool cardigan, Smedleys have some good discounts at the moment and most sizes available, I’m tempted, however it’s a while since I’ve had anything from Smedleys and I wasn’t particularly impressed with the last item which was a cotton crew,
Can’t recall having anything in merino from them so just wondering if anyone has had their merino and what they thought of it, maybe a question for Alvey,
Cheers

#2 2024-01-02 15:13:43

FlatSixC

Re: John Smedley Merino

Stax - I don’t know if a lambswool cardi would fall within your target zone. If so I would wholeheartedly recommend Community Clothing’s offerings. Think Alan Paine quality, but when Alan Paine quality was Alan Paine quality.
https://communityclothing.co.uk/collections/mens-jumpers-knitwear/products/mens-lambswool-cardigan-navy?variant=45322392928533

#3 2024-01-02 16:43:07

AlveySinger

Hi Stax,
I have had Smedley merino in both polo shirt and crew neck
The quality is superb as are their colours but personally I find it a bit too fine. Unless you are Adonis it tends to show every bump and lump. Sadly my strict diet of salt beef, bagels, chocolate and Chablis prevents me from wearing anything too clingy.
I know a guy who likes to wear Smed cardigans under sports jackets to create a waistcoats effect and they’re versatile enough  to do that.And look very sharp.
You could ring the factory store and see if they do mail order.
The other option would be Sunspel. I’m not sure on cardigans but their merino is a thicker gauge.

#4 2024-01-03 00:38:02

Staxfan

Hi Alvey,
Thanks for your very helpful input, the cardigans are described as extra fine and with your input it has made me recall a Smedley crew I had maybe 15 years ago that was probably merino and it was clingy and whilst I carry a little less timber these days I certainly don’t fall into the Adonis class,
My alternative is a William Lockie lambswool from Hume’s, I’ve been hanging on to see if they put them in the sale but it doesn’t seem they will, I’ve no problem paying full price as long as the item isn’t discounted a fortnight after I’ve paid the full wack !
FSC - again thanks for your input, I’d looked at CC but I didn’t fancy any of the colours on offer, however if I look to replace any ‘base’ colours ( say navy), I’d give them a try, don’t know about you but I’m not impressed with Alan Paine quality, the last couple I’ve had have piled before they’ve even been washed,
If I go ahead with the WL I’ll report back !
Cheers

#5 2024-01-03 01:54:30

Tomiskinky

The merino from Smedley is much better than the cotton, which I find impossible to wash and reshape. The wool on the other hand washes well, as do my wife’s (who washes hers after every wear it seems to me!!!)

Might be worth checking M&S and John Lewis too, I have one of the former roll necks and it’s a wonderful weight merino. If going the lambs wool route Uniqlo always worth a look.

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2024-01-03 01:55:15)

#6 2024-01-03 03:55:39

Staxfan

Thanks Tom,
You need to have a word with your Good Lady about washing after every wear - it's not necessary !

#7 2024-01-03 07:31:03

AlveySinger

The one thing I've noticed about Smedley sea island is that the white polo shirts don't hold their shape as much as the colours.

I bulk buy their navy polo shirts from the factory shop and haven't experienced any issues whereas the white is much harder to keep the collar looking sharp. The quality of their colour dyes is very good and has withstood numerous washes.

With regard to Paine I currently only own silk-cashmere-cotton long sleeve polo shirts. I haven't experienced any issues with these so far.

Uniqlo merino is very good price v quality wise. I just wish their collars were a tad larger

#8 2024-01-03 08:29:53

Staxfan

Thanks Alvey,
I've ordered the William Lockie lambswool from A.Hume in ' moreland', this looks like a nice shade of green , I'll report back when I receive it, looks like a bit of a wait for the delivery though !

#9 2024-01-09 11:21:00

Staxfan

The William Lockie lambswool cardigan arrived today, nice colour, excellent wool, fit good BUT the rib at the bottom of the cardigan was far too tight, layed flat it was much narrower than the waist,I measured the rib of a couple of 10-12 year old Brooks merino cardigans I have, one in M and the other in L, it was 3-4 inches narrower, I was surprised as it’s not a ‘ fashion’ or ‘contemporary ‘ fit, Deal breaker, it’ll be winging its way back to Scotland tomorrow, Online shopping sucks!

#10 2024-01-18 07:25:09

Staxfan

Still on the trail of a cardigan..... I had something pop up on a fb thread from Joseph Turner, lambswool cardigans reduced from (around £140) to £49, sign up for an email and get a free delivery, free returns are standard, I'll report back when it arrives, ( probably next week), if it's any good then it'll be a real bargain !

#11 2024-01-18 09:28:08

RobbieB

Stax-I was also interested in the JT cardigans. If it meets with you approval I might be interested as well. Keep us posted. As you say a potential real bargain

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#12 2024-01-18 09:30:07

An Unseen Scene

After trying a number of expensive brands and returning them as reported here by others, I ended up getting every colour of M&S shawl collar cardigans multiple times this year. They are genuinely nice and do the job. If they have an issue, I have two more of each one waiting.

I'm past worrying about brands and items having precisely right Ivy name at this stage.

#13 2024-01-19 01:11:13

Staxfan

Yes will do Robbie,
AUS - couldn’t agree more,

#14 2024-01-19 03:46:00

Kingston1an

"After trying a number of expensive brands and returning them as reported here by others, I ended up getting every colour of M&S shawl collar cardigans multiple times this year. They are genuinely nice and do the job. If they have an issue, I have two more of each one waiting. "

Every colour plus two spare!

