You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-27 21:32:43

GFBurke

Trad casual? and new member intro

Last edited by GFBurke (2006-05-27 21:34:04)

#2 2006-05-28 15:15:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: Trad casual? and new member intro

Welcome,

I dont want to put words in Flusser's mouth but I believe he meant biz casual was dead for the tradtionally more formal professions not the ones where theyve always dressed casually.

For you, you do need to fit in more, but i dont see why you cannot wear sports coats with sweaters or polo shirts and wool pants with nice belts and proper shoes. Maybe if you give more details as to the type of company and where it is, I or someone might be able to offer some guidelines. Ultimately it is a matter of style, comfort level and desire to keep the effort up.

In any environment there is a way to smarten up without dressing inappropriately or in the fullest sense of the word. perhaps for you, a nice pair of medium colored and light weight wool pants, a black alligator 1-1-1/4 inch belt and an engine turned sterling buckle, a blue pinpoint oxford buttondown and a sports jacket in a nice subdued plaid is a way to look smart and still not make people think youre an outsider. You can always put money into good shoes. People who dont know good shoes almost never recognize their value, and people that do almost never hold it against you. Good socks and good shoes will make you feel better dressed and the hoi polloi will not even know you have them on. But youll know...

Also, what was ill advised about your foray at dandyism.net?

#3 2006-05-28 15:39:41

Marc Grayson

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#4 2006-05-28 19:39:35

GFBurke

<i>For you, you do need to fit in more, but i dont see why you cannot wear sports coats with sweaters or polo shirts and wool pants with nice belts and proper shoes.</i>

Absolutely.  Pretty much the only thing that crosses the line to 'dressed up' is a tie. Possibly a sport coat.  Right now I'm working at home so I can wear whatever.  Usually pajamas and T-shirts. smile

When I get back into an office gig I will definitely have had a wardrobe upgrade.  What I'm hunting around for is idea directions for it.

#5 2006-05-29 00:39:47

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer