You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-20 11:25:24

Miles Away

"Fit" - Man's greatest enemy !!

(I know this is stupid, but ...)

I'm trying to think of somebody cool & stylish who's clothes really 'fitted' them.
Help me out?
The man who's clothes fitted him best that I can think of is Cecil Beaton. This is because he often wore RTW in a size down from his own... (True story!)
And how did Cecil look?
.. Well, not brilliant...
A bit funny really...

In bespoke & MTM I look a bit of a clothes horse. Put me in RTW with a few tailored alterations and I look much better for a fraction of the price. WTF?
I'm happy for you to tell me that that's just me & my own eye for these things, but my point is that the OVERLY tailored look is a damn odd look. Not quite right somehow.
To quote Chris H. : " Get the fit right around the shoulders" (OK, those weren't his actual words, but they come very close). And I think Mr C. was bang on the money - all the rest can be altered, or not (even), it's up to you.
Tailoring can become such a fetish that you can end up worrying about 1/16th of an inch and end up looking... well, ... certainly well tailored, ... but not really very well dressed.  Am I alone in thinking this?

Miles.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-06-21 01:07:52

Horace

Re: "Fit" - Man's greatest enemy !!

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#3 2006-06-21 02:38:07

Miles Away

I'm just seeing a lot of guys in well tailored clothes and they're starting to look too good. Hard to put into words... The clothes seem to be wearing them to an extent. The fit is so good, so correct that the end result is too... studied?
I just think that the quest for this kind of perfection can be overdone & then it backfires on you - it starts to detract from the way you are trying to present yourself.
Obviously clothes should fit, but it's all this ultra-well fitted stuff that seems to lack character to me.
I love clothes as much as the next man, but I don't want to dress in a way which seems to advertise the fact.
(Either this is an almost clever point or a pretty dumb one, I can't decide which.)

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#4 2006-06-22 10:46:33

Get Smart

I see it a tad differently, as in men wearing very well tailored garments but not looking much better than another man, well put together, but wearing RTW.  This isnt to say that bespoke isnt worth the money, but oftentimes it does seem that a well informed RTW sartorialist can look much better than one who is less informed but wears bespoke.

#5 2006-06-22 11:33:31

Miles Away

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#6 2006-06-27 20:05:21

Tomasso

In the matter of garments(and most other things), the quality of material and construction are relatively easy to agree upon but when cut and fit are discussed...........   God(Devil) is in the details.

#7 2006-06-29 00:52:14

Miles Away

Can't argue with that.
And within any 'look' (Ivy etc.) there is scope to do it in a variety of ways. I'm just moving towards a more relaxed aspect of how I dress. A looser fitting, slightly more 'careless' look. It just seems to suit my life more at the moment.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

Board footer