You are not The Weejun in disguise by any chance are you?

Last edited by Kingston1an (2024-01-19 03:47:58)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#15 2024-01-19 07:18:22

AlveySinger

AUS,

Is the shawl collar cardigan the version with side pockets?

My business partner has bought both a grey colour and navy. They look really great.

#16 2024-01-19 08:01:49

An Unseen Scene

Interesting point there AS - the original ones Mrs Unseen bought me last year had patch pockets on the front.  Very useful.

The winter 23-24 ones have the side pockets which have a warm nice fabric rather than the wool.  Both versions work well.

The current range has added a burgundy 'wine' colour which is appreciated.  I've got navy, brown, light grey, green and wine. When you think I have three of each, that's a lot of cardigans in addition to bobbly older ones I already had. Then there's the jumper piles on a spare bed too....

Back to these M&S ones - I know we all like the right brands, but genuinely for the price, I doubt they can be beaten. When I see them going online for £300 from a range of top end vendors, I don't think I'd get substantial more use that justifies it.  I only wear them around the house or nipping to the post box 2 mins away.  Outside I'd wear a thin jumper under a jacket/coat.

One of our sons is a trainee physological counsellor as part of his academia and at 23 he now wears one over a polo top for his 'smart casual' look to the attendees.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2024-01-19 08:20:03)

#17 2024-01-22 03:01:01

Staxfan

Robbie - Update on the JT cardigan, it arrived via RM on Saturday which was just 3 days after ordering but they hadn't sent me any tracking info !
I ordered a size 'L' as the dims showed the chest was 41-42", it was enormous, the p-2-p measured 24", it appeared to be a good quality wool and well made ,nice shade
of ' pine' green, although it didn't have that lining you often get behind the buttons and button holes on cardigans, but I thought it was worth a second punt so I've returned it to exchange for a size 'M', (I know it makes sense to order different sizes when you're not sure of the right size but to me that just seems a bit negative), assuming the 'M' is a good fit I'll keep it and I believe for £49 it's a good buy, if after a few wears I ' bond' with it I may go back for another in a different colour. As a comparison the JT cardigan looked & felt as good as the Wm. Lockie one ( £ 145),that arrived and was returned a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately none seem to come close to my Brooks heavy-ish merino from around 2012, A couple of things to consider , if you go for the JT cardigan, they are in the ' Clearance' department ( different to the 'Sales' dept ), and you only have 7 days to return , if you sign up in advance for their newsletter you get a free delivery, I'll update when the replacement 'M' arrives,

#18 2024-01-22 11:41:31

RobbieB

Shame that the L is enormous because I reckon I must be an M and no red ones in M. They do look like a bargain so maybe I will order a green one.

#19 2024-01-23 02:33:00

Half Mast

Just stumbled across this in case anyone's interested, "Mens generously sized cardigan Knitted in  Shetland Wool. This classic cardigan has patch pockets and mock leather buttons, it is satisfyingly warm and snug without being bulky or cumbersome – the perfect choice for long autumnal evenings and cold winter days. A great way to keep warm and cosy in an array of co-ordinating colours"

Looks quite old-school (a la Sid James in "Carry On......") and a bargain for 100% Shetland wool (£79). Nice Colours too.

Unfortunately don't seem to stock it to fit scrawny chaps like me.

https://www.countrycollection.co.uk/products/383/shetland-cardigan-mens

#20 2024-01-24 08:55:47

RobbieB

I ordered the JT cardigan in green in a medium.Seems like a bargain for £49.
I had a look at the country collection ones but was put off by the generously sized comment and Half Mast mentioning the Sid James connection.HaHa. As it happens my dad looked like Sid James and wore the cardis. Unfortunately I didn't inherit his good looks or cardigans.

#21 2024-01-24 12:00:28

Kingston1an

Sid James fashion icon.

Does the trend have a name? Sid Corrrrr!

CarryOnCore?

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#22 2024-01-24 12:29:30

RobbieB

My missus wears two of my old cardis around the house or flat. Finn's at home really dress down. She calls them her 'Rigsby' after the character in 'Rising damp'. His were sleeveless but the food stains on my old knitwear gives some credence to her nickname.

#23 2024-01-27 05:03:26

Staxfan

The replacement size M cardigan arrived from JT this morning, good fit, it's staying, the difference between a L & M is enormous, I checked their website a few days ago and there weren't many colours left at £49, I think the navy is back up to full price at around £140, so at £49 my one in pine is a bargain. Out for a ruby tonight so maybe I can get some food stains on the cardi to give it some authenticity......

#24 2024-01-27 06:48:29

RobbieB

My size M cardi also arrived this morning. A bargain for £49. I also noticed the navy was back to full price. Not sure I would pay £140 for a made in China item. I will also will wear mine today. I won't risk a ruby like Stax but I might end up dribbling a Guinness down the front

#25 2024-01-27 08:23:55

Staxfan

Robbie- like you I don’t think I’d pay full price, I think JT are one of those websites (like Lands End) that are always discounting, their starting prices seem overpriced to me, but with discounts reasonable value for money, before Christmas I had and returned 2 pairs of 5 pockets due to the fit, but they were decent quality so I’ll keep an eye on their offerings particularly for 5 pocket cords but I’d need to size up for extra thigh and arse room !
BTW the JT service is very good, I dropped off the L size cardigan at the Post Office last Saturday, delivered Wednesday, exchange received today,

Board footer