You are not logged in.

#576 2023-11-08 02:45:34

AlveySinger

Re: New In At Chiltern Street...

Stax,

Long story.

Many years ago I came across a tweed jacket. Totally un-Ivy in design but I fell in love with the cloth. If my memory serves me right the jacket was from Charles Trywitt

I managed to track the fabric down from Moon and spoke to my local tailor about building an Ivy jacket based upon Keydge. The cost was crazy. So I didn't do anything about it.

The Steve McQueen Glen check, as Colin called it, has now been used by a number of companies both in the States and Asia. I also have a feeling that there are different compositions of material ( merino/ shetland, etc) but the cloth is basically the same.

Earlier in the year Sean at JS showed me a range of cloths for Autumn and to my absolute delight the check was amongst the mix.

I knew immediately that it would be a guaranteed purchase.

My visit to London was to exchange the jacket they mailed up to me, as on these you do need to size up.

As you can imagine after about five years of wanting this check I'm delighted.

Sadly, it needs a bit of tailoring to get it perfect  - but that's only because I'm so anal about fit.

#577 2023-11-08 03:04:04

colin
Bright Light

I'm pleased I sized up on the heavier corduroy so can I again the tweeds definitely need it. Intrigued what tailoring you had done? (The ivy jacket isn't absolutely perfect for me, but the best thing available these days, in terms of new)

#578 2023-11-08 03:04:22

Staxfan

Alvey - Nice story, good that you eventually got what you've been looking for, did they take your picture in the ' doorway at 46 ' ?

#579 2023-11-08 06:52:59

FlatSixC

Has anyone seen the recent Detail magazine featuring an interview with Sean at JS?

#580 2023-11-16 07:32:36

Staxfan

Some new overcoats that look very nice, and modelled by some attractive young ladies, ( better than the grey bearded old gits that are sometimes in the doorway ! ), very pleased with my JS overcoat from last year, wearing it more than I anticipated, even getting compliments from  the grandkids, hahaha,

#581 2023-11-18 07:20:33

RobbieB

The new overcoats do look good. And I like that they are using females for the doorway shots. The bar seems to be set low for photos of the chaps. I'm still offended that they didn't offer to take  a snap of my missus wearing her red raincoat. She would have said no but it would have been nice to be asked HaHa

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#582 2023-11-18 10:45:10

Kingston1an

I am afraid £500 for a tweed jacket with no lining at all is not on.

Even my Southern California Harris Tweed has a half lining. It is needed for ease of putting on/removing the jacket, especially if you also have a knitwear layer in a cold country like ours.

It is just penny pinching dressed up as a more natural fit. Maybe without Hardy and Johnson they will get away with it.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#583 2023-11-18 11:59:57

RobbieB

You make good points Kingston1an. Presumable Hardy and Johnson seised trading because the market was no longer there. At least JS  is offering something for the shrinking market. Their prices  make me think twice but then I'm a tight sod that spends his time hanging out at TKMaxx

#584 2023-11-18 12:19:19

Kingston1an

I am also a tight sod. I looked in TK Maxx Wimbledon recently as I had a few minutes before a train. I did not see anything, but all the talk made me think I should at least have a look.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#585 2023-11-19 05:23:36

colin
Bright Light

Think that's a fair point about not having a half lining on the tweed jackets. I couldn't justify that price for new myself, but I still think it's possible to get old brooks brothers or southwick tweeds relatively easily via eBay/Etsy at a fraction of the cost.

The glen plaid check is harder, and if I had any spare money for pointless things like clothes, I'd be very tempted. That said, it's the overcoats which really catch my eye, but again way out of my price range.

I'm convinced the remaining market for new ivy style clothes is held up by a handful of super rich guys who either work in property or finance. Those in creative jobs of different kinds won't likely have that kind of disposable income!

Would be nice to get a few new things from John Simons, and even though I don't buy much new stuff these days, there's a nice satisfaction in picked up a cheap vintage find for a few quid which beats spending £1000 without the search.

#586 2023-11-19 10:26:21

AlveySinger

I was going to say dressing Ivy is an expensive game unless you go vintage but as I was typing this I realised menswear in general has become expensive.

I had ten minutes to spare last night before catching a train home from Birmingham's legendary German market - superb mulled wine and lagers.

