You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-01 20:45:04

GFBurke

Car Coat recommendations

#2 2006-06-01 23:34:54

Tomasso

Re: Car Coat recommendations

A photo would be very helpful. Also, you might want to visit the folks at the Fedora Lounge, they know all things vintage.

http://thefedoralounge.com/index.php

#3 2006-06-02 01:00:33

GFBurke

I like Fedora Lounge just fine, but I'm not really looking for a whole vintage costumey thing, just an idea for something I can modernize.

#4 2006-06-02 01:07:56

Incroyable

I feel dark forest green wool trousers with cuffs would work nicely.

If feeling colorful, orange corduroy trousers. For very vintage, a white motoring scarf.

Jukebox Babe

#5 2006-06-02 03:24:16

Tomasso

#6 2006-06-05 01:46:49

Horace

Burke,

I don't see the 20's look there.  What do you mean?   I think the coat looks timeless.  I like Incroy's suggestions.  But you can pretty much do anything you want with it as an outercoat, save perhaps more formal (suits and up) ensembles.  That includes anything from chinos and a blazer or tweed jacket, to a grey flannel suit.  At least that's my take.  Putting the coat over the latter just sort of lends a "youthful" appearance.  As far as I know, the idea of the car coat was that it made it easier to get in and out of the car and allowed you to wear it in the car, back in the day when heating and draft was a concern.  There might be other coats that are short too, for other reasons, like military coats (British Warm perhaps)?

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2006-06-05 07:30:01

Daniele

I like that tweed car coat (and car coats in general). I've one too, a double breasted tweed number from the mid-late 60s, similar color but with slanted pockets and a bit of waist suppression.
I generally match it with dark grey trousers, suede shoes, pastel color rollnecks and Tootal-esque or college scarves, but sometimes with a charcoal pinstripe suit and sleek black laceups also. I agree with Horace about the 'youthful' appearence given sometimes by a more casual overcoat over dressier suits.

Board footer