You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-16 20:37:06

sweetbooness2

Help w/NYC Hotel & Restaurant

As is true with most posters, my budget is fixed and limited each month. As someone who pays with cash, clothing purchases and vacations must be budgeted well in advance; therefore, I have already begun planning a surprise birthday trip in December for my girlfriend. Of course, I also have selfish reasons for wanting to go to the city; I want to at least visit some tailors who have been kindly recommended to myself and others in this forum. Even if no purchase is made, the experience itself will be educational. I have never been to the city, and budgeting formally began at the end of last month. Because I am a neophyte, I wanted to see if anyone could vouch for the following early choices for a hotel and steakhouse. I am leery of guidebooks and magazines.

As of today I was thinking of staying at the Algonquin, and my choice of a steakhouse was Del Friscos. Can anyone vouch for the quality of these establishments? I know something of the history of the Algonquin, and its association with literati of the past. I believe that Sparks is reportedly the best steakhouse in the city. We also really love Italian and Thai food.  Paul Stuart and H. Herzfeld are the stores which hold appeal for me, even though 346 will be visited to see if a whiff of what once was remains. Are there any other stores in the city in the Herzfeld mold?

Last edited by sweetbooness2 (2006-06-16 23:43:07)

#2 2006-06-16 22:29:17

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: Help w/NYC Hotel & Restaurant

The Algonquin is a great place. Love that bar. Steed Appeal is more the resident hotel expert.

If I were you, I would stop by Paris Shirts. Check out the Atkinson's poplin ties at H. Herzfeld. Paul Stuart is definite stop. The Charvet shop at Saks is worth a trip.

As for restaurants, Sparks is overated and Del Frisco's is Ok. Keanes chop house is more the real McCoy. Do you prefer Old world restaurants or something more nouvelle because I can recommend either. And if you like Sushi, whoa...

#3 2006-06-16 22:52:45

Twin Six

Speaking of the Algonquin, my grandfather was FPA of Round Table fame. Unfortunately, he died several years before I was born.

#4 2006-06-16 23:27:45

arenn

The service at Sparks is horrific.  Avoid at all costs.  The steaks are good but certainly no better than what you can get elsewhere.

#5 2006-06-16 23:48:44

sweetbooness2

I prefer old world restaurants as opposed to nouvelle. We are also music lovers, sharing a passion for jazz and blues, but only yours truly loving opera. It's silly that I hadn't even thought about The Met. She loves sushi. I know better than to call what is prepared in my town the real deal.

I have made a note of the chophouse you mentioned FNB, and will see if it has a website. Is there an old world Italian restaurant that can be recommended?

Last edited by sweetbooness2 (2006-06-16 23:51:11)

#6 2006-06-17 00:30:49

Tomasso

#7 2006-06-17 13:22:23

maxnharry

As I don my fireproof suit.....The only steakhouse in New York is Peter Luger's.  It is inconveniently located in Brooklyn, but the best example of a New York steakhouse from long ago.  I left the city 16 years ago, but when ever I return for the Haj, Luger's is a must stop.

#8 2006-06-17 19:31:50

sweetbooness2

What makes you consider Peter Luger the best steakhouse in the city as opposed to the also recommended Keane's? I have heard about Luger from guidebooks, but have yet to meet anyone who has dined there personally, even school friends who live in the city. They are not really the meat and potatoes type, and have only dined at The Palm.

I might also add that my favorite steak is the bone in ribeye.

Last edited by sweetbooness2 (2006-06-17 19:34:40)

#9 2006-06-17 20:31:21

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#10 2006-06-17 21:11:56

sweetbooness2

Thank all of you for more information to peruse.  I am adding names to a list that continues to grow, having added Wolfgang's and the Burger Joint tonight. FNB, I have eaten at The Palm in D.C., and think that once is enough.

I agree that Smith and Wollensky makes a wonderful steak. Oddly enough, the best steak I have ever tasted came from Bookbinder's.

#11 2006-06-17 22:13:34

Horace

I don't know what Sparks is like today, but it was one of my favorites, once upon a time, and I ate there frequently.  In the mid-80's, with the strong dollar, they had one of the best wine lists in town (and this was before the "general" popularity of French wines in the 80's).  We had a couple of very reasonably priced but very good bottles of Petrus during the same week that Castallano (sp?) got whacked there.  Now, of course, Petrus is grossly expensive as are a lot of the good French wines.

Much less expensive but still good was Wally's steakhouse in mid-town.   I think it's gone.  Really old school.

Of course Peter Lugars in Brooklyn is good.  They used to only take cash.  Maybe they take credit cards now.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#12 2006-06-17 23:44:36

Tomasso

#13 2006-06-18 10:26:50

passingtime

#14 2006-06-18 14:38:02

maxnharry

#15 2006-06-18 18:41:40

maxnharry

#16 2006-06-18 19:08:14

sweetbooness2

It really isn't fair posting these burger pictures for a man who lives in a city adrift in Burger Kings and Hardees.

Board footer