I ventured into a large TK Maxx. Even tat is expensive these days. Also, the local Russell and Bromley are selling a college loafer for £245 that's as close to plastic  as leather can get

#587 2023-12-01 11:21:30

RobbieB

Not too keen on the new Paul Weller leather jackets. I'm not short of a few bob but I couldn't see myself forking out :£895 for short leather number. I don't consider leather jackets Ivy anyway but I did wear a leather coat today. More a mod thing.

#588 2023-12-02 01:04:56

Staxfan

The PW leather jacket release has I think overshadowed the new Mingus jackets that showed up on the website earlier this week, they look very nice, certainly more Ivy that the PW leathers,

#589 2023-12-02 03:34:56

RobbieB

Stax, I make you right on that. The Mingus jackets look good whereas the PW leathers are a bit 'meh' for me.

I'm not sure the PW collaboration works (so far)  but I guess I'm not the target audience.

#590 2023-12-02 04:48:29

Staxfan

I read on the JS website that the PW leathers are limited per customer - 'Purchasing the jacket is limited to one size per colour per customer' , perhaps they think someone's going to buy them up and re-sell with an additional mark-up based on the ' exclusivity ' of the jackets, not for most of us on here but there will be a lot of PW fans out there who'll think they're great I'm sure,

#591 2023-12-02 08:05:52

Streetlight

PW: be yourself
Wellerites: and how should I be myself?

#592 2023-12-02 14:11:40

FlatSixC

I did buy a JS/Weller collaboration sweater some while back. But to be fair it was just a Shetland sweater with a special label sewn in it.

#593 2023-12-03 16:14:18

Yuca

'PW: be yourself
Wellerites: and how should I be myself?'

A comedy haircut is a good starting point.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#594 2023-12-04 10:06:55

AlveySinger

Stax,

Most likely marketing, creating the expectation of high demand stimulates the fear of missing out. Consumers will tend to overlook price considerations to satisfy their cravings - for in this case leather jackets.

I don't think it's to stop the re-sale market.

I used the same tactic many, many years ago for a brand that imported tribal rugs from Asia. In truth they were absolutely stunning and reasonably priced for hand crafted quality.

#595 2023-12-06 11:11:23

AlveySinger

I was in that London today.

Very strange.Lots of local men in overcoats thinking it was cold. Coming from Birmingham I thought it was unseasonably warm and probably stood out by wearing patch madras shorts and flip flops.

On a more serious note, I found myself drawn once agin to Chiltern Street.

Some interesting new things to mention. There are three shetland shades in - navy, forest green and an Autumnal yellow.

A new navy melton Mingus jacket with a cord collar looked really nice.

Although I don't need any more overcoats the longer Donegal herringbone is superb. They have also done the navy weave from a few years ago.

The Ivy jackets look to have sold well - especially the herringbone.

On a vintage tip there was a 40" blazer with patch and flap pockets and a slightly structured shoulder that I tried on. Sadly it was not too be. Too much Panettone in Singer household over the last few weeks.

#596 2024-01-24 09:00:33

RobbieB

J Simons Modernist film now available on Prime Video. I'll give it a watch tonight

#597 2024-03-31 07:00:35

Staxfan

Has anyone purchased any of the new madras shirts ? A couple of them have caught my eye in the half sleeve button through, tbh not a bad price compared to what else is around, wonder if Jakes are bringing out any summery type shirts, I looked at his website recently , doesn't seem to be much going on....

#598 2024-04-22 07:21:55

Staxfan

The new  SS Ivy jackets look good for anyone in the market for a jacket, I had a quick browse of the available sizes in the madras shirts, very limited, looks as it they've shifted loads, great for the business,

#599 2024-04-22 07:56:23

Ematt

Love the JS madras shirts, especially the popovers, bought four of them last year and two more this year. The collar size are perfect for me.

#600 2024-04-22 09:16:38

FlatSixC

On a visit yesterday I was impressed by the new Hopsack blazer, a very light and cool fabric for summer, also the linen jackets in plain colour and a Blackwatch tartan. Also liked the new full length raincoat in a gaberdine cloth from Holland & Sherry. Some good new  stuff in there at present and very interesting vintage items on display.

Board footer